Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium economy award redemption as of 24 Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Premium Economy awards can be booked on at least some partner airlines.

This booking "tool" includes PE awards

Booking class for MileSAAver Premium Economy is X class.

MileSAAver is appearing to be:
US-Europe 40,000 miles
US-Asia 50,000 miles
... but can be less

Link to Gary Leff’s View From the Wing page

Aircraft with Premium Economy:

Airbus A330-200
Boeing 777-200 and -300
Boeing 787-8 in retrofit currently, completion expected by Q3
Boeing 787-9

Gary Leff States there will not be any associated upgrade changes (Y to PE, PE to J) at this time.

Link to AA AAdvantage flight award chart including PE

Print Wikipost

Premium economy award redemption as of 24 Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by hargobind
Ahhh, can't see the link anymore...if you can still access it or find it through your web history, would you mind posting the link to the new award booking search page?
You have to follow the instructions exactly. Did you check the box next to "Redeem Miles" (but not on the home page, only after Plan travel/Flights)?

Anyway the link is https://www.aa.com/booking/find-flights/award
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
www.aa.com/booking/search?from=lax&to=TYO&depart=2019-01-28&pax=2&eliteLevel=executivePlatinum&milesBalance =412509&cabin=&type=OneWay&errors&App-Token&locale=en_US&pos=US

interesting, if you look at the URL that the new search engine passes when you do a search it includes your elite status and mileage balance. This suggests to me that searches may finally include the "hidden" extra inventory that is supposed to be available to EXP and CK (similar to what DL and United already do I believe).

It also passes your mileage balance which is interesting. The optimist in me thinks that they need that perhaps because they will let you book awards that you don't yet have enough miles for. The pessimist in me thinks its because they will charge higher prices for people with more miles :-)

Trying to figure out the cabin code for PE, i tried W for the LAX-NRT legs and got 32.5K. Is that the Saaver miles for PE between US and N. Asia??? We will find out tomorrow I guess. (If so there is plenty of availability for that.)

UPDATE: No the 32.5K for economy saaver. Can't figure out what code they are using for premium economy, maybe someone else can. Tool is down now anyway.
E55 likes this.

Last edited by BillBurn; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:48 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Looks very much like a 'work in progress' at this time. I can access the new tool which states that PE awards can be booked with it but the dropdown of travel classes doesn't give you that option.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:07 pm

The interface is basically just like the mobile search webpage right now...especially since the actual calendar feature is still "coming soon".
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by BillBurn
www.aa.com/booking/search?from=lax&to=TYO&depart=2019-01-28&pax=2&eliteLevel=executivePlatinum&milesBalance =412509&cabin=&type=OneWay&errors&App-Token&locale=en_US&pos=US

interesting, if you look at the URL that the new search engine passes when you do a search it includes your elite status and mileage balance. This suggests to me that searches may finally include the "hidden" extra inventory that is supposed to be available to EXP and CK (similar to what DL and United already do I believe).

It also passes your mileage balance which is interesting. The optimist in me thinks that they need that perhaps because they will let you book awards that you don't yet have enough miles for. The pessimist in me thinks its because they will charge higher prices for people with more miles :-)

Trying to figure out the cabin code for PE, i tried W for the LAX-NRT legs and got 32.5K. Is that the Saaver miles for PE between US and N. Asia??? We will find out tomorrow I guess. (If so there is plenty of availability for that.)

UPDATE: No the 32.5K for economy saaver. Can't figure out what code they are using for premium economy, maybe someone else can. Tool is down now anyway.
I don't think that they're using a separate fare bucket for PE, since they're out of letters. This is presumably why they are unable to offer PE awards to partners, since there's no availability to publish to a GDS. (Not offering partner PE awards to AAdvantage customers is just laziness.)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Did they say when on the 24th? ;-))
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Score8
PE awards are now listed via the link given above; but I haven't seen any SAAver PE awards. Europe was 110K one way. for the flights I wanted.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Honors GLD, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by Score8
Welp....

For reference...earlier this AM i looked at this flight for miles and it was 57k each way for business.

SO yea... ...
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Let's all hope some of this is a glitch. As the post above me shows, I am also getting some wacky and insane numbers to Europe. I also tried Hawaii, and for HNL premium isn't even showing up, yet economy is 180K and First is 270K!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by airb330
Let's all hope some of this is a glitch.
Of course it is, plus Anytime awards showing
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Of course it is, plus Anytime awards showing
Great, that's what I figured.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:07 am

I see Premium on Hawaii around Spring Break

Main Cabin 50K, Premium Economy 85K, First 110K

The day before has Saaver for Main Cabin and First (new 80K + 7.5K lie flat premium)

Main Cabin 20K, Premium 65K, First 87.5K

Premium shows as W class

*Adding some more
MC/PE/FIRST
3/10 KOA-DFW
20K/105K/145K

3/13 KOA-DFW
20K/65K/87.5K

3/14 KOA-DFW
50K/85K/110K

My guess is we have 65K for Saaver, 85K for Aanytime 1, 105K for Aanytime 2

Last edited by jliehr; Jan 24, 2019 at 9:17 am Reason: fixed PE cost and added additional info
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Honors GLD, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by airb330
Let's all hope some of this is a glitch.
I'm not so sure it's a glitch.

I changed the dates to Nov and got something more reasonable - but OCT was still pretty crazy.

NOV:

Feels like PE is replaces the business award booking and the rest was bumped up - as if they have made business/first better to justify the extra cost.

This all feels like when Basic Econ was introduced. I mean - PE is def better - but Business and FC didn't get better but the awards sure charge more!

Feels like a devaluation of existing miles. Went from having enough for a few business (r/t) awards to a couple of PE (r/t) awards.
jtav559 and E55 like this.

Last edited by not_the_walrus; Jan 24, 2019 at 9:16 am Reason: added a line!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Looks like PE is live now. NA to Asia 1 for PE is 80K Anytime Level 1, 105K Aanytime Level 2, vs. Y Saaver at 35K, Aanytime 1 62.5 and Aanytime Level 2 80K. Can't fine a PE Saaver award yet...

Last edited by BillBurn; Jan 24, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by not_the_walrus
I'm not so sure it's a glitch.

I changed the dates to Nov and got something more reasonable - but OCT was still pretty crazy.

Feels like PE is replaces the business award booking and the rest was bumped up - as if they have made business/first better to justify the extra cost.

This all feels like when Basic Econ was introduced. I mean - PE is def better - but Business and FC didn't get better but the awards sure charge more!

Feels like a devaluation of existing miles. Went from having enough for a few business (r/t) awards to a couple of PE (r/t) awards.
NO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.