Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Equipment change with no comparable seat reassignment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy

Flying PHX>OAK on a Mesa/American Eagle/American Canadair 900. Rows 12 and 13 listed as MCE exit rows. I'm Platinum so booked in row 12. More room for laptop (business trip), free beverage, dedicated bag storage since I'm always late to the airport and miss my boarding group, etc.

Get on the plane, 12 is not MCE or exit, it's 13 and 14. Message AA on Twitter and they respond that there's nothing they can do, it was an unexpected equipment change and the rows are shifted. The number of seats on the plane is the same, it's just on different rows... any reason AA wouldn't have simply done a seat change to accommodate people who paid for or were eligible for MCE through status? Anyone had luck getting any sort of reimbursement for the issue? (It's funny looking too because Row 14 is almost empty, presumably because it's a regular row that nobody wants right behind MCE.)

Incidentally we also left 30 minutes late and are currently diverting 200 miles to Fresno instead of Oakland, unable to land due to "too much fog", which makes this even more pleasant given the seat situation and I'm assuming will be considered a 'weather event'.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
Flying PHX>OAK on a Mesa/American Eagle/American Canadair 900. Rows 12 and 13 listed as MCE exit rows. I'm Platinum so booked in row 12. More room for laptop (business trip), free beverage, dedicated bag storage since I'm always late to the airport and miss my boarding group, etc.

Get on the plane, 12 is not MCE or exit, it's 13 and 14. Message AA on Twitter and they respond that there's nothing they can do, it was an unexpected equipment change and the rows are shifted. The number of seats on the plane is the same, it's just on different rows... any reason AA wouldn't have simply done a seat change to accommodate people who paid for or were eligible for MCE through status? Anyone had luck getting any sort of reimbursement for the issue? (It's funny looking too because Row 14 is almost empty, presumably because it's a regular row that nobody wants right behind MCE.)

Incidentally we also left 30 minutes late and are currently diverting 200 miles to Fresno instead of Oakland, unable to land due to "too much fog", which makes this even more pleasant given the seat situation and I'm assuming will be considered a 'weather event'.
Unfortunately, this is “state of the farce” for AA. Equipment changes often mean you’re in a less favorable seat, because AA IT apparently still can’t handle moving passengers into comparable seats automatically in these circumstances.

If you paid for a premium or MCE seat, you will be able to recover your payment.

And yes, fog is a weather event for sure.
enpremiere, IAHtraveler and hurnik like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It happens. Never seen an FA not comp the booze when you mention it. Chances are that most people in your row were comped the MCE seat and have the same issue.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did the OP try to change seats on board?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, same for everyone else in the row. It’s not the biggest deal except that it’s awkward to use a laptop. Really the bigger irritant is that we’re sitting in Fresno after being diverted and I’ll most likely have to chalk up another $10 for WiFi on the unexpected new segment.

i guess I’d just have expected more proactiveness on AA’s part especially given that they moved standard seated passengers to an exit row (and vice versa).

@MSPeconomist - no, it looks like other passengers were allowed to take the empty exit row seats as row 14 is full now and wasn’t at takeoff.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: CK or bust

i guess I’d just have expected more proactiveness on AA’s part especially given that they moved standard seated passengers to an exit row (and vice versa).
Weather and unforeseen MX issues aside (although AA's tech ops team seems to be very challenged these days), you're literally talking an airline that specializes in not being pro-active (I would have used reactive here but some days that doesn't even seem to properly describe it):
  • Gate delays never seem reflect what's actually happening or physically possible (not formally canceling or reflecting a flight as delayed while other reasonable possible re-routing options gradually diminish)
  • Planned equipment swaps (I'm referring to the ones that happen well in advance, not last-minute gate A/C swaps)
  • Schedule changes that move pax to non-logical flights (i.e. instead of the next one with available space, moving them to a frequency at the end of the day)
In fairness and to their credit, AA is very pro-active about "enhancing away" their frequent flyer and elite programs as well as proactive when it comes to up-sells for questionably useful miles (online when booking, at the airport, and on board via their crazy card game).
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately, this is “state of the farce” for AA. Equipment changes often mean you’re in a less favorable seat, because AA IT apparently still can’t handle moving passengers into comparable seats automatically in these circumstances.

If you paid for a premium or MCE seat, you will be able to recover your payment.

And yes, fog is a weather event for sure.
AA won't do anything for you if you booked directly into MCE due to status. Had the same issue a few months ago.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
AA won't do anything for you if you booked directly into MCE due to status. Had the same issue a few months ago.
As I said, AA will refund fees paid for premium or MCE seats. AA will let those who booked those seats free because of their status go pound sand.
enpremiere and hurnik like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Went from Exit Row Window to non-MCE window. Tweeted to AA and this was their response:

"It's sometimes operationally necessary to swap planes, and we do all possible to keep you in similar seats. We're sorry we couldn't today."

Irony is that it wasn't an on-the-ground swap, the swap happened with at least the aircraft operating the incoming flight, which I pointed out in my reply, to which they replied:

"We try hard to avoid changing planes. Our apologies for any inconvenience."

But, hey, they're #GoingForGreat !!!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I tried Twitter and was told that I should have asked a flight attendant to see if anyone wanted to voluntarily swap with me. 😂 Ah well. Five and a half hours later I’m on the ground in the right city.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Yeah, I tried Twitter and was told that I should have asked a flight attendant to see if anyone wanted to voluntarily swap with me. 😂 Ah well. Five and a half hours later I’m on the ground in the right city.
"Hi, would you like to swap your better seat for one that's not as good?"
DCP2016 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.