Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA exp - denied boarding due to manifest issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA exp - denied boarding due to manifest issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wow, this is a major screw up. I'd argue for refund of all ticket amounts paid, any expenses not covered by UA, and a healthy sum of cash.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Wow, this is a major screw up. I'd argue for refund of all ticket amounts paid, any expenses not covered by UA, and a healthy sum of cash.
Trip in vain should result in an automatic refund of all monies paid for tickets (fares and taxes/fees/etc.)

If the OP takes AA flights frequently, which seems to be the case since at least one of the parents is EXP, it will be easier to get vouchers than cash as an apology.

It matters whether OP just showed up at the airport with a baby while going USA to Canada, versus having informed AA in advance that there would be a lap infant. Proof of the latter would include a request for a bassinet seat even if the infant ticket was required but apparently never issued (or paid for, where the price would only be taxes, not the 10% that applies to most international tickets.

Canada is a foreign country and I suspect part of the problem is that OP should have checked requirements for lap infant travel in advance, rather than assuming that domestic USA rules apply. If you're attempting to being your kid along on a trip for free, this is your responsibility. Similarly, the AA check in agent should have known that Canada is a foreign country, checked all three passports, and verified lap kid rules for this route. It was a nonstop, so this apparently wasn't some outstation that's rarely deals with connections to the Canada transborder flights, although I really wish the OP wasn't being so coy about the originally ticketed routing.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The second post clarifies a lot. Of course, Canada is international. While AA does not charge the 10% of adult ticket fee, it is required to collect the international departure and arrivals taxes. Thus, the question arises as to whether OP called AA as required, and paid the taxes. As it is an international flight, the infant would have been issued a BP (on an infant ticket). Without that, the passenger count is off and the flight can't move.

Nonetheless, the GA loused up by boarding the infant without a BP. With the passenger count off, either AA issues the BP and does the add/collect (or locates someone who can waive that) or offloads the passengers.

We still don't know where this happened, but the fact is that it takes time.

So, absent a direct order to offload, the better approach is to politely, but firmly offer to pay the taxes due on the spot or have a supervisor come deal with it.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Often1
The second post clarifies a lot. Of course, Canada is international. While AA does not charge the 10% of adult ticket fee, it is required to collect the international departure and arrivals taxes. Thus, the question arises as to whether OP called AA as required, and paid the taxes. As it is an international flight, the infant would have been issued a BP (on an infant ticket). Without that, the passenger count is off and the flight can't move.

Nonetheless, the GA loused up by boarding the infant without a BP. With the passenger count off, either AA issues the BP and does the add/collect (or locates someone who can waive that) or offloads the passengers.

We still don't know where this happened, but the fact is that it takes time.

So, absent a direct order to offload, the better approach is to politely, but firmly offer to pay the taxes due on the spot or have a supervisor come deal with it.
An unfortunate situation for sure. I disagree with the suggestion to sit tight and wait for a supervisor while 100+ other are inconvenienced. What I would have asked for on the spot was a simple - explain the problem. For an EXPerienced flyer they should have known about the international infant/taxes due issue.

I do feel they are due some gesture from AA.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Nonetheless, the GA loused up by boarding the infant without a BP.
Yes they did.

Baby not ticketed properly on an international flight. Probably an alert on the ticketing system and briefly more going on than met the eye, Suspect there was at least momentary concern about lawful custody.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Bummer all around as far as the delayed flight, the improper infant ticketing, and the inability to spot it/handle it quickly go.

The burning question here is, did the GA then upgrade two more PALL pax or did it fly with two empty seats in the J cabin given the delayed departure?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, AC Elite
I had a very similar issue last week - flying LGA-YYZ-LGA with infant in lap. No problem outbound to YYZ - when we arrived at the airport for the return leg 3 days later they could not find the infant ticket as they said the infant ticket had been properly associated with the adult flyer after it was ticketed. Eventually a ticket was issued for the infant with a separate seat assignment to get us on the plane.

And we only paid taxes for infant in lap, not the 10% of adult ticket. Not sure if it is a Canada only issue or an issue with international infant in lap more generally, but a very frustrating experience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.