Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Agent tried to remove me from Upgrade List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I’m Executive Platinum and fly mostly international so I access the Flagship check in at JFK. I always encounter the same agents.

This week my flight JFK-MIA-GRU was booked using miles and I was automatically added to the upgrade list for JFK-MIA.

At check in, the agent tells me I was mistakenly put on the upgrade list for JFK-MIA and she was taking me off. I quickly corrected her and said I was entitled to it as an EP on award travel on domestic and caribbean flights, and could even upgrade companions with 500 mile upgrades. She talked to another agent and she told her that I didn’t qualify and to take me off the upgrade list.

Again I tell her that I was entitled to it and had just done it 3 weeks prior for a trip to the caribbean over Thanksgiving with a companion on an award ticket and we both were upgraded on both the domestic connection and the flight to the caribbean. she then made a phone call and was told my itinerary did qualify for the domestic upgrade.

Sadly, I’m not surprised that an agent doesn’t know her own company policies, I’m more shocked that she actually tried to go out of her way to take me off the list. What gives?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Yet another unfortunate story of front line employees not knowing the full scope of the elite program and the related benefits bestowed upon status holders. It is certainly more surprising in this case, as a Flagship Check In agent should have relatively more exposure to EXP types and these sorts of situations.

While frustrating, I don't think this is more than a teachable moment for that agent. Hopefully she gained some knowledge and is now less trigger happy at pulling EXP's on award tix off of upgrade lists.

Maybe complain to AA and get some pity miles thrown your way for the rigamarole of the situation?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It's either untrained employees and in some cases employees making the rules as they see fit. Yes, kinda of shocking a FL employee wouldn't know this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Well, it's bad that she didn't know the rules. And it's bad that her attitude was to err on the opposite side of the customer. On the other hand, nothing actually bad happened, and she was willing to go figure out the correct information. So...meh, disappointing but not really a big deal.

Couple months ago I was on a mainline flight on AA in Y and had this conversation:

FA: Something to drink?
Me: Sure, I'll have a Jack Daniels and Coke Zero please.
FA: OK, that'll be $8, one sec...
Me: Oh, I'm exec-plat.
FA: You're what?
Me: Exec-plat...Executive Platinum?
FA: What's that? What, you get free drinks?
Me: Yeah....it's your top tier frequent flyer status....you don't know about it?
FA: No, I don't know anything about that.
Me: Ummm....can you ask somebody?

She conferred with the other FA and determined that EXP is an actual thing. Same story....pretty incredible to me that she didn't know anything at all about their program, but at the end of the day the result was satisfactory.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had a domestic AWARD itn, I requested an upgrade, in the "upgrade" section it showed "requested"--if it were not "legal" AAs computer would not have listed "requested".
Particularly with SWUs the reverse can happen: a requested upgrade but just showing "not offered".
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Well, it's bad that she didn't know the rules. And it's bad that her attitude was to err on the opposite side of the customer. On the other hand, nothing actually bad happened, and she was willing to go figure out the correct information. So...meh, disappointing but not really a big deal.

Couple months ago I was on a mainline flight on AA in Y and had this conversation:

Me: Yeah....it's your top tier frequent flyer status....you don't know about it?

She conferred with the other FA and determined that EXP is an actual thing. Same story....pretty incredible to me that she didn't know anything at all about their program, but at the end of the day the result was satisfactory.
FA on PA, "we've just landed in JFK, er, what city are we in..."
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Now that’s just ridiculous lol. Well hopefully they learned something and don’t make the same mistake.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m surprised AA’s new system/overlay would even let an agent do this..
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are two categories of AA employees: those who aren’t sure which rule applies and look it up, and those who aren’t sure and make up some malarkey and attempt to enforce it.

There are two kinds of people: those who assign people to categories, and those who don’t.

Glad you pushed back and hopefully, allowed her to learn something.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by allaroundtheworld21
I’m Executive Platinum and fly mostly international so I access the Flagship check in at JFK. I always encounter the same agents.

This week my flight JFK-MIA-GRU was booked using miles and I was automatically added to the upgrade list for JFK-MIA.

At check in, the agent tells me I was mistakenly put on the upgrade list for JFK-MIA and she was taking me off. I quickly corrected her and said I was entitled to it as an EP on award travel on domestic and caribbean flights, and could even upgrade companions with 500 mile upgrades. She talked to another agent and she told her that I didn’t qualify and to take me off the upgrade list.

Again I tell her that I was entitled to it and had just done it 3 weeks prior for a trip to the caribbean over Thanksgiving with a companion on an award ticket and we both were upgraded on both the domestic connection and the flight to the caribbean. she then made a phone call and was told my itinerary did qualify for the domestic upgrade.

Sadly, I’m not surprised that an agent doesn’t know her own company policies, I’m more shocked that she actually tried to go out of her way to take me off the list. What gives?
This is an example of NYCommuter's Airline Rule #1:

Don't deal with a human being employee if at all possible. Deal with kiosks and other automation whenever you can. At least the kiosks are consistent, not vindictive, etc.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I’m surprised AA’s new system/overlay would even let an agent do this..
I’m surprised she thought AA’s system would mistakenly put me on the upgrade list if I wasn’t entitled to it. She was pretty adamant about removing me.

As far as I know u can be removed, I’ve requested this when traveling with a companion that I didnt want to use my upgrades for.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
This is an example of NYCommuter's Airline Rule #1:

Don't deal with a human being employee if at all possible. Deal with kiosks and other automation whenever you can. At least the kiosks are consistent, not vindictive, etc.
I actually have to agree with you on this. I am getting more and more annoyed the more I access Flagship Check In so unless I really need to speak to someone, maybe I’m better off using the kiosk and going to bag drop!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Same story every time I call in to the EX P line when trying to do a mileage partner upgrade on BA when on a full fare ticket (usually attempting W to Biz). I have to argue with them nearly every single time while they emphatically ensure me that you can’t upgrade on non-AA flights. Even HUCA generally results in the same incompetence.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, did the upgrade clear?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador

Had a similar conversation on an Eagle flight regarding free alcohol for passengers seated in MCE. She asked why MCE wasn't printed on my BP even though the sign above my assigned seat clearly stated it.
fotographer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.