Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Agent tried to remove me from Upgrade List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Agent tried to remove me from Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Spyder
FA recently asked me to pay for my drink in coach

I handed her my concierge key membership card and she tried to run it and then told me my credit card was no good

I pointed out I was ck and the card showed that and that cks don’t pay for drinks

She demanded payment anyway and I went ahead and gave her the money since it was clear she was an idiot.

For every story like this, (I hope) there is another like mine of being a non-status in coach, as a tall gent crammed into a middle seat, and FA not asking for payment for my double Woodford Reserve rocks, which was clearly necessary to keep me sane during the trip.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by allaroundtheworld21
I’m Executive Platinum and fly mostly international so I access the Flagship check in at JFK. I always encounter the same agents.

This week my flight JFK-MIA-GRU was booked using miles and I was automatically added to the upgrade list for JFK-MIA.

At check in, the agent tells me I was mistakenly put on the upgrade list for JFK-MIA and she was taking me off. I quickly corrected her and said I was entitled to it as an EP on award travel on domestic and caribbean flights, and could even upgrade companions with 500 mile upgrades. She talked to another agent and she told her that I didn’t qualify and to take me off the upgrade list.

Again I tell her that I was entitled to it and had just done it 3 weeks prior for a trip to the caribbean over Thanksgiving with a companion on an award ticket and we both were upgraded on both the domestic connection and the flight to the caribbean. she then made a phone call and was told my itinerary did qualify for the domestic upgrade.

Sadly, I’m not surprised that an agent doesn’t know her own company policies, I’m more shocked that she actually tried to go out of her way to take me off the list. What gives?
I've never understood why any customer service role would adopt that active hostility towards customers (regarding trying to remove you from the upgrade list when the system allowed you to join it in the first place). I've seen employees of multiple industries act like they get to keep any money they save the company.

Here's my AA example. Last Christmas Day I was checking in at the AA priority line in EWR and my bag was slightly over the weight limit. The agent paused, and then said "it's okay". As she was tagging it, a colleague of hers walking past actually stopped: "You can't allow that, it's over weight! He has to pay a surcharge!" She was wrong about the surcharge as I was able to move some things into my carry-on, but at that point I decided to check that bag too, so rep #1 had to then tag that, and the handlers had to move it, and neither of those actions (or the initial paying the surcharge) had anything to do with the cranky agent.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TomMM
OP, did the upgrade clear?
Nope!!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
It's either untrained employees and in some cases employees making the rules as they see fit. Yes, kinda of shocking a FL employee wouldn't know this.
You would think that the JFK operation would provide a roving floor manager who is well versed in the rules (perhaps the station expert) who can be called upon when there is type of dispute (disagreement?)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

I am most frustrated about these things because it’s made to seem as if I’m asking for something that’s not part of my benefits as EXP. I’ve had repeated incidents with this agent also when it comes to moving into Premium Economy for the $0 upgrade for EXP. She gives me a hard time every single time saying “oh I dont think that will work”. But low and behold every single time, twice a month it works. (Icant check in on my own because of a visa check but otherwise I’d be able to upgrade myself on the app and save myself the annoyance)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george 3
You would think that the JFK operation would provide a roving floor manager who is well versed in the rules (perhaps the station expert) who can be called upon when there is type of dispute (disagreement?)
yes she did call someone on the phone to ask, after I pushed back 3 times.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: CK or bust
It can be a challenge enough to get on the list but this takes the cake when you have to do battle to stay on it.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Spyder
I handed her my concierge key membership card and she tried to run it and then told me my credit card was no good
LOLOL
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days

yes she did call someone on the phone to ask, after I pushed back 3 times.
I meant having a roving trouble shooter - sometimes it's better to see someone actually working with the agent to resolve the problem.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This whole story is sad.

I checked into the FL at JFK recently flying in FC to LAX on the Transcon and has to remind the agent I needed an invite to access FL dining
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nrr
FA on PA, "we've just landed in JFK, er, what city are we in..."
How did they make it past training? Airport codes are tested on and you screw up the common ones you are gone.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.7MM
I am most frustrated about these things because it’s made to seem as if I’m asking for something that’s not part of my benefits as EXP. I’ve had repeated incidents with this agent also when it comes to moving into Premium Economy for the $0 upgrade for EXP. She gives me a hard time every single time saying “oh I dont think that will work”. But low and behold every single time, twice a month it works. (Icant check in on my own because of a visa check but otherwise I’d be able to upgrade myself on the app and save myself the annoyance)
This is new to me - do EXP get free upgrade to Premium Economy?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I had a long argument with an agent when I had a 3 class F ticket DCA-JFK-LAX and my DCA-JFK flight got cancelled and I got placed on IAD-LAX in 2 class F. At the time, 3 class F was 32.5K and 2 class F was 25K (no rule at the time about the surcharge if plane was a 3 class flight).

i spent a long time trying to teach the stubborn agent that 2 class F and 3 class F are NOT the same thing, and then she even claimed that ALL domestic flights are 2 class and she had no idea that the 321T on JFK-LAX even existed.

Called in many times to get the mileage difference refunded and still couldn’t find someone competent enough to understand but did manage to get a guy who was at least willing to listen and browse around the website and learn that 3 class F and 2 class F are not the same thing.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I've seen employees of multiple industries act like they get to keep any money they save the company.
If the customer is right according to the published rules, I agree this is a problem. However, if the employee can save the company money by correcting an actual error, I think they should do so. For them not to do so is normally considered a market failure, the "principal-agent problem". One way to combat it is to let the employee actually keep a percentage of the savings.

​​​​​​It's a worthy ideal for employees to safeguard the company's funds like their own (we don't want store clerks looking the other way while their friends shoplift, or executives spending excessively on travel and dining just because they have an expense account).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by pcbrew
This is new to me - do EXP get free upgrade to Premium Economy?
See here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.