Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAs Flame AA on Private Facebook Page

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by asf-07
It may be free from some office games, but many of them introduce their own. When the cat's away....
Cat or no cat, never underestimate the ability of humans to introduce needless drama into any and every work situation
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
One thing I can say that after more than 37 years in the corporate world I often yearn for a job to be free of onsite supervisors and office politics. Sometimes I look at FAs with envy. They're job may not be perfect nor pay all that much buts its free of office games.
I think working for SkyWest or Compass is a hard job as a FA. Lots of ups and downs Quick drink service tight quarters. Low pay and you really have to live in a major city with high living expenses. Strangely. they are almost routinely excellent without any supervision and minimal service standards.

I think working for AA as a junior flight attendant can be difficult. Crazy passengers but OK pay and benefits. Not much choice on where to live but they are generally very good.

I think working for AA as a senior flight attendant in international J or F would be a great job. Passengers are mostly very interesting ... if you don't hang out in the galley, you could probably learn a lot. They don't expect QR service but at least want the same attention as in an E175. After take off and meal service, you can basically walk around, talk to people, and bring them drinks. The pay is pretty decent ... often in the high five figures, sometimes more if you work a lot. You can work part time and have a pension plan, a medical plan, and live anywhere you want. Despite that, the service in international J is almost always worse than in an A320 between PHX and LAX.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:20 pm

The single biggest problem in the airline industry from a customer service standpoint is the industry tradition of unions.
Unions and customer service are antithetical. Just look at how many have 30-50 years of service. Does anyone stay in "normal" business that long? The older ones that hate their job get paid a lot to work very little and so they never leave. Also that inability to move between companies (all due to the coveted seniority system, which is just a trap) creates a disproportionate number of unhappy workers.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
My last international trip on AA was LAX-SYD RT in J and I was pretty happy with the in flight service, meals and seat...few complaints. Since then my travel has been solely domestic and the in flight service has also been pretty good here as well...so again, few complaints. Where I personally see AA degrading is their corporate attitude towards me (aka the paying customer); things like the devaluations, service cuts, degraded hard product (ex: the ironically named 737 MAX) and the crystal clear message that I'm simply an inconvenience to them. It really is a shame to me because I feel that I've been treated pretty decently over the past years and that I was somewhat valued as a customer (both in flight and from the corporate perspective) but lately AA has clearly communicated from the top down that the customer is an irritant and should be pushed away. Hopefully corporate leadership will change (or change their attitude) along with the clear anti-customer message that they current radiate.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Fly'nAAgain
My last international trip on AA was LAX-SYD RT in J and I was pretty happy with the in flight service, meals and seat...few complaints. Since then my travel has been solely domestic and the in flight service has also been pretty good here as well...so again, few complaints. Where I personally see AA degrading is their corporate attitude towards me (aka the paying customer); things like the devaluations, service cuts, degraded hard product (ex: the ironically named 737 MAX) and the crystal clear message that I'm simply an inconvenience to them. It really is a shame to me because I feel that I've been treated pretty decently over the past years and that I was somewhat valued as a customer (both in flight and from the corporate perspective) but lately AA has clearly communicated from the top down that the customer is an irritant and should be pushed away. Hopefully corporate leadership will change (or change their attitude) along with the clear anti-customer message that they current radiate.
Unfortunately the "Wal Mart" track of business (and in the airline industry the ULCC) starts to view the customer that way. Its how much can we take away from the experience or what can be charge you in exchange to enhance the experience. Ultimately that begins to translate down to the rank and file that customers are something to treat shabbly after all they are getting our service for cheap.

Even more unfortunate is that the consumer to save a few bucks seems more than willing to allow themselves to be treated as an irritant although they certainly will yell about it afterwards. I don't shop in Wal Mart. Its not that I'm a snob but I'm not willing to stand in a long line with surly employees to save $5 on my shopping bill. I won't fly an ULCC. I know if a flight is canceled I will be SOL really quick. I would never want to be sandwiched in a fully packed a/c with 28 inch seat pinch if an emergency occurs. Its become the "Corvair" of flying, dangerous at any speed.

The bright spot is that most front line employees work hard and do their best. They have pride in how they do their job From my experience they range from brand new hires to those that were around in the DC8 days.

The US domestic airline industry is heading more towards the Spirit business model. Those few that buy premium and have a lounge membership or access will be able to rise above some of it. For everyone they are going to get the Spirit experience when flying.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA - My other choices are severely limited
Just had a recent conversation (last week) with an FA while flying the MIA-LGA-MIA Max Sardine Can, albeit sitting upfront.

She was on the young(er) side (for a change) and during a break in the action, just after serving me another adult beverage, I asked her how she likes working this aircraft.
She made a face like one wood after swallowing spoiled milk and said: "Hate it. Does not look forward to these days. The galleys are cramped, there is still not enough overhead bin space even with the newest version, and the lavatories are abysmal". "Never ever go to the rear lavs" as lines are always long". I mentioned the faucets are being modified to help reduce the splashing. With a puzzled look she went and tried the one in FC, shrugged her shoulders.

I told her this is my 5th flight on the "Dougie Max" and I've yet to use them. She laughed. I said I avoid them whenever I can, she replied "good decision".

I've had my share of cranky, short answers/could care less FA's however this excellent crew was a rarity.
Now, if somehow the current version of LGA would just instantly disappear.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines
A poster above mentioned the source or motivation for my loyalty to AA. Well, it was definitely stimulated by perks/miles/benefits. Yet, it was during many flights throughout the 1990's to 2015. I frequently flew to Puerto Rico, thence into the Caribbean, Miami to the Caribbean and South America. Then East Coast/West Coast. Then East Coast into Europe. I found cabin serive in business and first (when available) to be quite good with very rare exception during that period. And that had much more to do with my loyalty. I could have switched along the way, but was not motivated because I was well treated. I don't expect perfection, only consistent quality. Maybe it was just my good luck, but I had so many good experiences that those in the past few years are all the more disappointing.

Anecdotally, I agree that the trend toward the Wal-Mart or Spirit Airlines model will continue. The traveling public will put up with sardine can seating and zero customer care as long as it's cheap. Oh, they will complain, but that's like therapy to soothe their frazzled minds. They're content to complain without considering why thing are the way they are.

Safe travels.

Always do your checklist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.