Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Simple upgrade question (how to get an op-up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

I DID look around here a bit, didn't really find what I was looking for, in a nutshell:
Flying domestic, I don't fly that often anymore, have not flown AA in many years, but am on this trip.
I have read the things where you can go to the counter reasonably well-dressed they MIGHT
give you a free upgrade (or at least used to...) if you ask nicely (and it isn't sold out??)
I am signed up for AA Advantage, it's a short domestic flight to Texas (DFW and then on to BRO), second week of January,
plane with now is still 2/3rds empty (MD-80) and none of the first class seats are showing as booked as of today,
my main question is I was going to skip going to the main ticket counter since I am not checking any bags, I
have just a small suitcase and a normal 'carry on', both within both AA and TSA size limits.

If I was to try for an upgrade, do I have to try it at the main counter, or can I try it at the gate counter?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by fredman
I have read the things where you can go to the counter reasonably well-dressed they MIGHT
give you a free upgrade (or at least used to...) if you ask nicely (and it isn't sold out??)
This is one of those perennial falsehoods that simply won't die. Upgrades have been systematized and monetized for decades now.

Long story short, if all elite frequent flyers are upgraded according to AA's published rules and there's still space left, you might be offered the chance to purchase an upgrade at check-in (going rate seems to be $50-75 per 500 miles). The fact that the seat map is empty right now doesn't mean much -- some passengers (e.g. connecting on international codeshares) don't select seats early, and elite upgrades start getting processed about 4 days from departure.

Much more detail available in this thread:
DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Science Goy
This is one of those perennial falsehoods that simply won't die. Upgrades have been systematized and monetized for decades now.

Long story short, if all elite frequent flyers are upgraded according to AA's published rules and there's still space left, you might be offered the chance to purchase an upgrade at check-in (going rate seems to be $50-75 per 500 miles). The fact that the seat map is empty right now doesn't mean much -- some passengers (e.g. connecting on international codeshares) don't select seats early, and elite upgrades start getting processed about 4 days from departure.
Thank you.
I'm learning, asking is the best way...
757FO likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I DID look around here a bit, didn't really find what I was looking for, in a nutshell:
Flying domestic, I don't fly that often anymore, have not flown AA in many years, but am on this trip.
I am signed up for AA Advantage, it's a short domestic flight to Texas (DFW and then on to BRO), second week of January,
plane with now is still 2/3rds empty (MD-80) and none of the first class seats are showing as booked as of today,
my main question is I was going to skip going to the main ticket counter since I am not checking any bags, I
have just a small suitcase and a normal 'carry on', both within both AA and TSA size limits.

If I was to try for an upgrade, do I have to try it at the main counter, or can I try it at the gate counter?
You can try it wherever you want. Just don't expect it to work. And I don't mean don't get your hopes up, I mean it won't work. They don't even upgrade their lower tier elite members, let alone a random passenger. If F has empty seats after all upgrades are processed or AA feels there will be empty seats, they may offer a buy up option where you can pay for the upgrade.

The days of dressing nice and sweet talking for an upgrade are looking gone, at least for revenue passengers on US airlines.

ETA Science Goy beat me to it

Last edited by justhere; Dec 15, 2018 at 2:52 pm Reason: ETA Science Goy beat me to it
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:48 pm

Thank you.
I'm learning, asking is the best way...
Apologies if I came off as hostile -- was just being blunt about your chances. Not to mention those (seemingly monthly) stories about dressing up to get free upgrades are a major source of eye-rolling around these forums
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Apologies if I came off as hostile -- was just being blunt about your chances. Not to mention those (seemingly monthly) stories about dressing up to get free upgrades are a major source of eye-rolling around these forums
Or the notion that whispering ‘revenue management’ to an agent will magically open seats in premium cabins. You might as well incant a spell from Harry Potter. AA does it all the time on board - ‘barclayus maximus’ I believe it is, all in hopes that droves of eager passangers will happily apply for new cards.
btonkid12345 and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Or the notion that whispering ‘revenue management’ to an agent will magically open seats in premium cabins.
Well, at least that was kind of true, not too long ago.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
OPUPs happen. However, not generally when Y is 2/3 empty. OpUps generally happen when the cabin is full and they still have more passengers checked in for that cabin. At that point, OpUps are generally going to first be determined by status, not by how well dressed you are or whether you tipped the gate agent or not. Because......if someone feels they have been denied an upgrade they should have received, it is relatively easy to find out who gave out an upgrade, and whether it should have been done or not.

If you want an upgrade, then you can buy it. If you have elite status, you can get in line with the rest of the elites and either pay (Gold, Plat) or get them free (PlT Pro or EXP)......
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
This is one of those perennial falsehoods that simply won't die. Upgrades have been systematized and monetized for decades now.....
Perpetuated by the likes of a frugal friend of mine... he’s embarrassed to admit he pays for J, so tells everyone that asks that he “dresses sharp and sweet talks the staff”. Let him know that I know that doesn’t work, and that’s when I found his wife thinks he pays for Econ coach. But all his buddies think he’s the free upgrade shmoozer.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Back in the day front line employees had much more power, and it was hard for airlines like AA to offer discounted upgrades at scale like they do at the kiosks. Theres a very high likelihood you'll get offered a paid upgrade at the kiosk and it will probably cost $100. I am not sure it would be worth it given the flight time, and the fact that you may get 1-2 cocktails. It's an older bird so don't expect in fight entertainment, but folks do say the first class seats on that aircraft are quite comfy. The flight is just over 500 mi so the bottom 2/4 elite categories won't get auto-upgraded and will need to use 500mi upgrades, which I would imagine they would not since its not worth it given its just over 500 mi.

But if there's anything I've learned is that a little kindness at the gate goes a long way.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The only way you will get upgraded is if you get an offer at the kiosk to buy up.

If the flight is oversold in coach they will give complimentary upgrades to lower-level elites. I've had that happen a couple of times in the last few years.

If they really need the coach seat and there aren't enough elites, or they need to push back and they've boarded and they don't want to upgrade someone already on the flight (this is covered in other threads) they might upgrade a random solo pax, but the odds of this are about equal to those of having schools close for a snow day in September in Phoenix.

However they will most definitely go out with F seats unoccupied rather than give them away like candy.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 15, 2018 at 8:10 pm Reason: Edited OMNI/PR content
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have had a number of threads over the years discussing the possibility of operational upgrades for those

declaring they’re flying on their honeymoon or birthday

dressing up and politely asking the Gate Agent

The consensus has been it doesn’t ever work; they’re ”flurban myths” that people can do that.

The LFBU is pretty much your hope - cash upgrade upon checking in, at the ticket counter or kiosk.

Upgrades on domestic and certain regional flights are complimentary if available to Concierge Key, Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro. They may be available to Platinum and Gold members with 500 mile upgrade instruments. Upgrades may also be available to CK and EXP and others using Systemwide Upgrades , or anyone using miles and miles upgrades.

Those upgrades are essentially prioritized by status tier, and within status tier by 12 month spend. Someone with no status is at the end of a normally very long wait list queue.
nancypants and ESPECIALROB like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

okay-okay - I think you have all reiterated each other to death.
thank you...
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

okay-okay - I think you have all reiterated each other to death.
thank you...
Reiteration was invented here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.