Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why is AA steering Admirals Club membership to Citibank Executive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

It is obvious from American Airlines Admirals Club Membership marketing emails they are steering customers to join via Citibank Executive Card versus directly. Why? EDITED I can not get the matrix chart to copy properly where it shows all the added benefits of Citibank Executive Card

Relax before the runwayBecome an Admirals Club® memberGain access to more than 100 Admirals Club® and partner lounges worldwide. Plus, enjoy snacks, drinks, Wi-Fi and help with your flights before you board.

There are 2 ways to get a membership:Admirals Club®
individual membershipCiti® / AAdvantage®
Executive World EliteTM
Mastercard®†
Enjoy these benefits:
Annual Fee
$450†Admirals Club® + partner lounge access for you and guests with you✓✓Admirals Club® access for up to 10 authorized users not traveling with you*✓Elite Qualifying Miles opportunity*✓Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® application fee credit*✓
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:12 pm

Probably a stickier relationship​​​​. And a more long term revenue stream.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Easy answer:

AA/AAdvantage, and to be fair they are not alone in the this, has become a credit card affiliate that also just happens to operate airplanes. The CC companies pay them handsomely and that revenue has little to no cost to generate unlike those pesky planes that need stupid things like fuel, pilots and FAs which all cost money. Plus the CC companies never complain if the aforementioned planes they begrudgingly operate happen to have issues.
This article is a bit dated but demonstrates the revenue projections:

American will get a big revenue boost

As has become common in the airline industry, American Airlines is extending its co-branded credit card partnerships long before they were due to expire. This allowed it to get an immediate step-up in credit card revenue, followed by further compensation increases down the road.

In an SEC filing, American Airlines stated that the new agreements will boost its pre-tax income by $200 million during the second half of 2016. It expects the benefit to rise to $550 million in 2017 -- the first full year under the revised agreements -- and increase further to $800 million in 2018.

These contractual improvements will lift American's pre-tax profit margin by 2 percentage points by 2018, relative to what it would have been under the old credit card agreements. The company expects additional (but smaller) pre-tax income gains after 2018.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/...redit-car.aspx
jcatman and fotographer like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
And the recently announced membership price increase, while holding the CC fee unchanged, is further encouragement to become a member via the CC. Just add your family members as authorized cardholders and you effectively get a household membership thrown in for free.
GTITAN and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
if one is requires to fly AA (and some partners) to enter the lounge with AA club membership vs flying AA only via Citi credit card. not sure if AA cares about Admiral club membership anymore.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA makes a lot of money from the Citi relationship. Not only for the card itself but in the miles it sells to Citi. That more than makes up for the price differential, even the new $100 extra.

Citi also has a say in what the card fee is and I doubt that Citi has any interest in an increased fee for one of its cards.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pbd456
if one is requires to fly AA (and some partners) to enter the lounge with AA club membership vs flying AA only via Citi credit card. not sure if AA cares about Admiral club membership anymore.
Er, the Citi Executive Card bestows a full annual membership to the primary cardholders - cheaperbthan the usual annual membership. The card also allows up to ten affiliate card members access (but with more limits than apply to full membership).

And all members, regardless of whether purchased or via the Exec card, will have to show an AA, AS or one world same day boarding pass for access as of 1 November 2019.

The discussion is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ns-2019-a.html.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I saw the signage in ORD today and thought it was kind of odd. But then I went said 'oh well' and went back to my meatballs.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Someone in the bean-counting department of AA may have found that CC pax were more profitable per visit than annual fee or per-visit passengers.

Alternatively, they may intend for most consumers to gain access through a credit card, and aim the higher-priced club membership at business travelers whose employer will buy them a lounge membership.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Oct 21, 2018 at 7:31 am
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Why are people assuming Citi isn't going to raise the fee on the card? Did I miss Citi's announcement that the card fee will be held constant? They don't have to announce an increase for a few months still, even for renewals.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Exactly, why people think Citi won't raise the fee is beyond me.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Exactly, why people think Citi won't raise the fee is beyond me.
Not assuming anything here, and Citi could certainly do so. However, I think it might think twice about it. If they increased the fee to $550 it would be higher than the co-branded cards for the other airlines and would put it at the same fee as the Amex Plat, which offers significantly more benefits and ways to offset the annual fee via fee credits. Given the reduced access, I’m sure it would lead to lots and lots of cancellations of the card.

So my WAG is that it will not increase, also bc I bet there is some sort of deal behind the scenes that still makes the Executive card profitable to both Citi and AA, even at current pricing.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Given the reduced access, I’m sure it would lead to lots and lots of cancellations of the card.
I doubt it. American is generally quite data-driven so I would think that there was analysis that went into this. Heavy AA domestic flyers who use the clubs will likely continue to hold their Citi Exec cards and if anything there will just be a shift from AA-direct AC memberships to the Citi Exec memberships, losing the fringe population in either group along the way. After all, AA doesn't need to care about flyers who make use of their clubs and don't actually fly with them. While I personally am not a fan of the new policy, from an AA perspective, why subsidize flyers who aren't that loyal?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enpremiere
While I personally am not a fan of the new policy, from an AA perspective, why subsidize flyers who aren't that loyal?
Agreed. Also from AA perspective, why provide a lounge to make flying other airlines such as Southwest or Jetblue a more pleasant and comfortable experience?
txpenny likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by dickinson
Agreed. Also from AA perspective, why provide a lounge to make flying other airlines such as Southwest or Jetblue a more pleasant and comfortable experience?
You, sir or madam, have the makings of a future airline executive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.