Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Service analysts monitoring onboard service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Interesting ... trying to get FA's to do their job?

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...o-flights.html
American Airlines is quietly moving to try and establish a more consistent level of service across the thousands of flights it operates domestically and internationally each day.

Sources within the ranks of American’s 27,000-plus flight attendants have reported working alongside a member of AA’s management team called a “service analyst” on flights in recent days. The job title is a new one to many veteran flight attendants at American.

The world’s largest carrier appears to be concerned that frequent customers may be experiencing very different levels of service from flight to flight depending on the experience of the crew on board — something that could affect customers' decisions about whether to keep flying American.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Sounds like management is managing.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
This is dumb if they are announcing themselves to the crew, they should act like regular passengers and evaluate the performance of the crew incognito to see what their customers see, by telling the FAs they are onboard any data they collect is useless. I also find it interesting they feel their new hires are an issue, I'm quite sure there are some newer FAs that are not top performers but when it comes to in flight service I dont think its accurate to single out FAs by tenure. I've seen many a good FA who are clearly young and new and same goes for much older FAs, I've also had terrible FAs in each group - ones attitude not age is what's important.
As for the complaints that this is "yet another way management is checking up on them" x1000. Firstly what other ways are they checking up on them? They operate without any oversight at all currently and complaining their employer would like to ensure they are following procedures....well boohoo if you want to be above oversight from your employer start your own company because otherwise regardless of industry or job there will always be someone who's job includes checking up on your performance.
concerned that frequent customers may be experiencing very different levels of service from flight to flight depending on the experience of the crew on board — something that could affect customers' decisions about whether to keep flying American.
oh wow really?! funny they would be "concerned" about that obvious fact! its about time AA (and other airlines) came around to realize that service quality matters and is something customers consider when making a purchase.
JDiver, Spiff, DenverBrian and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Experience of the crew is sometimes a factor in the levels of service ... but its not a problem of not having enough training and experience ....
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’m guessing a “secret shopper” anonymous flyer would be of much more value.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I’m glad they recognized the problem, but this isn’t the way to fix it. If you tell everyone that you’re there to watch them perform, they are probably going to perform. I’ve had the misfortune of flying the same routes over an over this year and the experience is wildly different every flight. Plane is on time, passengers are boarded quickly and not even water before takeoff? Flight is delayed, group 6 has been boarding for the last hour and the bar is open? It never makes any sense. My favorite is when you see a flight attendant pop out of the galley just before landing that you didn’t even know was on the plane. Are they using crew for weight and balance now?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
My takeaway was what utter nonsense it is that instead of actually training the new hires management is relying on "on the job training" for the service aspect. What a joke.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:49 pm

During the US Air days these people were not secret and flew up front
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I like that American is looking into this. Lots of USA domestic travel currently, and the experiences I have vary significantly with the crew of the flights.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
My takeaway was what utter nonsense it is that instead of actually training the new hires management is relying on "on the job training" for the service aspect. What a joke.
Who said this is exclusively a new-hire problem?
eastindywalrus and Beltway2A like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Who said this is exclusively a new-hire problem?
The linked article implied this was targeted at new hires:
But AA looks to be concerned that new recruits to the FA ranks at American aren’t closely following the service procedures spelled out in a lengthy and highly-detailed “Onboard Service Manual” provided to each flight attendant.

According to sources, AA in recent years has streamlined the training of new recruits with the expectation they would get more on-the-job training from veteran flight attendants.

But flight attendant sources say that because of how seniority factors into cabin crew staffing, a number of flights are now manned largely by relatively green flight attendants, which could impact the level of onboard service.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Enjoy the bed you’ve made for yourself LAA crew that got into bed with US Airways. I actually like this though.

#keepdeltamydelta
Spiff and brc757rr like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Dear United,

Please copy this idea 💡
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Wouldnt AA get a better view of whats going on their planes , if they choose a few passengers prior to their flights and give them forms to fill out?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I assume the issue with a secret shopper is that they would be taking away a revenue seat, particularly upfront. Would you want your upgrade/SWU not to clear because a secret shopper is sitting in the seat that would have been yours? So they have no choice but to announce it beforehand because there's going to be someone standing in the galley that ordinary doesn't belong there.

As far as "training." Most of the issues have very little to do with training and more towards attitude. Really for a operational standpoint how hard is it to understand how to do a PDB in F/J? If newly hired FAs can't remember that's part of their duty when working F/J I'd say AA has a hiring quality issue. As noted this cuts across all job tenure lines.

Since there's no way to manage FAs onboard unless AA starts to pay for a crew lead FA (and that's not gonna happen) I think this issue won't go away. The FAs will simply do their duties onboard when the "service analyst" is present and go back to their old ways as soon as that person is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.