Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baggage When 2nd Leg Upgrade Cleared - not first leg (AA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Greetings all! I've seen some similar results for UA/DL, but couldn't find anything recent for AA and hoping for some help. No longer have status with AA, but have a Barclay Aviator card.

I'm headed to CDG tomorrow from MCO-MIA-CDG. I have an award upgrade that cleared for MIA-CDG, but nothing from MCO-MIA. I just checked my ticket and it shows group 5 boarding for the first leg, but priority boarding for the second leg. I'm assuming I should expect to pay a second bag fee for the first leg, and no fee for the second? Or will they allow me to check 2 bags at no fee since my second leg is a cleared award in C? I have one single record locator, the upgrade confirmed, and the flight has been ticketed.

Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Both domestic and international I've been in a similar situation not for # of bags but the 50 vs 70lb limit and 90p of the time they will accept the second leg's allowance. I dint think it's a rule so YMMV based in the agent and station. Try to check in at the priority counter that may help.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! Good advice about checking-in too!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
Both domestic and international I've been in a similar situation not for # of bags but the 50 vs 70lb limit and 90p of the time they will accept the second leg's allowance. I dint think it's a rule so YMMV based in the agent and station. Try to check in at the priority counter that may help.
I've seen this too on a mid-Nov trip.
We were upgraded on the 2nd leg of the trip, not the leg where we checked in.
They let my wife and I slide by with (4) overweight bags (>50 , <70). We had just come back from a 13 day trans-atlantic cruise, and the alcohol my wife bought pushed each of our bags over the limit. It also helps to be nice , and being exp doesn't hurt either.

Also - not travel related, but are you a 240sx fan? I've still got the black 1993 240sx convertible which I bought in 1995. I'm putting a new top on it this winter!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:49 pm

I think it's a YMMV thing. Maybe it's because AA Only flies RJs with no F out of my home airport but more than once they've tried to charge me bag fees when I had a connecting flight in J/F and after pointing that out they waived the fee and put a priority tag on my bag. Didn't get priority boarding but on a 50 seat E145 that's not that big of deal.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by skydve1
Also - not travel related, but are you a 240sx fan? I've still got the black 1993 240sx convertible which I bought in 1995. I'm putting a new top on it this winter!
great catch! I am, lucked into a S14 mc as my first car and was addicted. Beautiful car and handled amazing, sad I sold it after college in 06 and even sadder it's still the same price as 2006. Still surf the freshalloy forum, wealth of info if you haven't visited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.