Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:37 am

Oh, thank you so much. I don’t want to be a special snowflake thinking I get to bend the rules, but I think all in all, the bigger suitcase will be better for me. The weight is definitely under the 70 pounds I am allowed.

Much obliged and thank you for the speedy reply.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by whitewave
Oh, thank you so much. I don’t want to be a special snowflake thinking I get to bend the rules, but I think all in all, the bigger suitcase will be better for me. The weight is definitely under the 70 pounds I am allowed.

Best of luck on your travels. I agree with above, as long as it isn't overweight I don't see the agent being concerned about the size.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

70 lb? Are you sure? Most allowances call for 50 lb bags.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:01 am

@wro96 thanks @JDover that is what I read for first class, but maybe it was international? Not sure and will go double check though I believe I’m below 50 pounds.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:04 am

Weight and size

We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

For all regions, your checked bag allowance is:

Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
@wro96 thanks @JDover that is what I read for first class, but maybe it was international? Not sure and will go double check though I believe I’m below 50 pounds.
Yep. “First and Business, Executive Platinum and oneworld® Emerald members can check bags up to 70 lbs / 32 kgs at no extra cost.”
whitewave likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:59 am

ORD to Dubai, Mumbai on partners awards?

We are three , looking to travel to Mumbai for few days and then about week in Dubai and then back. We are looking for J award seats. Travel from Dec 22ns to Jan 2nd. Date is kind of flexible by 1 or 2 days.

We don't mind where we go first, mumbai or dubai.I know AA doesn't allow stop overs. What partners i should look at? I can go from NY or NJ if I can't find any from ORD. Should I book multi city or separate?
I checked ORD-AUH and I can find coach direct Etihad flights only.

Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
We are three , looking to travel to Mumbai for few days and then about week in Dubai and then back. We are looking for J award seats. Travel from Dec 22ns to Jan 2nd. Date is kind of flexible by 1 or 2 days.

We don't mind where we go first, mumbai or dubai.I know AA doesn't allow stop overs. What partners i should look at? I can go from NY or NJ if I can't find any from ORD. Should I book multi city or separate?
I checked ORD-AUH and I can find coach direct Etihad flights only.

Thanks
might want to manage expectations a little considering this is peak travel period.
book a through ticket preferably.
EY or QR
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:27 pm

My flight tomorrow morning just got cancelled!!! Flight 1102 MSY to DFW which is the first leg to BOI.

The remaining choices are not acceptable, 13-16 hours flight time, etc.

what do do you do when this happens? I have a full cost first class ticket.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:28 pm

My flight tomorrow morning just got cancelled!!! Flight 1102 MSY to DFW which is the first leg to BOI.

The remaining choices are not acceptable, 13-16 hours flight time, etc.

what do do you do when this happens? I have a full cost first class ticket.
you can get a full refund and book on another carries. It keep checking if some seats will open up for better flights or get rebooked into economy and get the gate difference ( keep in mind that fare difference between what you paid and last minute economy ticket can be a few dollars difference)
whitewave likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:43 pm

I have trip insurance, but I went ahead and grabbed another flight since I did give myself an extra day to get there. Now I’m on a freaking mileage run. MSY-MIA-PHX-BOI 16 hours but all first class. Instead of getting to BOI at 11 am, I now get in at 11 pm

I’m expecting this to get cancelled. NOLA is having a developing severe weather situation.

I don’t want economy because I have torn meniscuses and am on crutches so wanted the extra leg room to prevent blood clots etc.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:45 pm

I have trip insurance, but I went ahead and grabbed another flight since I did give myself an extra day to get there. Now I’m on a freaking mileage run. MSY-MIA-PHX-BOI 16 hours but all first class. Instead of getting to BOI at 11 am, I now get in at 11 pm

I’m expecting this to get cancelled. NOLA is having a developing severe weather situation.

I don’t want economy because I have torn meniscuses and am on crutches so wanted the extra leg room to prevent blood clots etc.
that’s a good mileage run! Enjoy double EQMs is it doesn’t get cancelled
also you don’t need a trip unaurance is your flight gets cancelled to get a refund. And most credit cards have some kinda trip protection. Insurance is a waste of money IMHO
whitewave and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Here is an option?

whitewave likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:49 pm

I’m really hoping so hard that this one doesn’t get cancelled. I may have to drive to HOU or DFW with my bad leg. Friday is going to be worse than tomorrow weather wise.

My son’s Aussie GF is also here and she is supposed to be leaving on United at noon, so we may be driving somewhere together.

My first mileage run lol. That is kind of funny.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:50 pm

@uzzar Ok, thanks. I’ll consider this one. I really appreciate your time to find that for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.