Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rude or not? (Denying pax seated aft my backpack bin space)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude or not? (Denying pax seated aft my backpack bin space)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
She didn't want to pay $25 to check it. Alternatively, she didn't want to gate check for free and pick it up at baggage claim. She wants you instead to give up leg room for her benefit. That's what it boils down to. If AA wants to make a rule about backpacks under the seat, they can. But they haven't. You have status, she doesn't. You get leg room. She has to deal with her bag. How is that different from the dozens of other status differentials? Why is this even a debate when we scoff at the middle seat person asking to trade with the aisle seat person?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Being honest I have been that guy with the roller bag.. staring at perfectly sized space occupied by a jacket and handbag or small backpack. Difference being I would ask nicely and if told no would likely try very hard to make my bag fit anyway a few times while saying... its ok.. I think it may fit after all... using my best "newbie" traveler confused face wondering aloud why it wont make it and what that crunching sound is. (Kidding... sort of).
GFrye likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by execplatscum
and if told no would likely try very hard to make my bag fit anyway
Ah, not at the expense of jamming and cramming my backpack you won't thank you.

Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by cyberkarl
She didn't want to pay $25 to check it. Alternatively, she didn't want to gate check for free and pick it up at baggage claim. She wants you instead to give up leg room for her benefit. That's what it boils down to. If AA wants to make a rule about backpacks under the seat, they can. But they haven't. You have status, she doesn't. You get leg room. She has to deal with her bag. How is that different from the dozens of other status differentials? Why is this even a debate when we scoff at the middle seat person asking to trade with the aisle seat person?
They do have a 'soft rule', no?

"Your primary space is under the seat, if yopu have a second item or it cant fit use the bin"

At least I could swear ive heard that from a good many FAs....

pet peeve: AHs that come on first in F or MCE, and place two items in the bin, feet clear. Self centered little shlts. (not OP, based on his posted situation)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

"Your primary space is under the seat, if yopu have a second item or it cant fit use the bin"

Yes but key phrase being "if you have a second item". In that case, larger one goes in the bin, smaller one goes under your seat. If your backpack is your only bag though you have every right to put it in the overhead bin.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by enviroian
I’m sitting in 12F. Crappy seat in a 320. I was able to SDC so I’m not complaining. I’m in group 2 so I get on early and put my backpack (my only bag) in the bin. Woman in last boarding group comes on with a big roller headed further back. Stops at 12 and asks “who’s backpack is this? Do you mind putting this on the floor in from if you?”

I politely said “sorry, but no”.

What would you have done? I’m 6’1” and need every inch of this coach seat.
You asked if it was rude or not. I do not think you were rude. You indicated you replied politely. I am 6' 0" myself and I really do appreciate the floor space in front of me. When I am carrying little bit extra on my backpack than often my backpack is too thick to fit under the seat anyway.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by milohoss
The only thing rude is the fact that AA wants to charge people $25 to check their bags. AA is the only "person" to blame for packed overhead bins.
^
milohoss likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Yes but key phrase being "if you have a second item". In that case, larger one goes in the bin, smaller one goes under your seat. If your backpack is your only bag though you have every right to put it in the overhead bin.
RIF. IMO the key phrase is the first: "Your primary space is under the seat". you can google 'primary'

There are a lot of things one has a "right" to do, doesnt mean they are correct, thoughtful, or will lead to good feelings with fellow travelers. Have 3 cars abreast driving 1 mph under the speed limit on a 3 lane freeway...They have every right to do so.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milohoss
The only thing rude is the fact that AA wants to charge people $25 to check their bags. AA is the only "person" to blame for packed overhead bins.
$30 now, and I completely agree.
milohoss likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

RIF. IMO the key phrase is the first: "Your primary space is under the seat". you can google 'primary'

There are a lot of things one has a "right" to do, doesnt mean they are correct, thoughtful, or will lead to good feelings with fellow travelers. Have 3 cars abreast driving 1 mph under the speed limit on a 3 lane freeway...They have every right to do so.
No need for the snark, and it's pretty simple really. If you have two bags (such as a carry-on and a backpack), the carry-on would go into the overhead bin and the backpack would go under the seat. If you have one bag, be it a backpack, briefcase, laptop bag etc, it can either go under the seat or in the overhead bin. I do that all of the time because I "gate check" my bigger carry-on.

