Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Since ex-CMB premium class fares are so low, I would never use miles on a return trip.
I am going all the way to Kansas City. I have over 400K AA miles I want to use up. Why would I pay fr a ticket when I can get it almost free?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by susiesan
I am going all the way to Kansas City. I have over 400K AA miles I want to use up. Why would I pay for a ticket when I can get it almost free?
I guess it all depends on how you value your miles, how many trips you plan on taking in a year, whether you are trying for status and/or whether you plan to use miles again. If you don't plan on using AA miles again, it makes sense. Although, I'm not sure what "going all the way to Kansas City" has to do with anything. I go "all the way to Denver" every trip home. We burn 2 million miles a year and have more than 4 million miles in different programs, but I always calculate the cost of each trip both in miles and revenue. We're using miles to go to CPT next week on miles but bought return EK First tickets ex-CPT since they were so inexpensive.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I am going all the way to Kansas City. I have over 400K AA miles I want to use up. Why would I pay fr a ticket when I can gehttp://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gift it almost free?
I agree as miles needed from CMB to MCI are exactly the SAME as from HKG to MCI - (and only very slightly more than TYO to MCI) - then why pay for CMB to HKG, no matter how inexpensive. Plus, it would probably be in Y whereas with award it is in J (and it would be on one PNR - thus easier for missed connections, etc).
FWIW, I find that JAL 2 from HND to SFO almost always shows 2F.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Paulchili
FWIW, I find that JAL 2 from HND to SFO almost always shows 2F.
Definitely. Inbound availability far exceeds outbound for some reason. Not just SFO either .
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
Definitely. Inbound availability far exceeds outbound for some reason. Not just SFO either .
Do you know why is this so?
F has a suite - does it not? I just wonder why this F award is available so readily vs others. Not complaining - just wondering.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:28 am

I guess it all depends on how you value your miles, how many trips you plan on taking in a year, whether you are trying for status and/or whether you plan to use miles again. If you don't plan on using AA miles again, it makes sense. Although, I'm not sure what "going all the way to Kansas City" has to do with anything. I go "all the way to Denver" every trip home. We burn 2 million miles a year and have more than 4 million miles in different programs, but I always calculate the cost of each trip both in miles and revenue. We're using miles to go to CPT next week on miles but bought return EK First tickets ex-CPT since they were so inexpensive.
I was curious and priced a one way CMB-MCI for Feb 26. 2016. In J on Qatar it would cost $1638. In J on CX it would cost $5429. In F it would cost $6788 on various *A carriers and in F on CX cost is $13,255.

I usually take 2 trips a year to far away destinations using miles to travel in at least business. I'm going to South Africa myself in a month on UA miles in J on SAA. It cost 160K miles each for those tickets.

I'm not trying for status, just wanting to have great vacations at little cost for airfare. After I burn through my and my husband's 500K AA miles I still have 450K *points that can be transferred in to AA. Then I'll start working down my 600K UR points. We are set for a few years of vacations.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was curious and priced a one way CMB-MCI for Feb 26. 2016. In J on Qatar it would cost $1638. In J on CX it would cost $5429. In F it would cost $6788 on various *A carriers and in F on CX cost is $13,255.
It is too early for deals that far out.
Three months out, I can find CMB-MCI for $1,433 round trip.

And you earn miles, lots of them...
Base mileage: 9,829 OW, 19,658 RT
AA EQPs: 14,744 OW - 29,488 RT
AA RDMs: 12,461 OW - 24,923 RT

As an AA Gold, you earn 25% bonus RDMs, so 31,154 for the RT (4.6 CPM).
Move up to PLT and you earn 100% bonus RDMs, so 49,847 for the RT (2.9 CPM).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:32 am

Wow, that is cheap.

I always plan my vacations 11 months in advance if using award tickets. I'm still going to try for the award seats to use up my AA miles before the merger and coming devaluation. If I cannot get the seats I want on the days of travel I may resort to buying one. There are dozens of routings to and from CMB on oneworld carriers so hopefully something will be available 11 months out.

Once I retire and can take a trip on short notice I will keep this in mind. Are these inexpensive premium tickets on Qatar only for Sri Lanka trips or do you find these low fares on all routes QR flies?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are these inexpensive premium tickets on Qatar only for Sri Lanka trips or do you find these low fares on all routes QR flies?
The current sale is on many QR routes. EY, EK and QR all offer varying degrees of premium class discounts on many ex-Africa/ISC routes.
South Africa is a seemingly perpetual discounted origin. Our CPT-DXB-JFK Emirates First tickets were only $2,900.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:57 am

It is too early for deals that far out.
Three months out, I can find CMB-MCI for $1,433 round trip.

And you earn miles, lots of them...
Base mileage: 9,829 OW, 19,658 RT
AA EQPs: 14,744 OW - 29,488 RT
AA RDMs: 12,461 OW - 24,923 RT

As an AA Gold, you earn 25% bonus RDMs, so 31,154 for the RT (4.6 CPM).
Move up to PLT and you earn 100% bonus RDMs, so 49,847 for the RT (2.9 CPM).
But is this fare so low only because it originates from CMB (much like EK fare out of CPT vs out of US). I too have purchased an EK F CPT-SFO for $3200 (the reverse would have been over $14,000!)
What would be the QR fare if the first leg of the RT was MCI - CMB (like the OP needs to have)?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What would be the QR fare if the first leg of the RT was MCI - CMB (like the OP needs to have)?
It would be crazy high. That's why I would use miles ex-NA and only consider purchasing ticket on the return where fares are a lot cheaper.
In our case, we used miles to CPT and bought tickets for the return.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:10 am

It would be crazy high. That's why I would use miles ex-NA and only consider purchasing ticket on the return where fares are a lot cheaper.
In our case, we used miles to CPT and bought tickets for the return.
I agree with that - that is what we did with CPT. If the OW from CMB to MCI is half of the RT, then I too would probably buy it and get the miles (esp. if I couldn't get an award). EK does not punish you for buying OW tickets.
However, it does depend on one's philosophy - collecting vs spending the miles (and saving money). I try to collect miles for "free" whenever I can (use of CCs, CC bonuses, etc) rather than by paying for F/J and getting miles that way.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:12 am

Nack to my original question about the JL routing CMB MCI versus the CX routing. Pros and cons? Anyone ever do a trip like this this? The one plus of the CX routing is only 3 flight segments; JL routing has 4.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:05 am

Nack to my original question about the JL routing CMB MCI versus the CX routing. Pros and cons? Anyone ever do a trip like this this? The one plus of the CX routing is only 3 flight segments; JL routing has 4.
A 49 min connection at DFW would be too short for my comfort.
Also, can you not fly NRT-ORD-MCI instead of NRT-LAX-DFW-MCI to eliminate one segment?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:11 pm

A 49 min connection at DFW would be too short for my comfort.
Also, can you not fly NRT-ORD-MCI instead of NRT-LAX-DFW-MCI to eliminate one segment?
If I miss the DFW-MCI flight there is another at 8:18pm.

JL 10, NRT-ORD leaves at 11:10 am. I have to find a flight from CMB to NRT that doesn't involve long layovers as the UL overnight non stop arrives NRT at 11:50am.

I can fly MH 184 CMB KUL 12:55pm-7:05p m, 3h45m layover
JL 724 KUL-NRT 10:50pm-6:40 am +1, 3h55m layover
JL 10 NRT-ORD 11:10am-7:55am, 2h25m layover
AA 4329 10:20am-11:55am
total travel time 33h50min

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.