Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by no1cub17
IAH too. I'm sure DL knows exactly what they're doing. Particularly at DFW, they're going to eat AA's lunch on routes like DFW-LGA. Does anyone know if DL's A220s come with ovens? That would be yet another feather in the cap for DL.

Maybe time to consider a status match while I still have AA status...
No way DL is going to eat AAs lunch on DFW-LGA with a puny little 220. No way they can match AAs capacity or frequency (or would want to) on that route. Theyd need both to even try to make a dent.

If anyone here thinks IFE screens are going to spell doom for AA and vault DL into eternal holy greatness they're delusional.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by gmt4

No way DL is going to eat AAs lunch on DFW-LGA with a puny little 220. No way they can match AAs capacity or frequency (or would want to) on that route. Theyd need both to even try to make a dent.

If anyone here thinks IFE screens are going to spell doom for AA and vault DL into eternal holy greatness they're delusional.
No one thinks IFE screens are the end-all-be-all, but they are one part of offering a travel experience that is generally more pleasant and customer-friendly. And obviously DL doesn't have to or want to match AA"s capacity or frequency on DFW-LGA. They have to do neither to be more profitable (or at least to be more profitable per seat).
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Its simple really. Its not that we info but the lease thru which you view it. AA is run by a former LCC CEO who views everything thru those lenses. He continues to behave in that manner.

I have said this for years: a zebra never changes their stripes. This applies in all of life. People dont change, this the businesses they run dont change. To change a business you must change the people.

AA will continue to mame the same decisions until different people are at the helm. Nothing should be a surprise to employees and customers alike.

Cheers,
TG
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:59 pm

Delta gets more per seat because it owns its markets and has no competition. In the markets they have to compete- nyc, Seattle, lax, they get the same as everybody else. They make outsize $$ in atl, dtw, msp. Thats what drives their premium.

QUOTE=dc9flyernwa;30310965]
Did a search and didnt find anything so apologies if this has been discussed. As AA continues to move on Project Oasis (only such a thing for their bean counters) and the recent financial issues vs Delta, it got me thinking. DL is putting IFE on their C Series/A220 at every seat and has gone back and added them to aircraft they modded to not put in IFE (A320s). Delta has also stated that in all of their research its one of the top items customers seem to still want (seatback IFE screens). Personally Im with that group, I dont want to use my personal device for movies etc. Im using it for work etc all while also watching a movie etc. The AA planes with seatback IFE are incredibly more enjoyable than the non-IFE planes (and the MIQ first class seat is terrible compared to the legacy AA first class seat). But with Delta able to demand higher dollar per dollar fare compared to AA and UA it seems to be that possibly IFE is a big part of that given Delta has pushed it so much. Seems like only Doug seems to think otherwise. Any thoughts?
[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Skymiles is an awful ffp, but I started flying DL again because they are better than AA and UA.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TXguy
No one thinks IFE screens are the end-all-be-all, but they are one part of offering a travel experience that is generally more pleasant and customer-friendly. And obviously DL doesn't have to or want to match AA"s capacity or frequency on DFW-LGA. They have to do neither to be more profitable (or at least to be more profitable per seat).
So- since you decided to respond to my post (which was a response to someone else) how will IFE screens make DL eat AAs lunch on that route? After all, that is what I was posting back to. Majority of People arent going to pay more for IFE on a less frequent route just because its DL. People choose based on price and schedule. Thats a fact. Profitability for DL is not my concern.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc
Delta gets more per seat because it owns its markets and has no competition. In the markets they have to compete- nyc, Seattle, lax, they get the same as everybody else. They make outsize $$ in atl, dtw, msp. Thats what drives their premium.
In NYC AA is doing as well as DL? Yeah right.

