Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many status bag tags is too many?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Tags

I had copped a roll of sticker tags saying AOG must go.
I tried them on my bags one time flying to the Pacific on Pan Am . The bags went to a different country so I was screwed for a day
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
Standing in line for 2459 to LAX. This guy has two exp tags on his roller and one on that bag around his neck.

Worse are the people who attach the white admirals club tag to their luggage. Why?? Why do they even make them. I have zero of anything attacked to my bags. I always laugh to myself when I see these people with all their tags. They are probably the same people who never removed lift tickets from their jacket zippers in high school.
for me, has nothing to do with ego.

After twice having someone else take my bags from the carousel before I got there ( and another three spotted in fine) I put all types of tags in my bag to make it more unique.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I still have my original AA EXP tag on my backpack and I have my Delta 2MM tag on my carry on spinner. I guess I’m a sentimental fool! I can’t recall the last time I checked a bag but if I did, I’d have a few more.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:28 pm

You can not have to many tags

After rotating the globe multiple times in a few weeks I had a flight attendant chase me down after pass port control but prior to customs with a bag that remained on the plane. I had multiple AA tags on this hand piece of luggage I forgot in the overhead. So I say you never can have to many name tags.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I also don't believe you can have too many tags, especially since they break and can get damaged. I use al the once I get from airlines, hotels, gifts, etc on my bags. Currently waiting on a delayed bag from an Iberia and thankful I have redundant tags on the bag.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Current set up:

- Laptop Bag/Main Work Bag: AA EXP Tag, AA 1MM Tag, old UA Premier Gold Tag
- Overnight Bag: UA Premier Platinum Tag, Brown Leather Tag with my initials (matches the color)
- Weekend Bag: Flyertalk Tag, old Delta Silver tag, United Premier Platinum Tag
- Long Weekend Bag: United Premier Platinum Tag
- Week Long Trip+ Bag: old Delta Silver tag

I had two DL Platinum tags but they broke. I think I was given a second AA EXP tag but I'm not sure what I did with it.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Meh, I neither understand why some people feel the need to have >1 tag on their bag(s) or why some people think that if someone does have a heap of tags on their bag its is an issue. I suppose for some there's some anthropological curiosity about those that feel the need to keep every bragtag they've received but as it has no effect on me thus I could care less if someone has 1 or 100 tags on their bag,
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
If you fly a lot to earn a tag, you’re probably not checking bags very much (with exceptions), but keep in mind that all these tags can block the bar code bag tag, preventing the bar code readers from scanning, sorting & routing your bags correctly leading to a manual sort of your bags & a potential delay of your bags.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Who cares?!?! A person complaining about another traveler and their bag tags is the one with a problem not the person with the “too many” bag tags.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Well, first of all, I stopped caring what other people thought of me when I was 15.

Second, having a collection of semi-random tags is, for me, fun in the same way that old European hotel and steamer stickers on trunks was fun way back in the 20th century. (Yeah, back then fancy hotels all had stickers.) My current collection includes a plain business-card holder (a valued gift), an AA million-mile tag, some old Platinum tags, various generations of Admirals Club tags (including an old one with a leatherette strap), a generic United Mileage Plus tag and a really mangled SNCF tag. These are all attached to a really old beat-up looking canvas duffel bag.

And third, all this usefully signals "I've been around and I know what I'm doing" during those heart-stopping moments when I'm trying to board a regional jet without having to gate-check anything. In other words, I look like a guy who's been there before and who knows that it'll all fit, even in one of those little overheads with an 8-inch opening (CRJ, I believe since the opening in an ER jet is something more like 9 inches). Not having a hard-sided bag helps, too.

Then there's always the entertainment value of looking at other people's tags: I would about die, for example, if I ever came across anyone with an old Pan Am or TWA tag.
milesandmoremiles likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Well, first of all, I stopped caring what other people thought of me when I was 15.

Then there's always the entertainment value of looking at other people's tags: I would about die, for example, if I ever came across anyone with an old Pan Am or TWA tag.
Don't sit next me then, I have both Lounge tags. Can't get any for Delta today
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Lomopaseo, you just made my day. Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Luggage tag story

My bag is not on the carousel at MIA and there is one similar sized black bag that I don’t think looks like mine- this one has many streamers, mine had many tags incl. AAs, a hotel chain or two, etc.

But all the bags are gone except this one going round and round . I fill out a form with baggage claim, mention maybe it has something to do with the one that’s left. No help other than taking the report.

On a hunch I call the number on the bag tag. I can tell the person picking up is in a moving car.

”Hello”
”Yes”
”Is your name XYZ”
”Yes”
”Did you just leave Miami airport”?
”Yes”
”You left your bag, here”
”No I didn’t, it’s in the trunk”
”I’m guessing that’s my bag that’s in your trunk”
”No it’s not, it’s my bag”
”how did I get your phone number then if not off your luggage tag?”

That convinced him.

Six weeks later, same thing happens at LAX but this time I don’t bother with a lost baggage report but just call the number on the tag. Same exact conversation as above with “how do you think I got your phone number” as the clincher.

Now I have even bigger tags to go with the others.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:26 pm

1 is too many lol
​​​
i don't understand them tbh
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
1 is too many lol
​​​
i don't understand them tbh
Wait till someone walks off with your bag because they mixed it up with theirs.

My bag is tagged in a way that it is abundantly clear that it is not someone else's.
robertablake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.