Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA fudging on time departure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
AA fudging on time departure

UPDATE- It turns out the following reflects an issue with the SMS and app, but Flight Tracker has the correct departure time and my thread title is incorrect, at least in this instance.

AA 384 Mia-Lax pushed back a couple minutes early at 5:27. But there was someone without a seat, so back to the gate.

Get a revised departure via text and email, 5:53pm. Pulled away from the gate at 5:47pm , get a text with new departure time, 5:30! Exactly on time.

i saw this happen once before (showing that we departed on time while still at the gate with the door open), but that flight was too late, eventually corrected to the truth.

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 27, 2019 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
i've seen this several times. This and questionable delays where it updates and sets the new departure time to 25 minutes in the past
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
What I would really like to know was who was important enough to go back to the gate. Thought they swore that off forever.

Did anybody say "Hi Doug"? Or if it looked like an FAM; pretend they didn't actually go back?

Last edited by jayer; Jan 26, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
What I would really like to know was who was important enough to go back to the gate. Thought they swore that forever.

Did anybody say "Hi Doug"? Or if it looked like an FAM; pretend they didn't actually go back?
Obviously they went back to the gate to get Barclay credit cards applications loaded! Cuz no flight can take off without it!
asnovici, nancypants and jtav559 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
No-one was picked up; someone offloaded.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Something doesn't make sense here. How did the plane door get closed and push back start with someone out of his/her seat? Was s/he in the bathroom and the flight attendants didn't realize it? If so, what happened to the seat they supposedly had on their boarding pass?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Something doesn't make sense here. How did the plane door get closed and push back start with someone out of his/her seat? Was s/he in the bathroom and the flight attendants didn't realize it? If so, what happened to the seat they supposedly had on their boarding pass?
Who knows, don't care. Could have been that, or a child on a lap at the time of head count that had their own seat, or a cello that got it's own seat but wasn't counted at final count. I'm sure there are other possibilities, matters not.

I assume the offloaded person was an employee flying standby but all I cared about was how long the delay was and it was only 20 minutes between original push off from the gate and second one, so I was ok with it.

Of course if they weren't rushing for D0, it wouldn't have happened in the first place. The issue really isn't the delay, it's the fudging of departure time to show on time.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Who knows, don't care. Could have been that, or a child on a lap at the time of head count that had their own seat, or a cello that got it's own seat but wasn't counted at final count. I'm sure there are other possibilities, matters not.
It matters because the flight technically left on time. I also care because I don't quite believe the story.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
My favorite is when they push back on time then sit there for 15 minutes

What a joke.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:58 pm
C46

Originally Posted by enviroian
My favorite is when they push back on time then sit there for 15 minutes

What a joke.
An airline can hardly advise ATC, how to assign slots.
And if the gate is needed for an arriving flight, why not push back and wait on the taxiway!?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Honestly - it's arrival time that I care about...

In other words -once I'm seated on the plane no big deal if a flight pushes back 15 minutes late, or posts an "incorrect" departure, if it then arrives on time....
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
AA 384 Mia-Lax pushed back a couple minutes early at 5:27. But there was someone without a seat, so back to the gate.

Get a revised departure via text and email, 5:53pm. Pulled away from the gate at 5:47pm , get a text with new departure time, 5:30! Exactly on time.

i saw this happen once before (showing that we departed on time while still at the gate with the door open), but that flight was to late, eventually corrected to the truth.

SMS messages are not always received immediately. It is possible the 5:30 message was sent first and was delayed, and the later time message was actually sent after it, but received earlier.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
Honestly - it's arrival time that I care about...

In other words -once I'm seated on the plane no big deal if a flight pushes back 15 minutes late, or posts an "incorrect" departure, if it then arrives on time....
That was not the case here as the website says it departed at 5:46, not the 5:30 time the OP thought they were claiming.
I suspect the 5:30 PM info was simply a delayed SMS message.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by C46
An airline can hardly advise ATC, how to assign slots.
And if the gate is needed for an arriving flight, why not push back and wait on the taxiway!?
I'm not talking about pushing back to the apron and start the engines I'm talking about pushing back 3 feet and stopping. It's quite apparent they want to post on time "push back" times but were well aware they weren't going anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.