Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Which Flagship Lounge is opening 'early next year' (2019)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

In the series of infographics American is publishing to celebrate 5 years post-merger, they posted one this week on premium service upgrades. In it, it mentions that a new FL will open early next year. Given that FT has reported that both PHL and DFW are delayed, and I haven't seen any progress at LHR, what are they referring to? Is the LHR plan just to rebrand the First Class Lounge as an FL and just make minor (non-construction) changes?

Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
DFW is supposedly opening in Q1 according the CEO on the last conference call.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
MIA is open now so it will be opening at 5:30 a.m. daily early next year also, unless they close it, which is doubtful.
nelsinho likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by BillBurn
DFW is supposedly opening in Q1 according the CEO on the last conference call.
That’s great news, and consistent with what I’m hearing from CK reps at DFW (who are saying March, possibly April)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ikwia

That’s great news, and consistent with what I’m hearing from CK reps at DFW (who are saying March, possibly April)
Now we need a Flagship check-in... which (in theory) should be easier to pull off than a Flagship Lounge.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by dave_261
Now we need a Flagship check-in... which (in theory) should be easier to pull off than a Flagship Lounge.
How about real Flagship Check in, like in Terminal 5 at LHR! Straight from security to the F lounge!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
All of this for the most part is from memory so I may be wrong but this is the beat down since the merger. Please correct me if im wrong. Since 2013 there will be a net loss of 6 AC's with over 50% unrenovated. So that bully for them but they have only opened 3 new clubs. Seems to me as much as AA loves to promote its AC's they are cutting hard on their costs. They have only been investing in AC's where they really have to compete with other airlines. Granted at DFW C is not in need of an upgrade as is SFO and a few others, but it looks like where AA has a strong hold they are neglectful. Also it looks like internationally they are throwing in the towel with lounges other than SA which is strange. Im trying to make heads or tails from their planing but it seems like Delta is investing in their premuim product, look at all the investments for sky clubs, united and AA dont seem to be betting as much on them. Surprising. What do you think?

Status of ACs:

New (3):
IAH
LAX (5)
MCO

Updated (17):
BOS (High Gates)
CLT B (In Process)
ORD (All 3)
DFW A
LHR
LAX (4 and Eagles)
LGA
MIA (Both)
PHX (A7)
YYZ
EZE
GIG
GRU

Unchanged: (28)
ATL
AUS
BOS (Low Gates)
CLT C&D
DFW B,C
HNL
JFK (High Gates)
EWR
PHL (All 4)
STL
TPA
DCA Both
DEN
MEX
BNA
SNA
CDG
RDU
SCL
NRT
PIT
PHX (A19 and B gates)

Lost: (9)
DFW D
BDL
GSO
JFK (Low Gates which was renovated)
LGA (Terminal C)
CCS
SJU
BOS (High Gates will be closing)
BUF

Last edited by Pasqualle7; Dec 8, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by dave_261
Yes, that would be nice, but since I rarely O/D in DFW, not especially important ;-)

No seriously, such an important hub should offer all of the bells and whistles.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
All of this for the most part is from memory so I may be wrong but this is the beat down since the merger. Please correct me if im wrong. Since 2013 there will be a net loss of 5 AC's with over 50% unrenovated. So that bully for them but they have only opened 3 new clubs. Seems to me as much as AA loves to promote its AC's they are cutting hard on their costs. They have only been investing in AC's where they really have to compete with other airlines.

Unchanged: (28)
PIT

Lost: (8)
DFW D
PIT is currently under renovation, and everything I've heard has indicated that DFW D is just temporarily closed for renovation...so it seems unfair to have it in the "lost" category.
JDiver and Pasqualle7 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
PIT is a complete refresh. Its a big open room. If there was one club that needed some real TLC, this is it. I have been impressed with all the new lounges so far. Be interesting what they do to CLT C/D.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

That would be nice. The last I heard was neared to Q3 which would be somewhat of an embarrassment given the time it has already taken. But, then again, construction delays inside airports are a well known phenomena.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
AUS removed the putting green and the back privacy cubes and replaced them with chairs, so technically that counts as a 'renovation'.

The AUS AC is a perfect example of how far the airline has fallen. It used to be a great club staffed by great people. Now the club is crowded and feels very rundown. And while the staff is still great, you can see in their expressions and manner how beat down they are by the constant delays, the disappointed customers, the crowding, their inability to do much when things go wrong, the everything that AA has become. It's very sad.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
PIT is currently under renovation, and everything I've heard has indicated that DFW D is just temporarily closed for renovation...so it seems unfair to have it in the "lost" category.
Was unsure about PIT honestly, and with DFW D will an AC open back up or just a FL? I was under the impression that the FL would take the entire space, but I could be wrong.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Catbert10
AUS removed the putting green and the back privacy cubes and replaced them with chairs, so technically that counts as a 'renovation'.

The AUS AC is a perfect example of how far the airline has fallen. It used to be a great club staffed by great people. Now the club is crowded and feels very rundown. And while the staff is still great, you can see in their expressions and manner how beat down they are by the constant delays, the disappointed customers, the crowding, their inability to do much when things go wrong, the everything that AA has become. It's very sad.
Come on, they also replaced the round tables in the bar area with squarish ones. Another notable upgrade. All kidding aside, love the staff, but I think that the plans never accounted for having to share the lounge with the BA flight, which has really caused an overload a couple of hours before that flight.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
All kidding aside, love the staff, but I think that the plans never accounted for having to share the lounge with the BA flight, which has really caused an overload a couple of hours before that flight.
Completely agree...on the few occasions I’ve been in that lounge, there have been NO seats at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.