Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Weird refund and separate gift card issuance after standby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum

I recently completed a RT itinerary in paid F (booking code I). The total cost was just under $400. Yesterday AA's system e-mailed me out of the blue saying a refund of around $90 had been approved and processed. Then today "AA refunds department" sent me a gift card for about $30. Neither the refund nor the card are even dollar amounts. Both reference the ticket number for the itinerary in question.

I am very confused as to why these refunds would have been issued. I neither requested a refund nor reticketed the itinerary at any time. However, the following adjustments did happen on the days of travel:
- Stood by for an earlier flight on the outbound. Both segments ended up in F, although for the first one the F seat opened last minute so a Y boarding pass was issued initially
- Stood by for a later flight on the inbound and called AA saying I would not be able to make my original flight (they cancelled it). Both segments on the inbound ended up in Y

Mileage for all segments posted as I class.

Any idea why these refunds were issued?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by mcrw00
I recently completed a RT itinerary in paid F (booking code I). The total cost was just under $400. Yesterday AA's system e-mailed me out of the blue saying a refund of around $90 had been approved and processed. Then today "AA refunds department" sent me a gift card for about $30. Neither the refund nor the card are even dollar amounts. Both reference the ticket number for the itinerary in question.

I am very confused as to why these refunds would have been issued. I neither requested a refund nor reticketed the itinerary at any time. However, the following adjustments did happen on the days of travel:
- Stood by for an earlier flight on the outbound. Both segments ended up in F, although for the first one the F seat opened last minute so a Y boarding pass was issued initially
- Stood by for a later flight on the inbound and called AA saying I would not be able to make my original flight (they cancelled it). Both segments on the inbound ended up in Y

Mileage for all segments posted as I class.

Any idea why these refunds were issued?
My first confusion: "I" is discounted BUSINESS - not *PAID FIRST* Or was this a totally domestic itinerary that AA markets as First but tickets as business? And even if booking into "I" - what was the original Fare Basis?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
My first confusion: "I" is discounted BUSINESS - not *PAID FIRST* Or was this a totally domestic itinerary that AA markets as First but tickets as business? And even if booking into "I" - what was the original Fare Basis?
All domestic, so marketed as First/ticketed as Business. Don’t have the fare basis on hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.