You should be angry at the people who basically bring on checked size bags or overly bulky carry-on bags that take up a lot of room in the overhead bins.
IndyHoosier and E55 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OP did nothing wrong in this situation.

When I travel for photography I have 2 carryon bags with me and both contain fragile contents. I would not allow BA group 7 passenger take my overhead bin space. Why should I risk getting my equipment damaged just to make their life easier when they bought cheaper ticket which comes with late boarding and big chance that your bag will not fit? I would also be worried about me removing my bag from overhead and later FA telling me that I cannot keep such a large bag under the seat (not sure if it would fit under seat) and would force me to check my bag.

If I were to travel for personal or short business trip where I only have 1 carry on bag I would potentially give up my space at overhead bin to someone who really deserves it and provided I get assurances from FA that I will not have to check in my bag. I highly doubt that a handicapped person would be boarding @ group 7 so it would only be people who wanted to save money on the ticket and bought BE instead of E ticket. I don't think it would be fair to purchasers of E / PE tickets to pay more money for their ticket only for them to be asked to accommodate someone who bought less expensive ticket. What's next - someone buys BE ticket and complains that they can't comfortably fit into their seat and will start asking people in E / PE to trade seats with them? What about heavy person not fitting into BE asking skinny person in F to trade seats with them because as a skinny person they will be OK in smaller seat?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
"My backpack doesn't fit fully under the seat in compliance with FAA regulations - it is too big. Unfortunately it is going to have to stay where it is." /end
apeortdz and E55 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If I only have a backpack, I should be thanked for that, instead of being penalized by making me stow it under the seat and losing my legroom. If later boarding groups have to check bags, then so be it. The day AA starts forcing me to stow my backpack under the seat is the day I start putting the backpack in a rollaboard and taking up 3x as much space unnecessarily. At least it would be the end of that discussion, and also the end of people trying to smash my backpack full of electronics underneath their own bag when they to cram it on top.
JMN57, IndyHoosier, E55 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

I've flown > 1mm miles on AA and millions on others. Was EXP for 10+ years (am retired now so don't travel as much as I did - am only PPro) and I can't say that phrase rings any bells.

What I do know from AA is this:

1 personal item and 1 carry-on
Personal item
Your personal item must fit under the seat in front of you. Dimensions should not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm ).
Diaper bags (1 per child), soft-sided cooler bags with breast milk, child safety seats, strollers and medical or mobility devices don’t count as your personal item or carry-on.

Carry-on bag allowance is 22 inches high by 14 inches long by 9 inches wide
Carry-on requirements
Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)
Must fit in the sizer at the airport
If your items don’t fit in the overhead bin or under the seat, they may need to be checked. There may be additional carry-on bag restrictions at certain airports or on certain
airplanes.

We recommend labeling your carry-on the same way you do checked bags in case this happens.
Soft-sided garment bags up to 51 inches / 130 cm (length + width + height) can also be taken as your carry-on item.
Musical instruments are also considered a carry-on item and must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.

If you only take one item on-board, I think that it is more than fair that you can define it as your "Carry-on" as long as it fits within the proscribed dimensions. For people who either decide to check or do not have a need to carry a second bag, they are as entitled to use the bins as someone who brings on two bags. Whether they choose to move the item under their seat to accommodate others is an act of generosity that they are not required to do.
E55 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I’m really tired of adults who carry backpacks. Group up and be a professional and carry a real business bag. You’re not 12.
Only if they classify their “real” bag as their carry on. Most briefcases are too rigid to fit under a seat so I often see these travelers putting two bags in the overhead. Which is why there are $200+ backpacks. They will fit under a seat and allow me to protect my fragile items from the mosh pit overhead.
AA100k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.