Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many status bag tags is too many?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I don't mind anyone showing elite tags on bags. I'm personally much more against surreptitious close-range photo-taking (identifying or not) to use as a shaming tool. But that's just my old-school opinion.

So he had two tags on one bag, on different handles? Tags can get ripped off, so he has a back up on the other handle. Or maybe he intends on flying back with a second checked bag, so one of the two is temporary? To be clear, in the target's case, it wasn't around the target's neck; it's on his shoulder bag's neckstrap, exactly where one might logically attach a tag (if one were so inclined, of course).

Originally Posted by catcher1
On my favorite silver suitcase I have a genuine 1988 Pan Am tag and one from a National Geographic Expedition. They don't bother anybody, bring back great memories of wonderful travel experiences, and make it a cinch to recognize my bag wherever I am. I also get nice comments on the Pan Am tag.
What a great memory piece to have! But, believe me, they bother someone, somewhere, in this day and age. I was able to fly on Pan Am twice--once as a two-year-old and again at age 4 . But I still have the drink napkin that my mom saved from the second trip. So I almost feel as if I can remember it!
Gig103 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Forgot also have my million mile bag tag too...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by JDiver
So, here’s what I like about them.

1) They don’t have my address on them.

2) They have my name and if my bag is Gate Checked AA knows how to reach me if that bag is extraviated.

3) They’re free.

4) They’re durable.

5) Did I mention they’re free?
I dunno from "free." I paid about 20 grand for mine grumble grumble...
Gig103 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Qantas Q tags are great because Qantas staff (and a lot of AA staff surprisingly) recognise them but the tags themselves are understated and don't scream "I'M AN IMPORTANT PERSON, LET ME THROUGH". In fact, they don't say anything at all.

They're individually coded with your FF number for tracking and you don't need to print paper tags for checked luggage when flying with Qantas. When traveling internationally the nondescript grey (for platinum, each tier has a different colour) discs are easily recognizable on the carousel or in the overhead bin.
SouthernCross and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Of course this is the ultimate brag tag for my computer bag. A little faded after many years, though.

enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
One of my suitcases still has an NWA bag tag on it from circa 2006. Every once in a while I get a comment on it.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by enviroian
Standing in line for 2459 to LAX. This guy has two exp tags on his roller and one on that bag around his neck.
Now, is it just me or aren't these tags actually the previous ones so likely a few years old? Makes one wonder if this gentleman hasn't re-qualified in years and is simply seeking to remember his status from years past...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Now, is it just me or aren't these tags actually the previous ones so likely a few years old? Makes one wonder if this gentleman hasn't re-qualified in years and is simply seeking to remember his status from years past...
I've seen plenty of folks with the old style EXP tags. What I think is they requalify each year but don't care enough to switch out the new tags.
TSparky likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
I had 4 generations of EXP tags on my rollaboard for a bit.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:03 am

I wish AA had the customer focus to still issue tags.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
I wish AA had the customer focus to still issue tags.
They do. I recently went through my annual ritual of tossing them straight into the trash
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:42 am

How do you HUCA a f2f encounter?
Whack him over the head with a telephone, cellular or not?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by masamune
For me, these tags are a huge privacy concern. I do not need the general public knowing my full name. Not that I am anyone special, but I would rather not divulge this information if I don't need to.
Damn you! If I see someone attractive, or just generally curious, I may look them up on Facebook and Linked In to see if I can learn more about them
PHX_Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:53 am

I've seen plenty of folks with the old style EXP tags. What I think is they requalify each year but don't care enough to switch out the new tags.
I generally try to switch out my tags - I certainly don't want people thinking I was a "former" EXP if they see my old tags.

Also, I've never understood why anyone puts the AAdmirals Club tags on their bags. IIRC, they don't even have your name on it. Back in the day, when I first received them,I thought the tag could be scanned to gain admittance, but that was not the case. Seems like a huge waste.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:57 am

I generally try to switch out my tags - I certainly don't want people thinking I was a "former" EXP if they see my old tags.

Also, I've never understood why anyone puts the AAdmirals Club tags on their bags. IIRC, they don't even have your name on it. Back in the day, when I first received them,I thought the tag could be scanned to gain admittance, but that was not the case. Seems like a huge waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.