Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Escalating a pathetic Cust Rels response - cancellation requiring out of pocket spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Escalating a pathetic Cust Rels response - cancellation requiring out of pocket spend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: CK or bust
Just try it again before going off the deep end with small claims, grandma, DOT complaints, etc... Don't take offense at that initial template-style response, it's almost synonymous with airline customer service these days.
JDiver, JJeffrey, jhartvu and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Just try it again before going off the deep end with small claims, grandma, DOT complaints, etc... Don't take offense at that initial template-style response, it's almost synonymous with airline customer service these days.
DOT complaints are not "going off the deep end." If more people filed DOT complaints, AA might be more likely to try to perform its end of the COC the first time around. AA actually cares about DOT complaints. Its customers and doing the right thing the first time, not so much.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
A DOT complaint isn't going off the deep end. Quite simply, you take exactly what you would have replied to AA's email with, and email it to the DOT instead. You get your issue resolved, and the DOT maybe takes notice that AA is attempting to use a template email form to avoid complying with its COC.
PlatinumScum, AndyAA and relaxabit like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:13 am

I recently had a similar experience where my flight was delayed by 4 hours due to a confirmed mechanical issue and eventual aircraft swap and everybody missed their onward connections. Upon arrival at DFW at nearly midnight, there were no agents meeting the flight with the promised hotel vouchers. I immediately booked my own hotel and when I finally got home I contacted AA via the website about the issue. I received a reply requesting a copy of my hotel bill. Shortly after sending it I received a $200 e-voucher for my troubles and yesterday I received an actual check in the mail for the exact cost of my hotel stay. I was actually surprised and impressed by how well and quickly it was handled. Based on my experience, I would, as others have, suggest the OP contact AA again. I suspect they will make it right once they actually pay attention to what the OP is saying.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

You might try escalating within AA Customer Relations before trying Small Claims Court. You’ve not exhausted your AA resources yet, and it’s likely to take less time and effort to pursue your complaint with AA.

Filing with DOT can be fairly easy (see the Wikipost in the thread I linked to), and it probably adds to the weight of similar complaints against AA. I’m not sure if the DOT actually responds significantly to these.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
A DOT complaint isn't going off the deep end. Quite simply, you take exactly what you would have replied to AA's email with, and email it to the DOT instead. You get your issue resolved, and the DOT maybe takes notice that AA is attempting to use a template email form to avoid complying with its COC.
My apologies for word choice there. DOT complaints are definitely a valid avenue but are probably further down the line of "what's next if I'm not getting my concern addressed" where a second email or phone call to start a reimbursement review might do the trick with less work.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Thanks all - I did respond back to the original AA response. I got a note today requesting receipts, so perhaps they'll come through.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a forced overnight this year at BWI due to maintenance. As an AA Platinum on a paid F fare I got the same 15,000 miles. While it was pretty pathetic, I just accepted it and moved on.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
DOT complaints are not "going off the deep end." If more people filed DOT complaints, AA might be more likely to try to perform its end of the COC the first time around. AA actually cares about DOT complaints. Its customers and doing the right thing the first time, not so much.
It wasn't in any way intended to take away from the validity of the OP's complaint but rather to suggest the e-mail equivalent of HUCA before escalating to the next step.

When it comes to AA online forms and email, it's especially important to be as clear as possible about what happened and what you're asking for. No doubt, the unfortunate souls handling these deal with a huge volume of very valid as well as somewhat questionable complaints about everything possible related to trAAvel hiccups and sub-par travel experiences both large and small so human error can also play a part too when they have a few seconds or minutes to .......ize a template to respond.

I would absolutely advocate that the OP pursue AA to reimburse reasonable expenses incurred by a mechanical issue that AA had already committed to but prodding is sometimes a better way to obtain a desired result than going straight for the DOT crop.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by daslax
Thanks all - I did respond back to the original AA response. I got a note today requesting receipts, so perhaps they'll come through.
Wonderful! Thanks for posting back.

It really can throw things off when you receive those scripted phone or template responses but glad to hear that they requested receipts as that's usually a first step in their process to evaluate/reimburse you.

There are certainly some cases where DOT and small claims cases would make sense but if you can get it resolved faster (and with less work on your part) without going those routes, then awesome.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
They responded quickly after I sent the receipts...

And sent me a $70 voucher for future travel. Not even an acknowledgment or excuse, just this:

Here is the voucher we promised. It's valid for one year from today and you can use it to purchase travel on American/American Eagle for anyone you choose. Ready to book your flights? Call us at 800-433-7300.
If there's anything further we can help you with, don't hesitate to reach us via our online web form on aa.com. We're here to help.
Thank you for flying American Airlines!
Wow... just wow... I guess DOT is next, but they're really about to lose an EXP.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

And sent me a $70 voucher for future travel. Not even an acknowledgment or excuse, just this:

Wow... just wow... I guess DOT is next, but they're really about to lose an EXP.

Don't use the voucher. It might acknowledge offer acceptance. Def go DOT. Unreal.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
but they're really about to lose an EXP.
They couldn't care less I'm afraid.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

This is where AA has failed several times, not just to you as an EXP, but to all other lower elites & non elites as well who where affected by similar circumstances and are left on their own. Tweet to AA and they say to send receipts, then send receipt and all you get is nothing. Not everyone has the time to go back to escalate or fight it out. AA, and perhaps numerous other companies first line of response to a CS inquiry is a template response that is not related to the issue at hand.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When it comes to AA online forms and email, it's especially important to be as clear as possible about what happened and what you're asking for. No doubt, the unfortunate souls handling these deal with a huge volume of very valid as well as somewhat questionable complaints about everything possible related to trAAvel hiccups and sub-par travel experiences both large and small
This has to be very true - just check out the comments/questions in public social media forums where AA posts/advertises like FB and Twitter. It's kind of frightening what it's like having to deal with the general public.

Does that make it reasonable to cut them some slack? I don't know. They're obviously being cheap by either not using more up-to-date technology for filtering/responding or by using unskilled labor. It's not clear they're intentionally trying to shirk their responsibilities, even if it feels like that's the outcome. I do have to believe, however, that DOT complaints will ratchet up the pressure on them to get things right the first time.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.