And you don't think AA owns DFW, CLT, PHX, PHL, etc.? Why would Delta be investing all this money in a superior passenger experience if it wasn't driving any revenue premium for them?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
So- since you decided to respond to my post (which was a response to someone else) how will IFE screens make DL eat AAs lunch on that route? After all, that is what I was posting back to. Majority of People arent going to pay more for IFE on a less frequent route just because its DL. People choose based on price and schedule. Thats a fact. Profitability for DL is not my concern.
I apologize for responding to your post that was a response to someone else.

I never said that IFE screens will make DL "eat AAs lunch" on any route. But my point is that DL can siphon away a little more revenue (and it already has from myself and others on the DFW-NYC route specifically!) by offering a superior experience. DL has a revenue premium over AA--they are doing something right.
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why does everyone have to have your preference? Why not just not use a service you don’t care about? Why would you want to take away options for other customers?
Well - it does cost money to carry all the IFE , so not just a service to simply provide or not provide - AA , it seems, is providing an alternative by offering wifi broadcast

If AA thinks that it will make more money by providing fixed IFE , I expect that it will change its mind and do so
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
IMO the IFE content (movies) has degraded over the last 6 months. Or whoever their deal with is just producing garbage. Personally I use the IFE in the background while working on my laptop. Seen everything I want to see, some of the stuff is just unwatchable, and I've tried.

People are so absolute. Consultants more likely to be working on laptops. that the have to have. Top Execs set up with nice tablets. Marketing and sales less work on the plane, happy to chat, sleep or whatever.

Fly on Monday morning and Thursday evening the demographic is different than Tues, Wed, Sat and Sun.

I'd take better internet over better IFE any day. If I'm not working I have plenty I can do via a good internet connection, as opposed to the gogo wait, wait, wait experience. At least viasat provides a usable speed although I have no idea which flight its going to show up on.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jasondc
There isn't enough O&D traffic in MSP (#16 in domestic O&D) and DTW (#20) to drive a meaningful revenue premium across a network the size of Delta's, 6,000 flights on a peak day. If it's not O&D, Delta is competing against other carriers' non-stops and connections with its own connections. Southwest is the number 2 carrier at ATL, and at DTW it's Spirit, both of which provide ample price competition.

The DOT publishes a quarterly Domestic Airline Fares Consumer Report. The latest showed ATL with a 9% premium; MSP, 8%, DTW, 10%. EWR had a 21% premium; ORD, 11%; IAH, 25%; IAD, 17%. So why can't UA make decent money?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Southwest is the number 2 carrier at ATL, and at DTW it's Spirit, both of which provide ample price competitiion
Clearly youve never bought a meaningful sample size of Non stop tickets ex-DTW on business routes Mondays to Thursdays,
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
My experience of wifi provided content on airlines is that it works well and I can watch it easily on my laptop if I want to ( even if it is just a moving map ) - pretty decent number of movies/tv shows etc can be provided

Seems a great option to me
Except when the person in front of you reclines, and then
you can't even open your laptop enough to view it. And if you're using a tablet, your neck has to crank down to even see it.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Im about to board a LAA 738 that has been through Oasis and not looking forward to staring down at my
phone for 4+ hours.

Project Oasis once fully rolled out might just be what sends me to Delta for good.

oh and of course were delayed due to maintenance 🙄
10 inch Amazon Fire was $100 during the Prime sale.. Very useful.............
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)

I am DFW-based and have switched to DL where it makes sense (including if I have to make a connection, as long as its logical). I really value IFE, but its much more about what the IFE represents than what it actually is. Its also about employee attitude. Its just so much nicer of an experience to fly DL now. Food in F may not be quite as substantial, but its much better quality, and I feel respected and valued rather than an inconvenience.
TXGuy, we're birds of a feather in terms of the IFE and what it represents. Even though I often fly premium cabins now I like that DL isn't going 10-across on their 777s, for example and will put my money where my mouth is. I won't connect in LAX to go to SFO, but I will connect in ATL to get to EWR or PHL instead of the nonstop.
TXguy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.