Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:48 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Does that mean same day departing boarding pass? I often use the AA club on arrival to grab a coffee and a snack (and sometimes even a shower) before leaving the airport. This would be a major devaluation in the value of club membership for me if so.
I do this frequently, as well, particularly if I'm heading straight from the airport to a dinner or to a meeting. I'll just grab a large snack and drink then get on my way. I don't see anything in their language that would suggest this won't be permissible after the change, so long as you've arrived on an AA flight.

I do not like that they buried this rather significant change to the membership program inside an email that has sustainability as a lead story. Glad they're doing what they need to help our planet. It does not soften my disappointment that they're stripping the membership down. Also of note: they've closed Hartford, Greensboro and Caracas (perhaps that was known to others here).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by dll; Oct 18, 2018 at 10:56 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:53 am

Member since 2004, rates effectively doubling for my FF spouse and I. My question is why would I pay $600 for the spouse she can join outright for less?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by enviroian
United did this already several years ago. How many people in the grand scheme of things are going to be 1. flying a different airline than AA as a top tier flyer and more importantly 2. going to be anywhere remotely near an AC when flying another airline?

I think it's a great idea in crowd thinning.
These two ideas seem in conflict. If there are so few people doing 1 and 2, then how does it help with crowd thinning?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Silver & AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & Hyatt Gold
United did this already several years ago. How many people in the grand scheme of things are going to be 1. flying a different airline than AA as a top tier flyer and more importantly 2. going to be anywhere remotely near an AC when flying another airline?

Happens more often than you might think. Perfect example.... I'm doing work on a contract now that client purchases Southwest tickets for my travel to BNA. I don't mind so much because it's a non-stop, flights aren't full and I'm one of the first 10 people boarding. If I arrive really early or am leaving back out... I can hang out in the Admirals Club on a PAID membership and am still flying at Exec Plat level each year on AA.

In this scenario -- tough luck sir go park you butt in Tootsies as we will not allow you to use the product you purchased. Serious devaluation in my opinion.
JDiver, SPN Lifer, Tanic and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: CK or bust
The message to me seems to be that stand-alone memberships aren't that important anymore. If they raised the price on the stand-along membership but also included dropped the same day boarding pass requirement I would take it that maybe the effort was to differentiate from the Citi card but in this case the rational behind reducing access via any access instrument whether that be Citi or stand-alone membership (the new same-day requirement) and pushing customers to Citi by increasing the stand-alone price but holding Citi's cost as the same isn't clear.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've flown on AA#65 N/S LAS-JFK departing around 11 PM, arriving in JFK at 6:30 AM; I'm an AC member via Citi Exec card. When I arrive in JFK it's convenient to stop into the AC to have breakfast and relax a bit--but will my flight (which DEPARTED the previous day) fall under same day bp rule and permit me to use AC?
In any event PLAT or higher on intl. flts can still get FL access (even without AC membership).^
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Silver & AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & Hyatt Gold
So when you fly UA you go out of your way to go to A terminal to the AC to grab a coffee rather than just go to B?
I wouldn't go out of my way to grab a coffee anywhere. But if I'm stuck with a 2 or 3 hour layover - why would I sit in a crowded VinoVolo, pay for Wifi, worry about gathering my stuff up just to go to the dirty bathroom, not have access to a business cubicle, pay for a newspaper, etc etc..... when I could take a 5 minute walk/train ride to a Club I pay 400-500 a year for?
TheDudeAbides and jhartvu like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA focus groups likely suggest that among HVC's this won't move the needle much, but will generate some revenue and reduce overcrowding at key locations. If those focus groups turn out to be wrong, AA can tweak the policy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Not surprisingly, Delta was the first to announce a similar policy restricting access:

"Effective January 1, 2019, Delta Sky Club members may only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines and will no longer have access to partner lounges." (link).

Of course, United will soon follow.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Snark much? Concourse A isn't out of the way; it's on the way. The bridge security is faster than the floor security. And if I'm there 90 minutes early, I certainly leverage my Admirals Club membership.
No snark intended. Personally I don't arrive at an airport 90 minutes early as it's wasted time so that's why I wouldn't stop at A first. To each their own.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ctstan
I wouldn't go out of my way to grab a coffee anywhere. But if I'm stuck with a 2 or 3 hour layover - why would I sit in a crowded VinoVolo, pay for Wifi, worry about gathering my stuff up just to go to the dirty bathroom, not have access to a business cubicle, pay for a newspaper, etc etc..... when I could take a 5 minute walk/train ride to a Club I pay 400-500 a year for?
You still read newspapers? How quaint! -- said one of my 20-something colleagues.

Seriously though, I totally agree. This is why we buy club memberships. Honestly, if DL hadn't already announced this, AA would not have dared do it.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Happens more than you think. I was doing some ATL trips last year on the government's dime. The flight carrier was DL and I had no say in the matter. The ticket was often one where I could not change to an earlier flight. So it was either hang out in the ATL terminal for 2.5 hours or cozy up in the A.C....
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ctstan
So what happens when you arrive from PHX to DCA on a red eye at 5:30 am. Can you not access the A.C.at DCA?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Serious devaluation of the AA membership value, I agree. However, getting club membership for $450/year is cheaper than the outright cash price.
true. i have the executive card and my gf is a authorized user with it for the lounge access (shes a jetblue flyer). hence the loss of value for me haha
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Well, time to cancel the AA Exec card then (which I was already close to doing since I am no longer flying AA exclusively). Woohoo for AA giving me more reasons to avoid spending money with them.

Since I am a free agent now, I fly what works best for me for each trip. Last summer I flew a trip via IAH on United and enjoyed being able to run over to terminal A and use the AC. In the future, I'll just grab a card with Priority Pass and fill in the gaps with day passes or airport bars.
Cannonball Run likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.