Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by geoff325
So I just got targeted for Platinum Pro status - 20k EQM and 2400 EQD. I have until Sept 25th. I have no upcoming flights planned. Can anyone come up with the best way for me to achieve this? I live in Wyoming - fly out of Billings on AA. But basically NW united states. A little confused on how EQM are calculated
EQMs are based on the actual miles you fly, with certain multipliers for certain fare classes. For AA marketed flights, most all normal economy fares earn 1x EQM per mile flown. Basic Economy fares earn at .5x, paid business 2x, and paid first class 3x.

Most of these challenges require AA marketed flights, so there are no real shortcuts or anything. You're going to have to spend at least $2400 and achieve the 20k EQM. A paid business class ticket to Asia or Europe would accomplish this in one trip, but over the summer you're going to have to spend well north of $2400.

However...with no travel planned I would seriously ask yourself if it's worth it. These challenges usually only make sense if you already have some travel booked or are expecting to travel a lot more over the next year. From operational issues to constant AAdvantage devaluations to clueless employees, AA is a mess these days.

Especially coming from the NW, where AA is weak, your money will be much better spent on a nice vacation, in paid first class, on the carrier of your choice, to a place you actually want to go, rather than chasing status on AA just for the sake of it.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
You can add the number to existing reservations. If you add the number before you check in for the 6/11 flight, you should be set.
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The format may have changed but when I applied the application number on the provisional acceptance letter was my KTN so you may be able to find it on the web site.
Thanks for the replies. I got an acceptance email from TSA today. My KTN is not listed in this email however I was able to log into the website where it is listed.
I suppose now that I've added the KTN to my passenger profile on the AA website whenever I go to check-in for my flight it will now link with my KTN and I'll be able to precheck on the 11th.

Last edited by MrRob; Jun 5, 2019 at 7:12 am
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by MrRob
I suppose now that I've added the KTN to my passenger profile on the AA website whenever I go to check-in for my flight it will now link with my KTN and I'll be able to precheck on the 11th.
It would be wise to confirm the KTN is in your passenger details for this specific trip. Information is generallly only copied from a profile when the reservation is initially created. The KTN should populate in new reservations automatically. Enjoy precheck...at it makes a world of difference in the airport experience.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
It would be wise to confirm the KTN is in your passenger details for this specific trip. Information is generallly only copied from a profile when the reservation is initially created. The KTN should populate in new reservations automatically. Enjoy precheck...at it makes a world of difference in the airport experience.
Thank you for the tip. I will give customer service a call later on today or tomorrow to see about confirming that it will be loaded for my boarding pass on the 11th.
Yes, Pre-Check seems crucial to crafting a better airport experience and with work footing the bill it makes skipping the longer regular line even sweeter. It will be great to no longer be stuck with the crowd that is still shocked and appalled (or pretend to be) that they have to take off their shoes and jackets.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
My other half is flying LHR-JFK in Y and is unsure what seat to select. On various seat maps the 772 (with PE) shows 17AB and 17KL, however the B and K seats are named C and J in the AA maps - they don’t have a space between the seats right?

Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: QFF WP
Hi all! Quick AA newbie question - thinking about booking reward flight for my partner on AA metal through QFF, business DEN-LAX-SYD - she has no OW or AA status. Will she get lounge access in DEN? And connecting from AA 6053 to AA 73 (1h 47m connection, terminal 5 to terminal 4 I believe) how easy is that connection and will she have time to access any lounges? Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by grinna
Hi all! Quick AA newbie question - thinking about booking reward flight for my partner on AA metal through QFF, business DEN-LAX-SYD - she has no OW or AA status. Will she get lounge access in DEN? And connecting from AA 6053 to AA 73 (1h 47m connection, terminal 5 to terminal 4 I believe) how easy is that connection and will she have time to access any lounges? Thanks!
Yes to lounge access in DEN.

The DEN flight (AA 6053) will arrive at a remote terminal at LAX (i.e., the Eagle's Nest), which has gates 52A-J, and she'll have to take a shuttle to T4 (and potentially walk to TBIT, which is connected airside, if the flight leaves from there). 107 minutes should be enough time to connect, if everything is on-time. I might double check to see if there are QF options in case the DEN flight is delayed, otherwise I might choose a flight with a longer connection. Your partner will have access to both the Flagship Lounge in T4 and the Oneworld Business lounge in TBIT.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by grinna
In addition to the above, I would also double check that the flights are actually in business class for both DEN-LAX and LAX-SYD.

