Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lost A Customer For Life (AA didn’t renew my CK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Lost A Customer For Life (AA didn’t renew my CK)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We have no way of knowing by how much OP missed out because we do not know the exact criteria. Perhaps he has been marginal for the past few years. No way of knowing.

What we do know is that AA knows a lot more than the basic metrics of spend and can therefore look to a customer's value. While people on FT tend to see things in black and white, e.g. "I have no value to xx because I was denied Kryptonium" it does not work that way.

CK also presents special challenges. It is not just about one extra person boarding a bit earlier, but about staffing phone lines, staffing airports, and making exceptions. No one extra CK makes a difference. But, how many people are there who fit OP's profile and then missed some target by some amount?
mnhusker likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I am sure it has been discussed ad nauseam but the main problem as I see it is not knowing what is required for CK. I much prefer the BA programme although BA do have Premier members which are purely in the gift of BA but they are a tiny percentage.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
They're never going to announce requirements, because they comp it to a lot of celebs, execs, and politicians who probably don't come close to even EXP.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:55 pm

<redacted> Once again, there is muuuuuuuch more to this than, "I had CK for 10 consecutive years (no you didn't), and now it has been taken away because I slowed in travel." Would it be taken away after a drastic decline in travel. Yes. As previously mentioned it is essentially a year to year "contract." Once OP didn't hold up his end, the contract is not renewed.

There are likely dozens of instances just like this annually for the CK renewal process. Which new CK member that did fly and spend at the high level that is required should be removed to make room for a "goodwill gesture" towards OP?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 13, 2019 at 4:43 pm Reason: Redacted reply to previously deleted post content
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Or CK with a Helix score of 1.

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/ame...ret-pax-score/
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by boerne
if you're profitable enough to be CK, I cant imagine you have a helix score of 1.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Rubecula
I am sure it has been discussed ad nauseam but the main problem as I see it is not knowing what is required for CK. I much prefer the BA programme although BA do have Premier members which are purely in the gift of BA but they are a tiny percentage.
What are the current BA requirements for PREM?

Every carrier has some means of singling out people for special services. Especially important if they routinely travel in F, already have lounge access and don't particularly care about boarding with a steamer trunk.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
What are the current BA requirements for PREM?

Every carrier has some means of singling out people for special services. Especially important if they routinely travel in F, already have lounge access and don't particularly care about boarding with a steamer trunk.
I believe that the requirements for a BA Premier card are a lot more restrictive than that for Concierge Key ; not something that likely to get just as an individual traveller
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Antarius
if you're profitable enough to be CK, I cant imagine you have a helix score of 1.
based upon this article and other information I would agree. Then again, if you are a super complainer, and not user friendly to the people who are trying to help you, (based upon old posts from JDiver and others), then attitude may get some comments in your file, and play a role in how the CK committee looks at your renewal.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:41 pm

The problem with undisclosed qualification requirements is that at some point AA has to tell somebody they're no longer welcome as CK. if they publish the requirements then people wouldn't be shocked when they finally get cut loose by AAA for CK.

I agree with what someone else already posted colon that probably there were some other year or years that the OP might have been lower than they wanted and this was the tipping Point for AA.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Whatever we think, whatever empathy or sympathy we might have for another member and their circumstances, the cabal at AA that decides these things isn’t going to be influenced by any of it. They’ve their criteria, we don’t know what they are, they’ve made a choice. Now, their airline has to live with that.
Gringa and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:05 pm

I don’t understand the hate here. OP has met the highest level status that AA offers year after year. AA decides to drop OP because of temporary health issues. They were clearly spending top dollar with a company and have a history of doing so; I think they are justified in feeling angry about being removed from the program with no chance of an invitatiom back.
truthknown likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
I don’t understand the hate here. OP has met the highest level status that AA offers year after year. AA decides to drop OP because of temporary health issues. They were clearly spending top dollar with a company and have a history of doing so; I think they are justified in feeling angry about being removed from the program with no chance of an invitation back.
The OP certainly has a chance of being invited back, unless there's a lot more to the story than has been disclosed.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The OP certainly has a chance of being invited back..
Yeah, that assertion ("no chance of an invitation back") makes no sense.

And, in fact, due to the fact that for CK invites that are $-based, it's the *type* of spending (very high amounts per segment/flight/mile with various multipliers and dividers, as it were, all put together to = member profitability figure) vs. overall spend, a member who was CK through this path is actually more likely to be invited back (assuming their spending patterns haven't changed considerably) compared to someone who's never been CK because their member profitability figure-- despite very high overall spend-- has never been "noticeable" in terms of earning CK.

In the OP's case, immaterial as he states:
Originally Posted by UAfreqflyer
...I will happily move back to UA where I am 1K for life.
Which seems perfectly sensible to me.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Whew...I am on a plat challenge and could use the upgrade space. Thanks!
FAA1996 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.