Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lost A Customer For Life (AA didn’t renew my CK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Lost A Customer For Life (AA didn’t renew my CK)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
I don’t understand the hate here. OP has met the highest level status that AA offers year after year. AA decides to drop OP because of temporary health issues. They were clearly spending top dollar with a company and have a history of doing so; I think they are justified in feeling angry about being removed from the program with no chance of an invitatiom back.
It doesn't matter why the person stopped spending money with AA - whether it be health issues, changing jobs etc - the airline doesn't really care what the reason for lack of patronage - given that it is an invitation only offering, there is no more reason for the OP to feel angry about losing it than I have for not having been offered it

Of course there is a chance of getting an invitation back by returning spending to levels where the airline decides that the person has passed the threshold to be invited back. No reason why the OP couldn't earn it back if the OP wanted to

Instead the OP has decided to take a path which will pretty much ensure no chance of an invitation by choosing to patronise UA
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Often1
What are the current BA requirements for PREM?

Every carrier has some means of singling out people for special services. Especially important if they routinely travel in F, already have lounge access and don't particularly care about boarding with a steamer trunk.
Apologies but I do not fully understand the point you are making. My assertion is that whilst BA has the premier tier without knowing the qualifying criteria it is a much smaller population than AA’s CK which, rightly or wrongly, I place closer to BA GGL rather than BA Premier.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Apologies but I do not fully understand the point you are making. My assertion is that whilst BA has the premier tier without knowing the qualifying criteria it is a much smaller population than AA’s CK which, rightly or wrongly, I place closer to BA GGL rather than BA Premier.
It does not matter.

The point is that there are no published criteria for CK or PREM. Thus, when someone drops into the Other Ranks, one can't know exactly how or why that happened other than that he became less profitable in some manner. Specifically, that one cannot look to segments, tier points, dollars, and the like as absolutes.

Thus, even OP does not know where he fit into the CK scheme before he was dropped. Perhaps he was marginal to begin with and was only added for a 10th year because he had been "loyal" for nine years.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by UAfreqflyer
I have spent the last 10 years as a Concierge Key flier with AA. I've enjoyed the perks but have also logged millions of miles and spent 100's of thousands of dollars with them. Last year I had back surgery and couldn't fly for quite some time and AA dropped me from CK in no-time flat. No warning. No letter. No chance to earn back the privileges, just bumped out! My actual flight miles earned me EXP status but I never even got a welcome packet or new card for that, in spite of asking several times. When I asked about special consideration because of my surgery, I was told that EXP is their highest level within AAdvantage and I would receive excellent service. As one who had been pampered with CK, I can tell you that EXP is not nearly the same. Couple that with the decline in service and I will happily move back to UA where I am 1K for life. Anyone else experiencing declines in service quality and care for customers at AA?
If you read posts by many former CKs who are no longer (including me), there is no such thing as a "soft landing".
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I think a thing that doesn't happen enough in life and, almost universally doesn't happen online, is just acknowledging the feeling:

You are right to be mad and angry and disappointed. You've been in a relationship with AA for a long time and it sounds like you've contributed quite a lot to that relationship. It sounds like they aren't meeting you where you are. And that sucks. It probably feels like a massive middle finger and like your loyalty isn't even acknowledged, let alone reciprocated. You have every reason to be mad and disappointed and upset.

I don't know what AA should do, or what you should do. But I know that your feelings are yours and that makes them valid and, if you're anything like me, sometimes you just need to share them and be heard. Lord knows I've made my share of similar posts. And usually, in some small part, what I want is to be told I'm not insane (we'll leave my sanity to the adjudication of another thread). All I know is that if it were me, I'd be mad too. I'd feel disappointed that my loyalty didn't feel reciprocated. And those are valid feelings.

I hope AA fixes things for you, or that you find another port in the storm.
I'm not sure if that was about a breakup or an airline loyalty program, either way it was beautiful.
JonNYC, Gringa and laagima like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
While I feel for the OP (you're health is most important!), I agree that AA likely could have handled it better. However, CK is not a guarantee and we can only guess at the requirements. Let's face it a lot of status is simply a business transaction; isn't it generally regarded that EXP is better than 1K? So, unless UA's route network truly works better for the OP, isn't it more logical to keep flying AA as EXP for 2019? Perhaps since it isn't me personally, I am missing the emotional aspect.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
My 2 cents:

The various loyalty programs (airline, hotel, shopper cards, etc) are not there to reward you for past purchases. They are there to incentivize future purchases.

