Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AC's have their greatest value for those with lengthy connections at hubs. For most business travelers, the goal is to spend the least amount of time at airports as possible, so just going to hang out early in an AC doesn't make sense.

Goes without saying that the same isn't true for those on tickets and from locations with access to FFL and FFD. A whole tier of passengers people aren't even thinking about here.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fordan
I'd been torn earlier this year about whether to renew my Admirals Club or pick up a Platinum Amex for the Centurion Lounge; almost certainly not renewing next year now (mostly due to the ticket requirement). I do wonder what this will do to Centurion Lounge crowding in DFW/MIA/PHL if people drop the airline clubs for one that doesn't require a specific airline (or costs less for that matter)
Remember AMEX Platinum also gives you Priority Pass...

As many Flying Business or First on AA will continue to have access, not to mention AA Platinum or above, when qualifying flight requirements are met, I’m not so sure there will be a significant effect. Not to mention Centurion clubs can be zoos already.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by JDiver
LOL! Good luck with that, as it’s clearly specified it’s against CofCs. (I’ll bet they’ll be looking for those after November 1 2019.)
I only flew another carrier once in 2017/2018. That's not abuse if I do it occasionally. Maybe I got a tummy ache. Maybe I changed my mind and went home.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by allthem
Has anyone requested a refund for this yet? I just purchased an AC membership less than a month ago, and this change makes it far less useful to me. At this point I'd rather just cancel it.
The line forms behind the members who made Gold and had their MCE discount at booking taken away from them midway through the year.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by genotonda
In the fine print, in regard to same day flight (or flight the next day before 6am), it says, "non-revenue passengers aren't eligible."
... thus raising the question of whether AA considers a mileage redemption ticket a revenue ticket. IMO it's a revenue ticket, just using a different form of currency.

Separately, this may be to be a good reason for people who fly domestic to post enough miles to QRPC (which I had stopped using) every year to maintain QRPC PLT (OW EMD), which provides AC access, no?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
United did this already several years ago. How many people in the grand scheme of things are going to be 1. flying a different airline than AA as a top tier flyer and more importantly 2. going to be anywhere remotely near an AC when flying another airline?

I think it's a great idea in crowd thinning.

I was just in the DCA lounge today when traveling on Jetblue ticket. So it does happen.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
They could curb the negatives to this by giving all of us two drink tickets! But they'd never make things better.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I guess I'm in the minority here. I'll gladly pay an additional $ 100 to have less crowded clubs.
No, you're just not in the same league as the professional whiners. The same day flight requirement makes the Clubs more "exclusive" and'll hopefully reduce the number of annoying and obnoxious phone talkers and lounge hogs (who will now need to actually exit in a reasonable amount of time to catch an AA flight). Great policy change IMO.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by perseus11
No, you're just not in the same league as the professional whiners. The same day flight requirement makes the Clubs more "exclusive" and'll hopefully reduce the number of annoying and obnoxious phone talkers and lounge hogs (who will now need to actually exit in a reasonable amount of time to catch an AA flight). Great policy change IMO.
How so?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I bet in 2020 they'll make it so you can't get into the lounge if you're ticketed in Basic Economy.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by allthem
Has anyone requested a refund for this yet? I just purchased an AC membership less than a month ago, and this change makes it far less useful to me. At this point I'd rather just cancel it.
Your membership expires before they impose the same day boarding pass rule and you've paid for it so the price increase is not affecting you so why would they? Don't renew in 2019.

I think this is a great change. You should be flying that day on AA not a competitor. It's AA's lounge not Southwest's etc.

Better yet is quit selling memberships and limit lounges to J and F passengers on qualifying flights.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
So if you're in the club waiting for an AA flight that goes mechanical, the AAngels will rebook you on UA or DL and then tell you that you have to leave the club immediately.
MorganB, GTITAN and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by perseus11
I fail to see how the "annoying and obnoxious phone talkers" are correlated people with AC memberships, but flying on another airline that given date.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
+1 for not renewing the Citi Exec card next year. AA clubs have been a great backup for airports where DL or Amex lack a lounge, but the AA/partner BP requirement is just stupid. I have very rarely encountered crowded ACs myself, but I'm sure they exist (LAX T4 comes to mind, but that was their own making). This whole copy and paste DL business that AA is in is just getting absurd. AA hire these MBAs looking to make a name for themselves at headquarters, probably claiming to have 'deeply researched' the impact, and provide a shiny powerpoint to management to backup their 'mounds' of data.

What they fail to realize is that DL is not remotely similar to AA in the premium credit card area. DL's clubs have been very overcrowded because of the non-exclusivity of the Amex Platinum card that caters to a MUCH broader audience than just DL flyers alone, and DL Diamond's all get SkyClub access free. So their restriction unfortunately makes sense in my mind. Citi caters primarily/solely to AA fliers with the Exec Card. What I don't get is why did they add this 'have up to 10 authorized users free' on the Exec card if there was such a bad overcrowding problem??? Simple solution: reduce or eliminate that 'benefit'.

Or another idea, do a hybrid of UA. Allow a member/cardholder with ANY airline's departing boarding pass to access that airport's AC, but only allow arriving same day passenger holding inbound AA boarding passes access. If they don't do something about this draconian boarding pass requirement, it becomes a real head-scratcher with regards to loyalty (other OW elites getting domestic access with OW boarding passes, but AA elites having to pay for 'membership' in advance that is useless without a OW boarding pass).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I got my email to remind me of my auto-renew yesterday and cancelled it (the auto-renew) and I don't think I will renew. When I fly international, I am virtually always in J or higher, as a MIA flyer, the AX lounge has MUCH better food (though is usually more crowded than the AC) - still, with free Priority Pass, AX lounges and OW on int flights - I found myself rarely using the ACs these days.
And just keeping membership so you can deal with interruptions easier sounds not worth it - guess I can buy a day pass to change my flight if really needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.