Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does AA Gold or having a baby allow us to choose seats when booking Basic Econ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

My wife was targeted for a trial of AA Gold and also has the Citi AA Platinum card. We are planning a flight in a few months in which we will have a lap infant and of course we want to sit together. I know a major downside of BR is no seat selection; but does having AA Gold, the Citi card, or traveling as a family allow us to choose seats?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Pretty sure the answer is, no.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
No, there are no ways to get a pre-selected seat with BE. it is not the right product for everyone's circumstances.
boss315 and chitink like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Usually the fares are only $50.00 more to be able to choose your set.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My wife was targeted for a trial of AA Gold and also has the Citi AA Platinum card. We are planning a flight in a few months in which we will have a lap infant and of course we want to sit together. I know a major downside of BR is no seat selection; but does having AA Gold, the Citi card, or traveling as a family allow us to choose seats?

No. BE means BE.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: as pointed out below op case is for travel with lap child so the following is irrelevant..
On every single carrier i have flown with kids i was seated together with them without paying extra for seat assignment. This month ir was westjet and air canada. Last month scoot and air asia.
i have not tried aa basic economy but they state rhe following:
If you don't choose seats in Main Cabin or Basic Economy within 48 hours of buying tickets, we will attempt to assign children under 15 with at least one adult they're traveling with.

Last edited by azepine00; Jan 24, 2019 at 11:08 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
On every single carrier i have flown with kids i was seated together with them without paying extra for seat assignment. This month ir was westjet and air canada. Last month scoot and air asia.
i have not tried aa basic economy though...
The OP's situation involves two parents traveling with one lap infant. Obviously, the lap infant will be in the same seat as one of the parents. What the OP is asking is whether the second parent can expect to be seated next to the first parent and infant. That's a very different situation than a parent who is traveling with, say, a four-year-old.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP's situation involves two parents traveling with one lap infant. Obviously, the lap infant will be in the same seat as one of the parents. What the OP is asking is whether the second parent can expect to be seated next to the first parent and infant. That's a very different situation than a parent who is traveling with, say, a four-year-old.
good point - this is indeed a different scenario
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:10 am

OP is simply asking if there is a policy that allows them to sit together, seems like a pretty reasonable question to ask especially considering many times airlines do make special exceptions for people traveling with infants. See: United and Delta auto upgrading to Economy+ or Premium Economy for free when you request bassinet seating (from econ).

Considering the OP is hardly coming across as entitled, and is simply asking a question, maybe don't make a snarky reply that contributes nothing.

As far as I know, they do their best to keep you seated together, however it is not guaranteed so perhaps booking regular economy is the best option for you and the family.
MarkOK likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 25, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than debating the issue, why not just look at the website,. It provides a plain English and simple answer:

1. International: Yes, seat selection at time of booking. But, there is a fee.
2. Domestic. Yes, at T-48 for a fee. Otherwise assigned by AA at check-in.

OP should review the rest of the chart for the specifics of BE and what Gold does and does not get.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp
dw likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
The quick answer of course is no to the questions the OP asks for. BE's seat restrictions are irregardless of credit cards and statuses. Now, with a ticketed kid, AA has a policy to seat the minor with at least one parent and will most likely assign seats so that the kid sits with one (and often both) parents (to seats of AA's choosing), but as a lap infant, I don't know how AA sees the situation of sitting -both- parents with the lap infant. They are certainly under no obligation to seat the parents together by hard policy, and I am not aware of any soft policy or common practice with regards to two parents with a lap infant.

You could and should pay for seat assignments together at check in (if available) if it is a huge deal to sit together and you just want to be sure of it. With airline travel, you should always buy what you really want -- asking for special treatment is bad practice and often doesn't work. Still, if seat assignments are not available together for payment, and if you are given seat assignments apart (or none at all until at the gate), you could (and I would) ask kindly to the gate agent that if possible that you get seated together so both of you can handle the infant as needed -- AA sits aside certain rows for accomodating situations and if these seats aren't needed for other things already it may be 'easy' for the gate agent to do so. (But, you very well may be out of luck, these seats could be needed already for other parents with accompanied ticketed minors on BE fares that don't yet have seats -- like I mentioned, AA does have a policy to try to sit together ticketed kids with 1 parent). Best of luck though, good gate agents would recognize that logistically for the parents, and for the comfort of other passengers, there is a benefit towards putting two parents with the infant and AA has some decent gate agents, but it is completely unreliable that your flight will have one (which is why if you can pay for seats together at check in, you should just do so).
dw likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DaCus3
OP is simply asking if there is a policy that allows them to sit together, seems like a pretty reasonable question to ask especially considering many times airlines do make special exceptions for people traveling with infants. See: United and Delta auto upgrading to Economy+ or Premium Economy for free when you request bassinet seating (from econ).

Considering the OP is hardly coming across as entitled, and is simply asking a question, maybe don't make a snarky reply that contributes nothing.

As far as I know, they do their best to keep you seated together, however it is not guaranteed so perhaps booking regular economy is the best option for you and the family.
GOOD LUCK GETTING DL TO UPGRADE YOU FOR FREE INTO THEIR NEW PREMIUM ECONOMY PRODUCT just because you've requested a basinette (which isn't something that DL guarantees anyway). I'm quite confident it won't happen for this reason, although it could happen that DL gives an OPUP into PS to a DM or PM who happens to have a lap child, which can happen only on a flight for which coach is oversold.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please refer to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html. The Wikipost at the top of the page defines Basic Economy restrictions and exceptions.

Overly personalized comments and dilatory or off topic content have been deleted.

Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
read the rules before you book!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA

No.
The seat selection restriction applies to all passengers including:
-AA Gold
-Citicard holders
-Couples

With Basic Economy you can select seats for a fee 48 hours prior to departure (But then why not pay upfront regular economy/Main Cabin).

With that said, the system will try to get you two seats together, but many times that's impossible as at check-in, only middle seats are left.
At the gate, you can request the GA to change your seats so you and spouse are together. BUT, several things will come into play for the GA to honor your request: 1) That there are actually two seats together available 2) That the flight is not too busy (as opposed to a flight with dozens of people on standy/IRROPS, etc that have the GA working hard trying to get the flight out with no time for special requests) 3) You might not be the only couple/family on Basic Economy requesting seats together and 10 other groups/people have already made a seat request with the GA and they probably have issues just as reasonable (or more) as yours (having a lap infant); and 4) ultimately, it will depend on the GA's mood, as the GA has absolutely no obligation to try to accommodate your request.

If it is really that important to you, just pay for Main Cabin. You will be able to pick a MCE seat at check in (as GLD, I have always found those available as higher status pax clear their upgrades and move to First Class).

JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.