"Spend $xx with us (or fly yy miles) and next year you will see these great benefits."

They want to motivate you to do things that are otherwise against your best interests, such as book a less convenient flight or pay more for a ticket on their airline vs a more convenient flight for less money on the competition. It's all about the future, not the past.

The OP had back surgery and this is something I know quite well. My husband had spinal cord surgery in 2008 and I know from experience that his post-surgery self just cannot do the kinds of things his younger, pre-injury self could do. I'm talking about things like sprinting through an airport (he can't sprint any where any time) or sitting on long flights without discomfort. I extend my sincere best wishes to the OP for a fast and complete recovery.

The airlines (as well as other "loyalty" program admins) hear every day from people who have become very accustomed to perks of high status, but for some Life Change event have not been able to re-qualify. The question for these decision-making admins is when and under what circumstances do they make an exception and reinstate the high status.

A huge problem is that many of these Life Changes also result in a permanent reduction in spend, especially when the immediate past has evidence of reduced spend.

-Surgery (in this case) might result in the customer being physically unable to fly as often as they used to.
-Retirement and obvious reduction in employer-paid travel.
-Job change and reduction in travel.
-Birth of a child and time priorities changed to the needs of the baby.
-Needs of a family member (elderly parent, teenaged child) taking precedence over long absences with travel.
-Need to delegate work related travel to younger up-and-coming employees so they gain experience.

We all grow older and with age comes changes in our life situations. At 64, I am well aware of my own limitations. It's only human to wish for the same perks and benefits (as well as the agile body) we had when we were younger.

However, in the cold cruel eyes of the bean-counters (and I am a bean-counter extraordinaire), those folks with Life Changes that have resulted in lower spend are (1) likely to remain in lower spend and (2) are simply no longer entitled to the benefits of high status. Let them regain the status like anyone else, if they can: Spend $$$.
Andriyko, Often1, FAA1996 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
I understand the OP's frustration and, personally, have found AA's customer support and executives to be far more human than other airlines. Unsure whether OP has opted to reach out to someone outside of traditional support e-mails, but I'd be surprised to hear if the airline was not willing to show some compassion to the situation.

I know we're all different, but I strived to hit CK last year. Didn't make it, but alongside the journey, it also became apparent to me that, for my situation, all I was really after was upgrade to First on the LAX-JFK route. The additional perks mattered little to me, and for my lifestyle, I just wanted a private lie-flat seat after long business days. Paying out of pocket for the seat to guarantee what setup is worthwhile. I feel valued as a customer even though I was a few thousand shy of where I think CK requirement was, and hope the OP finds this airline to offer enough to continue service.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Man... I know many in this forum are pragmatic and practical, but damn you all are cold! Look, if I had CK for 10 years and they didn't renew me because I had surgery, I would be seriously mad! It may not be as reasonable as some may want or expect, but I would still be mad. The OP has every right to be mad. Hell, I had a baby this year and was afraid I would lose my CK status after 3 years and if I did, I would be MAD! Fortunately I didn't...

So yeah, many of you can post about how its a $$$ game and he didn't spent so he doesn't deserve to be renewed. Blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, assuming what the OP says is true, 10 years of CK worthy spend deserves some type of compassion by the airline for having a life event that caused a lapse in his ability to meet the requirements. 10 YEARS! I do not believe there are many in this forum who have been CK for 10 years. Give the guy a break! I can't imagine what the OP must be feeling for giving 10 yrs of loyalty and receiving none back when he needs and deserves it...

It's so sad that in this industry, like many others, loyalty is often a one-way street.

To the OP, I hope AA gains a heart and at least engages you in a conversation about this situation. If going to UA is the best course of action, I wish you luck. Make the best choice for yourself because being loyal has very little meaning anymore.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
If OP remains committed to flying AA this year, I believe a $50k AirPass membership will automatically provide CK status. Depending on the type of travel OP typically does, might be beneficial to look into this option if remaining CK is so important.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:40 am

AA wouldn't do this

Originally Posted by hotintx
I would bet my mortgage on the fact he wasn't CK for 10 years.

