Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are extension cords banned by FAA? (& how secure connector to loose receptacle)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are extension cords banned by FAA? (& how secure connector to loose receptacle)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Often1
It's slightly more complicated than that, but the FA was largely correct.

Each carrier files its safety and security policy with FAA. Once accepted by FAA, the carrier's failure to enforce its policy becomes a violation.

It's up to AA to have such a rule, but once it does, it's effectively "the law". A pretty sensible one too.
The missing part of this logic is that AA needs to have this rule in their safety policy. Do you have a cite/link?

(looks like a duplicate request, but it appears many are now curious).
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
..It's up to AA to have such a rule, but once it does, it's effectively "the law". A pretty sensible one too.
Why would that be a sensible rule???

Did you have troubles with extension cables in the past?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I use this 6inch Extension Cord:
Amazon Amazon
- it’s much smaller than the apple cord and takes up very little bag space also the plug can rotate Which is nice for planes that have the plug in awkward places. Never once had an issue.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:29 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
AA policy is NO extension cords in airplane outlets and only a single device may be charged per outlet.
Then this explains something. On a recent flight, I had an "outlet cube" which transforms one outlet into three. They're literally a dollar a Walmart. It was using two plugs, to power both my notebook and my phone. FA says that only one device can be plugged in. So I left the notebook plugged in, then plugged the phone into the notebook's USB port. FA is now happy.

However, it actually uses either the SAME power, or perhaps MORE power (due to inefficiencies in converting the voltage) to charge the two devices that way.

I'm happy to have rules, but I'm much happier when the rules actually make a lick of sense.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I'm happy to have rules, but I'm much happier when the rules actually make a lick of sense.
One important aspect of rules is keeping them simple to understand and enforce. I suppose one could make a rule on this that incorporates all of the billions of combinations of electrical gadgets that could possibly be plugged into an airline outlet, describing which combinations are allowed and which are not, but obviously this wouldn't be feasible. In this context, keeping the rule to a straightforward "one device per outlet" actually makes perfect sense.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:47 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
yes, but gain extension cords ARE ALLOWED. This is nuts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.