Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AARP on BA and EQM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

AARP on BA and EQM

I'm considering booking a BA business trans Atlantic (IDA/LHR/CDG RT) flight using the AARP discount on BA (BA ticket on BA metal) and crediting to AAdvantage. The website doesn't show the specific booking code (I,J, or whatever) for the booking, which is darn annoying. Has anyone done this, and should I expect to receive the new 2x EQM for the flights credited to my AAdvantage account. Or does this book into something weird? I suppose I could buy, call BA, and cancel if I don't like what I hear, but I'm sure people on here have done this.

Thanks for your help kind folks!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

2x EQMs unless u are buying full fare J

Originally Posted by bostonkarl
I'm considering booking a BA business trans Atlantic (IDA/LHR/CDG RT) flight using the AARP discount on BA (BA ticket on BA metal) and crediting to AAdvantage. The website doesn't show the specific booking code (I,J, or whatever) for the booking, which is darn annoying. Has anyone done this, and should I expect to receive the new 2x EQM for the flights credited to my AAdvantage account. Or does this book into something weird? I suppose I could buy, call BA, and cancel if I don't like what I hear, but I'm sure people on here have done this.

Thanks for your help kind folks!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is travel for 2018 or 2019?

If 2018, then it will be 1.5 regardless of which booking class it is

When booking on the BA site, it is possible to see the booking class during the booking . Once you have selected the flights and on the "Review your flights" page, next to the flight information is a link "flight details" ; click on that and the pop up window will state the selling class

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 14, 2018 at 8:33 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
I have used the AARP discount for BA flights in the past. It usually books into I class as it is a discounted business class fare. I have also noticed that it is not always available. I'm not sure if it is subject to capacity controls or blackout dates, but if it is available the fare will be indicated as such by being highlighted in yellow with the word "discounted."
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Yup, it is for flights in 2019. And, no, the whole issue is that the BA booking (via AARP to receive the discount) does not show the booking class - very annoying. And, yes, the fares are available as denoted by "discounted".
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Okay, I went through and bought it. Unlike the normal BA site, one only sees the booking class *after* buying in a detailed pull down tab. This was IAD/LHR/CDG in Club World over July 4th for just over $2500. The IAD/LHR legs booked into I. LHR/CDG legs booed into J. Upper deck seats reserved due to Emerald status (EXP). Color me pleased.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This was IAD/LHR/CDG in Club World over July 4th for just over $2500. The IAD/LHR legs booked into I. LHR/CDG legs booed into J.
For whatever reason, on all my BA TATL J tickets, the longhaul leg books into I/D/whatever but the connecting European leg books into full J. It used to be irrelevant as all J booking classes had the same earning potential, but that changes in 2019, when J will get 3x EQM compared to 2x EQM for the lower classes.
thorofare likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Okay, I went through and bought it. Unlike the normal BA site, one only sees the booking class *after* buying in a detailed pull down tab. This was IAD/LHR/CDG in Club World over July 4th for just over $2500. The IAD/LHR legs booked into I. LHR/CDG legs booed into J. Upper deck seats reserved due to Emerald status (EXP). Color me pleased.
So a bit late to this party BUT the booking code is actually available before you book if you know where to click. You click the flight number and it will show the "selling class" (aka booking code) for each cabin, the below screenshot is from a logged in BA/AARP booking (notice discount) click the flight number and you can see the popup shows for Club/First the selling class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.