To answer the question of "how can you say that, you don't know?" I know enough about the program to know that someone wouldn't be nominated for that long, and then "dropped" as OP suggest.
So, you take OP's point: A CK qualifier for 10 years running should - would, you believe - get a little consideration here.

I don't know, but certainly reasonable for OP to ask, and to feel some measure of disappointment at negative response. After all, the whole point of loyalty programs is to reward loyal customers. Anybody who qualifies as CK 10 years running, as OP claims, is a seriously loyal customer. It seems exceptionally shortsighted, not to say "straight up stupid," for the company to risk that relationship for a year of CK status.

Interesting to see you say here, "Yeah, they wouldn't actually." especially as so many people throwing shade on OP for whining..
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I think a thing that doesn't happen enough in life and, almost universally doesn't happen online, is just acknowledging the feeling:

You are right to be mad and angry and disappointed. You've been in a relationship with AA for a long time and it sounds like you've contributed quite a lot to that relationship. It sounds like they aren't meeting you where you are. And that sucks. It probably feels like a massive middle finger and like your loyalty isn't even acknowledged, let alone reciprocated. You have every reason to be mad and disappointed and upset.

I don't know what AA should do, or what you should do. But I know that your feelings are yours and that makes them valid and, if you're anything like me, sometimes you just need to share them and be heard. Lord knows I've made my share of similar posts. And usually, in some small part, what I want is to be told I'm not insane (we'll leave my sanity to the adjudication of another thread). All I know is that if it were me, I'd be mad too. I'd feel disappointed that my loyalty didn't feel reciprocated. And those are valid feelings.

I hope AA fixes things for you, or that you find another port in the storm.
You forgot to offer a therapy dog and coloring book to help OP with processing the trauma.
LondonElite, FAA1996 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by truthknown
Man... I know many in this forum are pragmatic and practical, but damn you all are cold! Look, if I had CK for 10 years and they didn't renew me because I had surgery, I would be seriously mad! It may not be as reasonable as some may want or expect, but I would still be mad. The OP has every right to be mad. Hell, I had a baby this year and was afraid I would lose my CK status after 3 years and if I did, I would be MAD! Fortunately I didn't...

So yeah, many of you can post about how its a $$$ game and he didn't spent so he doesn't deserve to be renewed. Blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, assuming what the OP says is true, 10 years of CK worthy spend deserves some type of compassion by the airline for having a life event that caused a lapse in his ability to meet the requirements. 10 YEARS! I do not believe there are many in this forum who have been CK for 10 years. Give the guy a break! I can't imagine what the OP must be feeling for giving 10 yrs of loyalty and receiving none back when he needs and deserves it...

It's so sad that in this industry, like many others, loyalty is often a one-way street.

To the OP, I hope AA gains a heart and at least engages you in a conversation about this situation. If going to UA is the best course of action, I wish you luck. Make the best choice for yourself because being loyal has very little meaning anymore.
This forum isn't cold, just opportunistic. The thought of a CK position opening up sends many into a fluffy dreamland, imagining themselves being whisked from gate to gate in a Cadillac (in reality, and Equinox with a different hood ornament) and being greeted at the jet way with you backlit name on an iPad. Do not put a wet blanket on these people's dreams!
Gringa likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:56 am

They reward people who fly a lot, continuously. They don't have any love for people who have flown a lot and for one reason or another, have slacked off. I always thought that there should be a "legacy" class for someone who, say, has been at an advanced flyer level for 10 continuous years - not all the perks, but maybe offer early boarding, or a free checked back, or even a few free drink coupons.

But, no; no fly, no favors.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: 3mm AA 3mm UA 1m DL
AA - Amnesia and Atrophy

sorry to hear about yet another self induced AA blunder to one of their top customers. I regret the 3mm I flew on AA for same reasons no loyalty to most loyal long term flyers (vs United’s great Million Miler Program with all its lifetime benefits and valuable companion perks ). So if they don’t value our past travel by being overfocused on short term revenues, we will really miss AA when their rivals offer us far better options ? DL program similar fly 1M with them and nothing in return total wasted effort. Any ultra frequent flier should look at programs carefully before giving their valuable business to airlines that take them for granted and will ultimately hang themselves in greedy short term revenue maximization persuits. When all USA carriers devalue their points which seems inevitable we can choose higher quality carriers without being tethered to their one way loyalty schemes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.