Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What is the Longest Upgrade List Ever????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Longest Upgrade List Ever????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run
I've seen long lists, where I've been #3 . With the 'new' system of status, price paid for ticket, and date ticket issued - #3 became #8 in a blink of the eye.
Unfortunately, nothing to do with either price paid for ticket or date issued. All about rolling 12 month revenue..
enviroian and chitink like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Fascinating - I rarely see these massive lists on my AA flights (maybe because I relatively rarely fly to DFW...)

I do see this all the time on UA where even Silvers get auto-upgrades (though of course rarely clear) vs. Plat/Gold on AA having to burn stickers if the flight is over 500 miles. Since on UA every single elite on the plane is on the list, it can get quite crazy. SEA-ORD the Monday morning after Thanksgiving once had 75+ people on it for me.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I rarely see long ones on AA like I do on DL and UA. The longest I've seen is 44 for CLT-RDU. I think I was #14 on that one as a Platinum.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Or, the second alternate, people book a widebody because at least 20 or 24 of them managed to land a premium economy seat and view that is "good enough" and an upgrade from PE seating to first is just an added bonus?
This is exactly our situation... we now typically only book what we are willing to settle with, PE on overnight flights, then hope/pray and check EF every 2 minutes for an upgrade!
Nicc HK likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CMK10
I rarely see long ones on AA like I do on DL and UA.
Because AA doesn't give out complimentary upgrades to Platinums and Golds - AA requires 500-mile stickers. Lots of Plats and Golds won't request an upgrade and be forced to use 2 stickers on a 600-mile hop without a meal. If AA gave complimentary upgrades to all elites on all routes, then I'm sure the AA lists would be just as long as UA and DL.
fotographer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
the one where I am next to get an upgrade but I don't get it. that's the longest one every single time.
Nicc HK and jcatman like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Lately, every single flight I have been on (no matter time of day it seems) to or.out of DFW is 30-50 long. As a low EQD plat pro, I am somewhere between 15-25 on every flight and either 0 or 1 upgrade clears. Only exception, on my Dec 26th DFW-MIA 772 flight where an in-progress irrop T-storm situation* must have resulted in many disconnects as a sold-out J cabin turned into a whopping 15 people clearing at the gate (I was still number 22 though on a list of ~50).

*Flight was during the beginning act of what became a well-documented 2 day event of irrops across texas the week after christmas. Pilot mentioned just after our 5 minute early pushback that DFW went on ground-closure due to the very obvious lightning everywhere.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
Not the longest list, but an odd one. PBI-CLT with a 10:09a departure on THU (elite heavy day) and was an A319, so only 8 seats upfront. My first ever flight out of PBI and now see that it is somewhat of a unicorn airport in the domestic system.

Upgrade list had 27 entries and from a quick scan, I would bet all 8 F were paid. That is 590 mile segment, mid-morning route, no meal, and took less than 80 minutes in the air.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HawkSE
Not the longest list, but an odd one. PBI-CLT with a 10:09a departure on THU (elite heavy day) and was an A319, so only 8 seats upfront. My first ever flight out of PBI and now see that it is somewhat of a unicorn airport in the domestic system.

Upgrade list had 27 entries and from a quick scan, I would bet all 8 F were paid. That is 590 mile segment, mid-morning route, no meal, and took less than 80 minutes in the air.
I fly in and out of PBI a lot and PBI is almost always full of paid F, especially in the winter months. I don't think I've ever seen a 20+ upgrade list though for PBI as it's not a business-heavy route.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Because AA doesn't give out complimentary upgrades to Platinums and Golds - AA requires 500-mile stickers. Lots of Plats and Golds won't request an upgrade and be forced to use 2 stickers on a 600-mile hop without a meal. If AA gave complimentary upgrades to all elites on all routes, then I'm sure the AA lists would be just as long as UA and DL.
Yes I'm fully aware of this but I see longer upgrade routes on DL's ATL-RDU flights than I do on any sub-500 mile flight on AA where AA gives free upgrades to every elite including RDU-CLT which is a major elite heavy route.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:30 pm

DFW-PHX tonight on an A-321. 42 on the list and I'm #7 as an EXP with $16K EQD last year and about $2.5K this year. Pretty rough for a flight on which you have to be PRO+ or using instruments to try and clear.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CMK10
DFW-PHX tonight on an A-321. 42 on the list and I'm #7 as an EXP with $16K EQD last year and about $2.5K this year. Pretty rough for a flight on which you have to be PRO+ or using instruments to try and clear.
How many cleared?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by AA100k

How many cleared?
One. Sadly it wasn't me
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Longest I've seen domestically on AA was back in December on a LAX-DFW 789 flight. About 60 on the list.
k, I've now got a new personal record: 64 for IAH-DFW. I was #18 ....
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Literally ZERO people on the upgrade list LGA-MIA....I get it’s a Saturday and spring break but I’ve never seen this before.

Guess that’s one bright spot for AA in NYC.....most have left for Delta already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.