AA.com has a nasty habit when searching some partner awards, especially QF awards to Australia, of showing the award as available in business when in reality the short domestic connecting flight is the only one in business while the long haul is in economy.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:03 pm

2562 DFW to PHL

my gf is trying to figure out what terminal this will leave from. however the dfw site says american uses ACE so i guess no way to tell until the day before? i did notice the flight yesterday and today had different terminals.

main reason for the need is she wants to know where to book parking. at this moment says DFW C and D are booked for the sale they have. she's returning on spirit (E) but would prefer to park at wherever american will be boarding if possible. minimizing skylink rides.

does DFW really know where you park? you can book in a specific terminal but there are no gates going in/out of the terminals themselves so how would they monitor this?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by luckydriver
2562 DFW to PHL

my gf is trying to figure out what terminal this will leave from. however the dfw site says american uses ACE so i guess no way to tell until the day before? i did notice the flight yesterday and today had different terminals.

main reason for the need is she wants to know where to book parking. at this moment says DFW C and D are booked for the sale they have. she's returning on spirit (E) but would prefer to park at wherever american will be boarding if possible. minimizing skylink rides.

does DFW really know where you park? you can book in a specific terminal but there are no gates going in/out of the terminals themselves so how would they monitor this?
you will not know which terminal it will depart from approximately until 2 hours before departure. Even if they post your gate in the morning it can change through your the day. So the best bet is to park close to E terminal. At least it’s 100% guarantee she will arrive there on Spirit.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by luckydriver
2562 DFW to PHL

There is no guarantee, and gate changes happen all the time, but I would bet it will be out of either A or C (and I might even bet it's probably more likely C than A if it's a pmUS plane). Again, though, no guarantees.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Kind of a newb question I guess since I typically don't fly Oneworld on international flights. But, I booked a World Traveller Plus (PE) flight on BA from ONT-LHR (ONT-DFW-LHR-BLR and BLR-LHR-DFW-ONT). Four of the six segments are BA except for ONT-DFW and DFW-ONT which are sold by BA, operated by AA and constitute about 2000 of the 21000 total flight miles. I booked via BA's website, but used my AAdvantage FFN on the flight to finish up my EXP for the year. The flight is using booking code T for the BA WTP/PE segments.

That said, I called AA to inquire about upgrading from PE to J class, but was told because it's a codeshare flight, I can't upgrade via AA and there's nothing they can do. This isn't an AA flight operated by BA, but actually a BA ticket that just has 2 segments that operate on AA. Am I screwed for trying to get an upgrade since I added my AAdvantage Number to the flight instead of a BAEC FFN?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
Kind of a newb question I guess since I typically don't fly Oneworld on international flights. But, I booked a World Traveller Plus (PE) flight on BA from ONT-LHR (ONT-DFW-LHR-BLR and BLR-LHR-DFW-ONT). Four of the six segments are BA except for ONT-DFW and DFW-ONT which are sold by BA, operated by AA and constitute about 2000 of the 21000 total flight miles. I booked via BA's website, but used my AAdvantage FFN on the flight to finish up my EXP for the year. The flight is using booking code T for the BA WTP/PE segments.

That said, I called AA to inquire about upgrading from PE to J class, but was told because it's a codeshare flight, I can't upgrade via AA and there's nothing they can do. This isn't an AA flight operated by BA, but actually a BA ticket that just has 2 segments that operate on AA. Am I screwed for trying to get an upgrade since I added my AAdvantage Number to the flight instead of a BAEC FFN?
FF number doesn’t matter here. You can call BA to upfare or you can hope for POUG when you check in online. Or ask at the airport and if there are seats open they will let you upgrade for certain amount of cash
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15

FF number doesn’t matter here. You can call BA to upfare or you can hope for POUG when you check in online. Or ask at the airport and if there are seats open they will let you upgrade for certain amount of cash
Thanks for the reply @gateH15
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15

Just realized I forgot the main point of my post. I'm trying to upgrade my BA flight using my AA points. The AA website says I need to call AA to do this, but AA phone rep says they can't help since it's a codeshare flight. Even though the only segments that are codeshare are DFW-ONT and ONT-DFW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.