Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ional-flights/

The current thread can be found here.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 8, 2019 at 1:00 pm Reason: Insert moderator note
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:21 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Wow, I too am surprised this announcement has come so quickly. Must have been in development for some time and kept pretty well under wraps.

True international style PEY product with 38" pitch, 2-3-2 on the 789 (and in turn presumably the same on the A330s, and 2-4-2 on the 772s and 773s), amenity kits and upgraded dining that looks similar to domestic F.

Considering all the rumors of DL introducing a true international PEY with their recent fare class changes to Comfort+, I'm surprised AA has beaten them to it.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
I wonder if they'll try to put PE on the 757's? The only carrier I can think of that has done so is OpenSkies.
I doubt it, if only because 1) They are retiring a decent number of them 2) It is not mentioned in the press release and 3) The space they would have to take up (it would have to be 2-2 rather than 2-3) reduces seat count per row by 33%. Compare that to 787s (22%), 777s (20%), and the A330s (12.5%, estimate), and you can see that 33% is really high to justify pulling seats.

I'm just looking forward to (hopefully) being able to redeem for PE on CX/JL in the future, coupled with slightly better J availability on partners (as more AA FFers choose to redeem for PE).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jordyn
Well, that explains a lot about airline product quality. :-)

I have to admit, I've always found the option of a real PE offering to be quite attractive, assuming the quality is good. I don't mind paying a reasonable premium for comfort
Indeed, it's great to have the option. That said, the one time I paid to sit in W instead of Y (on BA), I wasn't particularly happy; the comfort difference is not all that significant. But that's good from the airline's point of view; I can't imagine anyone who is thinking about paying for J saying "but there's premium economy; that's a good enough substitute for J".

On the other hand, when considered in the context of the recent reduction in the number of SWUs for (most) EXPs, it's really a striking devaluation of EXP benefits. Going from either 8 to 4 SWUs or limiting the SWUs from going Y->PE or PE->J would have seemed fairly reasonable to me, but doing them both in close order is really a significant clawback in benefits, and a sneaky one to boot given that it's broken into two separate-seeming announcements.
I hope that there's some less-than-SWU option for upgrading into W. I think making 500 mile upgrades usable to upgrade into W would make a lot of sense, and I don't think it's completely unrealistic. But I'm probably too optimistic.

For mileage upgrades, I'd expect the participating airline awards to be a good model for the expected mileage to upgrade from premium economy to business (ie 12,500 miles with no copay North America to Europe). They may not be a model for discount economy to premium economy or for the effect on discount economy to business upgrades, though, since AA miles can't currently be used for upgrades like that on BA or any other airline with premium economy.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
And the word from AA
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/premiume...premiumeconomy
Already seeing it promoted in their twitter feed
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Is it safe to assume that MCE would be plowed under to make room for this?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:35 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Probably won't happen, but it would be cool if we can use stickers to upgrade from Y to PEY (even for international).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sinanju
The release mentions PE and MCE, so I don't think so.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Another question comes up - since this is an international only product, what cabin will the domestic segments book - Economy? International Business and First tickets have the domestic segments in First but I doubt a Premium Economy ticket will also book in First domestically. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
It appears MCE is staying:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...remium-economy

Last edited by KBMIFlyer; Dec 9, 2015 at 9:31 am
dw

They say it's staying, but no details on whether the size of the MCE cabin on the widebodies will be reduced.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if as part of the PEY reconfiguration, MCE on all 777s is switched to 3-4-3.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:40 am

The Press Release indicates that the 789 will have J/W(Prem Eco fare class)/MCE/Y.

If so, is there any other airline/aircraft combo that has 5 distinct classes (F/J/W/Y+/Y)? Unless AA removes F from the 77Ws during the conversion, they will have 5 classes. (I consider MCE separate from Y as it is a class with purposeful extra legroom in places extra legroom isn't required, such as an emergency exit row)
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Another question comes up - since this is an international only product, what cabin will the domestic segments book - Economy? International Business and First tickets have the domestic segments in First but I doubt a Premium Economy ticket will also book in First domestically. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Economy is what W tickets with connections book into on other airlines, including AA when connecting to BA and QF, so I'd definitely expect economy (perhaps with complimentary domestic MCE).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:42 am
dw

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Another question comes up - since this is an international only product, what cabin will the domestic segments book - Economy?
Probably Economy... though perhaps they'll let people reserve seats in domestic MCE with an international W ticket. If you fly BA over the pond in WT+ and connect onto an intra-Euro flight, you sit in coach.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Well, if MCE is staying, my guess is that it will become synonymous with "Exit Row/Bulkhead".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.