FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA A321T 3 class Flagship 2x a day BOS-LAX 2 Apr - 5 Sep 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1942980-aa-a321t-3-class-flagship-2x-day-bos-lax-2-apr-5-sep-2019-a.html)

ImprovGal Jun 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31236054)
Looks like they've completely removed the A321T from the route starting 9/4 and extending past 10/3. That didn't last long.

Indeed.
I've got a F award ticket booked HND-LAX-BOS. When I booked it, both legs were in Flagship F. With the downgrade to a 2-class plane for the domestic leg, will I be able to use the Flagship lounge? I've got a layover that's just under 12 hrs and was hoping to be able to use the quiet room for a nap if needed between the flights. If not, I'll see about booking a day room at the Sheraton, I suppose.

FlyingEgghead Jun 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by ImprovGal (Post 31236272)
Indeed.
I've got a F award ticket booked HND-LAX-BOS. When I booked it, both legs were in Flagship F. With the downgrade to a 2-class plane for the domestic leg, will I be able to use the Flagship lounge? I've got a layover that's just under 12 hrs and was hoping to be able to use the quiet room for a nap if needed between the flights. If not, I'll see about booking a day room at the Sheraton, I suppose.

Certainly, you can use the FL, which is allowed for same-day itineraries that include international J or F. You can even use FFD based on your arrival in international F. Your domestic class of service doesn't matter in this case -- it could even be Y.

wetrat0 Jun 24, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by AA2070 (Post 31089109)
If they made a 24J, 36MCE, 48Y version of the A321T, that would hit the sweet spot for this route. F is functionally no different than J aside from the food offferings and a slightly more private seat - not worth the premium. This A321T2 would also be able to turn BOS/DCA/IAD/MIA/PHL/JFK-LAX/SAN/SFO/SEA into actual Flagship Transcon routes.

Well, they are buying the 321XLR for TATL routes. The speculation is that it will be equipped with J/W/MCE/Y and used on thin Euro routes from JFK and PHL. Perhaps something like 12-16 J and 8-12 W. If that's the case, with enough birds they could also alternate them with TCON runs. For example, PHL-Europe-PHL-LAX-BOS-LAX-PHL and so on. Depending on the timing it could also improve aircraft utilization. Similar if they are used for MIA to thinner routes in South America, they could alternate through MIA-South America-MIA-LAX-BOS-LAX-MIA....

donotblink Jun 24, 2019 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 31236140)
It's a shame they don't have a two class narrowbody with lie flats suitable for the route. I'd bet that would do well.

What about the 757s they use on MIA->JFK and JFK->EGE

dkc192 Jun 24, 2019 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by ImprovGal (Post 31236272)
Indeed.

As someone else said, you should have access to both the Flagship Lounge and Flagship First Dining by virtue of your inbound international F flight. That said, you could also request a switch to LAX-JFK-BOS, with the former in F, on account of the schedule change. Depends on how much you value the lieflat seat and enhanced meal service vs. the convenience of a nonstop.

MAH4546 Jun 25, 2019 2:56 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 31236140)
It's a shame they don't have a two class narrowbody with lie flats suitable for the route. I'd bet that would do well.

They do. They have 757s with lie flats. Lots of them, same exact seats as on the A321.

But as American is an ultra low cost airline like Spirit, Allegiant, etc., hard to earn new premium traffic.

RTW4 Jun 25, 2019 3:01 am

Actually being based in NYC and flying to the west coast quite often, I disagree that American is " an ultra low cost airline". In fact my company only contracts with American for their business class product both on the ground and in the air. And many times I will use a SWU which gets me into the FFD dining area at JFK and LAX. Hardly an ultra low cost experience in my opinion....

PHL Jun 25, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 31237016)
They do. They have 757s with lie flats. Lots of them, same exact seats as on the A321.
But as American is an ultra low cost airline like Spirit, Allegiant, etc., hard to earn new premium traffic.

"Lots" is subjective. AA has a fleet of 34 757's, and only 10 of those have 12 lie flat seats up front. The remaining 24 have 16 standard (i.e. not lie flat) domestic business class seats.

For all the "cheapness" people complain about AA, I wouldn't even begin to put them into the ULCC category by any stretch. When they shut their lounges, gut the Advantage program and leave OW and any other airline partnerships, then we can talk about whether or not they have earned ULCC status in the race to the bottom.

beachfan Jun 25, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 31238367)
"Lots" is subjective. AA has a fleet of 34 757's, and only 10 of those have 12 lie flat seats up front. The remaining 24 have 16 standard (i.e. not lie flat) domestic business class seats.

For all the "cheapness" people complain about AA, I wouldn't even begin to put them into the ULCC category by any stretch. When they shut their lounges, gut the Advantage program and leave OW and any other airline partnerships, then we can talk about whether or not they have earned ULCC status in the race to the bottom.

I was under the impression that the 757s are being phased out (because of fuel efficiency/maintenance costs) but don't have any facts on it.

Austin787 Jun 25, 2019 11:06 am

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 31238367)

Actually, the 16 J seat 757s are lie flat.

JALOO5-Flyer Jun 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787 (Post 31238407)

To add onto it, the 12J LUS 757s are not fully lie-flat, as they only recline at ~170 degrees.

AA's issue with BOS flight to me is the price -- while DL UA and B6 sells BOS lie-flat cheaper than JFK lie-flat (and sometimes there's $499 oneway up front to BOS), AA prices BOS flight ridiculously high in comparison (~$800 oneway on 32T I fare) and this just does not make sense to me not flying DL/UA/B6 if I have to spend my own money.

dkc192 Jun 25, 2019 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer (Post 31238665)
To add onto it, the 12J LUS 757s are not fully lie-flat, as they only recline at ~170 degrees.

Actually the 12J LUS 757s all have domestic F seats and are used primarily for PHX-Hawaii runs. The US-era Envoy recliners (not lie-flats) are now gone.

PHL Jun 26, 2019 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Austin787 (Post 31238407)

Thanks for the clarification. I had it reversed. Not sure I would still consider 24 lie flat 757's "Lots".

ryanbriar Jul 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Denied From QF F Lounge

Originally Posted by tacostuff (Post 31081880)
If I recall correctly, there was some ambiguity whether F on LAX-BOS on the A321T gets access to the QF lounge. Well, I accessed both the QF F and J lounges with my LAX-BOS F ticket. The QF F attendant questioned it initially, then let me in fairly easily. I then went to the J lounge, and they gave me a very hard time at first, but then after I pushed back, they let me in after calling a supervisor. While far from an "official" policy, it is one data point to add

An additional datapoint - I just tried to access the QF first lounge following my BOS-LAX segment (long layover up to Alaska) and was swiftly denied. I was told that Flagship first does not grant access on a purely domestic itinerary. When I pressed, the front desk agent put me on the phone with the supervisor who explained the same thing. I’m not sure if it was because I was not departing from LAX, but it was not worth arguing over. Back to FFD it is!

DWFI Jul 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by ryanbriar (Post 31321417)

An additional datapoint - I just tried to access the QF first lounge following my BOS-LAX segment (long layover up to Alaska) snd was swiftly denied. I was told that Flagship first does not grant access on a purely domestic itinerary. When I pressed, the front desk agent put me on the phone with the supervisor who explained the same thing. I’m not sure if it was because I was not departing from LAX, but it was not worth arguing over. Back to FFD it is!

I've been let in several times on a LAX-BOS in J. I think the issue is you were an arriving passenger connecting on a non oneworld airline. I don't believe you have access in that scenario.