Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines - Wait for better offer? [Status buy-up]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

I am going to end the year about 2,000 miles short of status, and a miles run is not an option for me. I am considering purchasing status but wondering if I need to do that before the end of the calendar year or if I might get a better offer waiting into 2019. Will my chance to renew go away if I don’t renew by end of the year?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @smedley12.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to our AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Unless you get more EQM/EQD's, your offer probably will not change.

I think the offers will remain active through January. I bought status for 2018 and I think I did it the first week of January.

Don't buy though until you've done all your 2018 flying. My offer went down by $1000 after I took a flight.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by smedley12
I am going to end the year about 2,000 miles short of status, and a miles run is not an option for me. I am considering purchasing status but wondering if I need to do that before the end of the calendar year or if I might get a better offer waiting into 2019. Will my chance to renew go away if I don’t renew by end of the year?
Which level of status? Do you currently hold status? Nobody knows whether the offers will go up or down. It's a bit like "Deal Or No Deal"
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Buy up offer was just updated following my trip to PHX this week. I was about 10.5k miles short and the offer was $2,645. After the trip, I am nowabout 1.6k miles short. The offer I just received was $1,345. Real bargain don’t you think? I’m on a r/t F JFK BOS (paid) for $454 this Thursday that will get me to EXP for the 8th straight, but probably last year. Two trips to Europe, one to São Paulo and three to CA with unpredictable travel will probably drop me to Pro.
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I was just wondering the same thing. My buyback for GLD was about the same as I as short in EQD which is $800. Just took a flight and the offer did not adjust. Wondering if any folks called and and got them to provide a better offer. Wish they counted my AC dues as EQD...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.