Wiki Posts
Search

Priority checkin for Y/Y/PY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Priority checkin for Y/Y/PY

I emailed AA about this, but I made the mistake of asking two questions and they rang me, answered one, ignored this one, and then hung up

I'm flying AA in a couple of weeks and am in Y for the NA legs then PY for the TPAC leg. So assuming I don't clear the waitlist or get a reasonable upgrade offer at OLCI - can I use any priority services at YYZ on the outbound? I know I can't use the lounge without a pass, more priority check in/security I'm curious about especially as I'm aware there could be longer queues than normal clearing immigration in YYZ. I'm assuming not, and all I'll get is Group 4 on the BPs (at best - I'm in MCE if that makes a difference).

I could only find a thread that confirmed PY makes me eligible for these ... if I was checking into a direct PY flight.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I have always been able to use priority security at YYZ, but since I have a NEXUS that makes the whole customs and security almost trivial.

I would assume that if you get a boarding pass for the PE leg that prints when you check in they may allow you to use it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I don't think YYZ security offers priority for PE anyway regardless of the flight being in Y then PE later. The signs say business class and that's not PE and they won't buy a well, my later flight is PE (I doubt if the later flight was J they would either).

And there's no priority for US pre-clearance other than NEXUS/Global entry though they do have automated passport readers which most people use.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
AA Priority Check in is hardly enforced. I would say just go to the priority counter and say I am flying Premium Economy, they wouldn’t have a problem.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I don't think YYZ security offers priority for PE anyway regardless of the flight being in Y then PE later. The signs say business class and that's not PE and they won't buy a well, my later flight is PE (I doubt if the later flight was J they would either).

And there's no priority for US pre-clearance other than NEXUS/Global entry though they do have automated passport readers which most people use.
Both good points, I hate travelling without status.

Originally Posted by shd9
AA Priority Check in is hardly enforced. I would say just go to the priority counter and say I am flying Premium Economy, they wouldn’t have a problem.
Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
It is much faster to use the kiosk than use the check-in agent anyway so not really a big gain. Early in the a.m. the agents are not even at their podiums when the kiosks work, the security and US border agents are in place so in that case it would be even less worthless.

Security for PE, nope. Immigration for PE (or any class of service), nope.

Ironically for WestJet Plus which is PE (until they roll out actual J aircraft and seats, etc.) there is priority security which is printed on the boarding pass.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It is much faster to use the kiosk than use the check-in agent anyway so not really a big gain. Early in the a.m. the agents are not even at their podiums when the kiosks work, the security and US border agents are in place so in that case it would be even less worthless.

Security for PE, nope. Immigration for PE (or any class of service), nope.

Ironically for WestJet Plus which is PE (until they roll out actual J aircraft and seats, etc.) there is priority security which is printed on the boarding pass.
I wasn't sure if I'd have any luck at a kiosk given I'm flying Y first, but the PY booking should give me a free checked bag the entire way, plus bag drop and I hate the toilet paper BPs you get at the kiosks. But perhaps AA kiosks are more technologically advanced than others?

Interesting segue off there (I'd normally ask the agent), will AA be checking my bags through to final international destination after I transverse the US first?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA tends not to enforce its "priority services" rules anyway and its general policy, although not written anywhere is that if you are connecting to a higher class of service, you get to use the "priority services" anyway.

Your bag should be checked to its final ticketed destination.

Your baggage allowance is shown of your e-ticket receipt and that is what AA will see when you check in. What does yours say?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:12 pm

Where PE is considered a priority that would make sense. His airport scenario will not work at YYZ with the immigration thing unrelated to the class of service anyway. And the Admirals Club. Interesting question if PE on the longest segment sifts backwards to the starting legs in Y.

I wonder if an agent would override the kiosk if not? In any case he can always use the kiosk and if it works, success and time saved and if not, plead the case after waiting in line.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
AA tends not to enforce its "priority services" rules anyway and its general policy, although not written anywhere is that if you are connecting to a higher class of service, you get to use the "priority services" anyway.

Your bag should be checked to its final ticketed destination.

Your baggage allowance is shown of your e-ticket receipt and that is what AA will see when you check in. What does yours say?
thanks!

defined for entire trip as

02 Pieces/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

So interesting development ... I cleared the upgrade for my first leg so am Group 1. And used priority checkin and in fact security has a priority line ahead of immigration (YYZ T3). However I got Group 6 for my row 9 main cabin extra seat on my second leg. The AA website clearly states this is Group 5.

So I rang them up, they said they can fix it at the airport. Of course, now I'm at the airport, and they can't fix it. Now sure Group 5 vs 6 is hopefully minimal, but I have a large (legal and just one) bag with stuff I can't check (DSLRs and the like) so I'm really hoping I don't have issues getting it on board. I'd also like to clear the waitlist but EF shows zeros across the entire fare class so I'm not especially hopeful!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by Often1

Thank you for this. I couldn't figure it out on the website, but then looked on original eticket. I found it there too. This is for a Y/I/I/I/Y ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.