Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club access for Club members while flying on AS / Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

I often fly out of T2 at SFO, sometimes on American, sometimes on Alaska. I have a Citi AAdvantage Executive Mastercard so I get access to Admirals Clubs, For a long time, I've accessed the Admirals Club at SFO even when flying on Alaska because of my membership through the card.

I'm a little confused about recent changes to Admirals Club access rules. Can I no longer access the Admirals Club when I'm flying on Alaska (assuming it's not an AA codeshare or partner flight)?

Thanks in advance for any information you have.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
You're good for now until (IIRC) October or November. It'd be interesting to read the rules on partner carriers - AS is a partner carrier just not on all flights.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
IIRC buying an Alaska club membership gets you into ACs too and is now less expensive.

Only select Admirals Clubs May be accessed by Alaska Lounge members.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 18, 2019 at 9:12 am Reason: Strike out incorrect information and correct before it becomes accepted
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by donotblink
IIRC buying an Alaska club membership gets you into ACs too and is now less expensive.

I believe thats true, but an AS club membership doesnt get you into a lot of clubs that an AC membership will get you into on a reciprocal basis.

Indeed from the AA website - "Your Admirals Club® membership also gives you access to over 60 partner lounges in select domestic and international destinations."
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jan 18, 2019 at 8:06 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It won't get you in at SFO.

Members do not have access to the Admirals Club in San Francisco.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...tion-and-hours
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
It will get you into Cathay if traveling international though.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Does it have to be an international flight? SFO doesn't restrict what terminals you enter as long as you have a boarding pass. I was in the UA terminal twice the last week for breakfast while booked on Alaska domestic flights.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sictransit
I often fly out of T2 at SFO, sometimes on American, sometimes on Alaska. I have a Citi AAdvantage Executive Mastercard so I get access to Admirals Clubs, For a long time, I've accessed the Admirals Club at SFO even when flying on Alaska because of my membership through the card.

I'm a little confused about recent changes to Admirals Club access rules. Can I no longer access the Admirals Club when I'm flying on Alaska (assuming it's not an AA codeshare or partner flight)?

Thanks in advance for any information you have.
No changes for you by virtue of your Club membership and that AA and AS have a reciprocal lounge access agreement.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ns-2019-a.html

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ip.jsp#changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines will be required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, marketed and operated by American Airlines or Alaska Airlines in any combination
MarkY123 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 18, 2019 at 9:14 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

To be clear, I believe "select Admirals Club locations" is every location except SFO. I see no reason to expect that to change unless AA and AS drop their lounge partnership altogether (which I'd also put in the possible but not expected category, with no particular knowledge). AA excludes AS members from SFO for an obvious and specific reason which doesn't apply to any other airport: SFO is an AS hub with no AS lounge in which AA and AS share gate space, so it's unsurprising that AS lounge members would quickly overwhelm the Admirals Club. The lounge partnership is about extending each other's lounge network, not AA subsidizing VX/AS's decision not to build a lounge in one of their main hubs.
worldwidedreamer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
To be clear, I believe "select Admirals Club locations" is every location except SFO. I see no reason to expect that to change unless AA and AS drop their lounge partnership altogether (which I'd also put in the possible but not expected category, with no particular knowledge). AA excludes AS members from SFO for an obvious and specific reason which doesn't apply to any other airport: SFO is an AS hub with no AS lounge in which AA and AS share gate space, so it's unsurprising that AS lounge members would quickly overwhelm the Admirals Club. The lounge partnership is about extending each other's lounge network, not AA subsidizing VX/AS's decision not to build a lounge in one of their main hubs.
The list, regardless of reasons, is attached below.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Since when are there two ACs in NRT?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Since when are there two ACs in NRT?

-FlyerBeek
Since Alaska built us a new one. On paper, anyway.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:27 am
Original Poster

I'm an Admirals Club member through the AAdvantage Executive Mastercard, not an Alaska Lounge member, but my question is whether I would still have access to the American lounge at SFO when I'm flying on an Alaska flight that isn't specifically a partner flight for American.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

But my question is whether, as an Admirals Club member (via the AAdvantage Executive Mastercard) I can access the SFO Admirals Club even though I'm flying on Alaska, with an Alaska boarding pass, on a flight that isn't specifically an American partner flight.

I'm an Admirals Club member, not an Alaska Lounge member.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by sictransit
I'm an Admirals Club member through the AAdvantage Executive Mastercard, not an Alaska Lounge member, but my question is whether I would still have access to the American lounge at SFO when I'm flying on an Alaska flight that isn't specifically a partner flight for American.
Yes. There is no language limiting which Admirals Clubs Admirals Club members can access. Admirals Club members must be flying on a oneworld or Alaska flight (starting Nov 1); you will be doing that.

It is only Alaska Lounge members who are excluded from the SFO AC.
osotoc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.