Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K

Did a search and didn’t find anything so apologies if this has been discussed. As AA continues to move on Project Oasis (only such a thing for their bean counters) and the recent financial issues vs Delta, it got me thinking. DL is putting IFE on their C Series/A220 at every seat and has gone back and added them to aircraft they modded to not put in IFE (A320’s). Delta has also stated that in all of their research its one of the top items customers seem to still want (seatback IFE screens). Personally I’m with that group, I don’t want to use my personal device for movies etc. I’m using it for work etc all while also watching a movie etc. The AA planes with seatback IFE are incredibly more enjoyable than the non-IFE planes (and the MIQ first class seat is terrible compared to the legacy AA first class seat). But with Delta able to demand higher dollar per dollar fare compared to AA and UA it seems to be that possibly IFE is a big part of that given Delta has pushed it so much. Seems like only Doug seems to think otherwise. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dc9flyernwa
Any thoughts?
AA will choose the opposite of all your hopes.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Did a search and didn’t find anything so apologies if this has been discussed. As AA continues to move on Project Oasis (only such a thing for their bean counters) and the recent financial issues vs Delta, it got me thinking. DL is putting IFE on their C Series/A220 at every seat and has gone back and added them to aircraft they modded to not put in IFE (A320’s). Delta has also stated that in all of their research its one of the top items customers seem to still want (seatback IFE screens). Personally I’m with that group, I don’t want to use my personal device for movies etc. I’m using it for work etc all while also watching a movie etc. The AA planes with seatback IFE are incredibly more enjoyable than the non-IFE planes (and the MIQ first class seat is terrible compared to the legacy AA first class seat). But with Delta able to demand higher dollar per dollar fare compared to AA and UA it seems to be that possibly IFE is a big part of that given Delta has pushed it so much. Seems like only Doug seems to think otherwise. Any thoughts?
I’m about to board a LAA 738 that has been through Oasis and not looking forward to staring down at my
phone for 4+ hours.

Project Oasis once fully rolled out might just be what sends me to Delta for good.

oh and of course we’re delayed due to maintenance 🙄
deeruck and GlobalMatt like this.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Oct 13, 2018 at 9:06 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
But with Delta able to demand higher dollar per dollar fare compared to AA and UA it seems to be that possibly IFE is a big part of that given Delta has pushed it so much. Seems like only Doug seems to think otherwise. Any thoughts?
I don't know how to reconcile AA's data with Delta's data on the willingness of passengers to pay for AVOD in the ticket price. I wouldn't assume that AVOD is the only - nor even primary - reason for Delta's fare premium, total passenger revenues divided by available seat miles.
jasondc and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Could well be that both are correct. DL and AA may have or want to have different markets.

It could well be that customers really do want IFE. But, perhaps they don't want to pay for it. That was certainly the case for domestic Y meals. Thus, customer satisfaction is not the be all and end all of the inquiry.

Ask the average traveler if they would like a fully-reclining seat with a nice hot meal and they will say "yes". Ask them if they will pay 300% of the current tab and they might just balk.
GTITAN, jspira and diver858 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:19 am

I’m based in Miami. I have an analyst who just flew DL and wants to shift our travel to DL from AA because of the difference in customer experience and IFE. She felt connecting was worth it via direct on AA. I haven’t flown DL or UA in 9yrs. Now I’m curious.
brc757rr likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Vote with your wallet by booking your future flights on Delta.

It is interesting to note Delta's initial A220 routes include flights to DFW. Could Delta win over loyal AA flyers with a better onboard product? Time will tell.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Austin787

It is interesting to note Delta's initial A220 routes include flights to DFW. Could Delta win over loyal AA flyers with a better onboard product? Time will tell.
yes they absolutely can and have already done so with NYC corporate contracts.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:39 am

I flew a 73MAX that is in the new configuration. No physical divider between first and coach. Felt odd. I was in F just in front of Y pax. Looks more like a Southwest plane now. My seat was fine. Would have preferred IFE, but I was working the whole flight. So only listened to music.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
AA how long to reverse IFE decision?

Not until a new CEO takes the helm.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787

IAH too. I'm sure DL knows exactly what they're doing. Particularly at DFW, they're going to eat AA's lunch on routes like DFW-LGA. Does anyone know if DL's A220s come with ovens? That would be yet another feather in the cap for DL.

Maybe time to consider a status match while I still have AA status...
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by no1cub17
IAH too. I'm sure DL knows exactly what they're doing. Particularly at DFW, they're going to eat AA's lunch on routes like DFW-LGA. Does anyone know if DL's A220s come with ovens? That would be yet another feather in the cap for DL.

Maybe time to consider a status match while I still have AA status...
They should have ovens.....A220 is a fully mainline plane in DLs eyes and staffed by mainline crew.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
AA how long to reverse IFE decision?

Not until a new CEO takes the helm.

EXACTLY THIS. Nothing is going to change until DP leaves. With shares recently hitting a 2 year low, perhaps there is some hope that this is coming sooner rather than later.

Man, I wish previous leadership would have made it through the bankruptcy. I've always thought AA would be a pretty damn good airline today under that leadership.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:23 am

My first job was at AA @ Amon Carter when Crandall was there. That guy was relentless. He knew exactly what business he was in. Focus on hubs, technology, business travelers, brand differentiation. Met a lot of impressive people there. Most have moved on. There was a reason AA avoided bankruptcy for so long. It wasn’t better planes or pilots. To bad the US and AW people took over.
JDiver, Daze, formeraa and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

I’m about to board a LAA 738 that has been through Oasis and not looking forward to staring down at my
phone for 4+ hours.

Project Oasis once fully rolled out might just be what sends me to Delta for good.

oh and of course we’re delayed due to maintenance ��
I was on a 4 hour flight last night. Most passengers were looking at entertainment on their laptops/tablets/phones. Why should AA install expensive IFE, which has to be maintained, when practically everyone has a personal device?

Frankly, I wish they would put the money toward running an on-time airline. I'm tired of most flights being late for some reason or other.
JoeWoodstock and phxbarcelona like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.