Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reaccommodated different airline. What will be my EQM and EQD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP

At the risk of making a short story long and the need to vent, a little background.
Was scheduled to fly ANC-DFW-BOS 9/30 - 10/1. Flight was 2.5 hrs late arriving ANC.
(10 pm vs 730.) They actually did a good job turning it around. We were all boarded by 11 pm.
then the fun began.
First we had an issue with a bathroom. Now it's about 1130 and we push back.
During the push back we hear a loud bang with a jolt. Bottom line is the tow bar broke and we needed to get the front wheel area inspected.
it took an hour and a half for this.
Fast forward it's now about 100 am, the crew times out and they bring us back to the terminal for reboking.
A nightmare especially now it's about 2 am and ANC is not exactly DFW with extra planes, flights etc.

I was on a paid F ticket. I got rebooked on Alaska via PDX, so ANC-PDX-BOS. (Writing this from PDX during my 4 hr layover)
what should I expect to get for my EQD and EQM? With a paid F on AA EQM would be 2x.
I need all the miles and dollars I can get as the year is closing.
thx
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You can request ORC or Original Routing Credit through AAdvantage Customer Service.

This will give you the EQM and EQD as if you flew the AA flight.
JDiver, Spiff, MarkY123 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
You'll need to call AAdvantage Customer Service and request "Original Routing Credit" to get the EQMs from your ANC-DFW-BOS flight. There may be a short waiting period, but they will be backdated to the day of the flight in question.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please see FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd). In particular, please read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

When calling AA you should use the specific language “I was involuntarily rerouted” and would like to request “original routing credit”.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I never heard about original routing credit. Learn something new everyday. You guys are the best.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Thank you. I never heard about original routing credit. Learn something new everyday. You guys are the best.
Even better... you can actually "double dip" in these situations. In addition to getting your ORC from AA, if you have an AS Mileage Plan account, you should make sure you get credit for those flights also (assuming you were rebooked in a "paid First" fare class on AS, you'll also earn a 75% mileage bonus on the base miles, which does count toward elite status). I qualified for DL status early in the year for the first time after multiple IROPS in paid F AA and AS tickets required me to be rebooked on DL, and I was also able to get my ORC for the original flights.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metallo
Even better... you can actually "double dip" in these situations.

In addition to getting your ORC from AA, if you have an AS Mileage Plan account, you should make sure you get credit for those flights also (assuming you were rebooked in a "paid First" fare class on AS, you'll also earn a 75% mileage bonus on the base miles, which does count toward elite status)..
Or if not an AS ff member you can credit to an AS ff partner.
https://www.wheretocredit.com/alaska-airlines/f
Or join the AS ffp now
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have the AA Customer Service phone number.
All the numbers I have including the one on the back of my Platinum card (800 843 3000) take me to reservations .
The Customer Service number on AA's site 800 882 8880 also takes you to reservations
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:43 am

All the numbers I have including the one on the back of my Platinum card (800 843 3000) take me to reservations .
The Customer Service number on AA's site 800 882 8880 also takes you to reservations
AA: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...er-service.jsp

FlyerTalk: Contacting AAdvantage Customer Service (master thread)

Account service

Call or email AAdvantage® customer service for questions about your account or program benefits. (email link leads to eform)

Email AAdvantage® customer service

Within the U.S. and Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. (CT)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: CK or bust
If your phone number is saved in your profile and you have status, in my experience you are routed to your desk even if you call Customer Service however they can transfer you.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Or if not an AS ff member you can credit to an AS ff partner.
https://www.wheretocredit.com/alaska-airlines/f
Or join the AS ffp now
As an EXP he should join and ask for a status match. Then he can get free confirmed at booking upgrades, if available. I matched AA PLT to MVP Gold and got 4 upgrades we used for DFW-SEA and back.
Very useful in getting first and paying for econom.
I then got a comp upgrade from DAL-LAX on a Virgin plane on the Friday of Labor Day weekend.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thank you to all. Maybe I just got lucky with the agent but she was very pleasant and posted my original routing mileage no problem.
She said as long as it wasn't weather related (it wasn't) she could do the ORC.
Thx again
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:14 am

Just wanted to say thank you to all. Maybe I just got lucky with the agent but she was very pleasant and posted my original routing mileage no problem.
Thx again
Thanks for reporting back.

Your agent was just following usual policy, AFAIK. I’m not sure she stated the issue correctly. I’m fairly sure I’ve received ORC when weather-caused IROPS forced involuntary changes to my itinerary.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thx again
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for reporting back.

Your agent was just following usual policy, AFAIK. I’m not sure she stated the issue correctly. I’m fairly sure I’ve received ORC when weather-caused IROPS forced involuntary changes to my itinerary.
There are definitely some issues with ORC that can be handled with the HUCA method. Different agents will provide different answers. It's almost always worth trying another agent or two if you feel you're not getting the answer you were expecting.

Another issue that has been posted previously is requesting ORC for Y-UP tickets. For example, for tickets booked in 'I' or 'D' that are technically Y-UPs, it has been mentioned here that certain agents will try to post these with 1.0x EQMs, while they originally would have received 2.0x EQMs. From the reports here, HUCA is generally all it takes to resolve this particular issue.

It's unfortunate that there is so much variability in AA phone agents these days with regard to what they are able (or willing) to do. It's also hard to know exactly what the current policies are. There have been numerous changes to AAdvantage over the years, but particularly recently. I generally consider myself to have quite solid knowledge of the program and rules, but sometimes when I call in about things these days, I wonder whether I'm the one who may not know the latest rules (e.g. SDFC, IROPS reacommodation, etc.), which are generally not published to members.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Glad you got this fixed on the first call and with no guff. I have had that same experience but I have also had them try to reject the request if it was due to weather (being persistent usually works) and even in mechanical situations ("you don't earn American miles because you could earn Delta miles"). I also had to argue for full first class credit after being downgraded to Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.