Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Need help gaming out options for potential WX on TATL separate tix from JFK.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver

Hi all,

WAS-based, but I'm going to BCN on Saturday on a SWU from JFK (arrive Sunday AM). This is the return portion of a r/t started in the EU from earlier last year. I purchased a separate ticket (Prem Eco) several weeks ago (also burned SWU) from BCN to depart from BCN back to WAS on Monday AM (12/21). All tickets were purchased with Chase Sapphire Reserve, so travel insurance isn't an issue. The predictions for substantial WX this weekend have started getting me worried about a misconnect in BCN. Questions are:

1) Any experience with AA reaccomodating in J from a SWU on OAL in the event of WX? I've been reaccomodated during MX, but I know that reaccommodation options are more restricted in WX situation.
2) If a weather waiver is put n place, what is upgrade priority with re-clearing the SWU if I change either the inbound or outbound flight?
3) Will AA reacoomodate on the return from BCN if I misconnect due to WX in JFK? (this is all AA stock and metal).
4) Any experiences with AA staff at BCN regarding willingness to reacommodate in J on OAL?
5) I've never used Flagship check-in at JFK; Any recent (past week or so) experiences with the Flagship Checkin w/r/t the long lines? Will I still be able to arrive w/i 2.5 hours of departure or should I budget substantially more time? I'll be driving up from WAS that morning on a 1-way rental.
6) Any other considerations or obvious permutations of this scenario I'm forgetting?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
Hi all,

WAS-based, but I'm going to BCN on Saturday on a SWU from JFK (arrive Sunday AM). This is the return portion of a r/t started in the EU from earlier last year. I purchased a separate ticket (Prem Eco) several weeks ago (also burned SWU) from BCN to depart from BCN back to WAS on Monday AM (12/21). All tickets were purchased with Chase Sapphire Reserve, so travel insurance isn't an issue. The predictions for substantial WX this weekend have started getting me worried about a misconnect in BCN. Questions are:

1) Any experience with AA reaccomodating in J from a SWU on OAL in the event of WX? I've been reaccomodated during MX, but I know that reaccommodation options are more restricted in WX situation.
2) If a weather waiver is put n place, what is upgrade priority with re-clearing the SWU if I change either the inbound or outbound flight?
3) Will AA reacoomodate on the return from BCN if I misconnect due to WX in JFK? (this is all AA stock and metal).
4) Any experiences with AA staff at BCN regarding willingness to reacommodate in J on OAL?
5) I've never used Flagship check-in at JFK; Any recent (past week or so) experiences with the Flagship Checkin w/r/t the long lines? Will I still be able to arrive w/i 2.5 hours of departure or should I budget substantially more time? I'll be driving up from WAS that morning on a 1-way rental.
6) Any other considerations or obvious permutations of this scenario I'm forgetting?

Thanks in advance!
IME all of the "can I get re-accommodated in business" questions are heavily dependent on the agent you get. A good agent will rebook you straight to business on another flight while a bad one will bump you back to coach and tell you there must be upgrade space, etc. Definitely a HUCA situation (or go to a different lounge/gate/counter if you're at the airport).

If a weather waiver is put into place, I would push to get rebooked straight from DCA on Saturday, i.e. DCA-MIA-BCN or the like. This should definitely be possible but again it depends on the extent of the weather waiver and getting a good, helpful agent.

And if things get so screwed up that you risk missing your return, you should be able to get this pushed out if that's what you want. I'd recommend doing it on the same call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.