Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS “IRROPS” - Earning when re-ticketed through NON-ONEWORLD carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)

Hello All-

Had a pretty interesting situation happen to me this past weekend. Booked on an AA-marketed two segment flight DEL-HKG-LAX. DEL-HKG segment operated by CX (in Y), LAX-HKG operated by AA (+upgraded Y>J via systemwide).

After three hours on the tarmac due to a mechanical issue, DEL-HKG was canceled with earliest next flight out an entire 24hrs later. Cathay was able to re-ticket me sooner on China Southern (SkyTeam) DEL-CAN (in Y) and CAN-LAX (in full paid J).

I’m wondering if and how my mileage will accrue for this trip. Since AA doesn’t automatically receive CX flight cancelation updates, my AA itinerary was auto-canceled once I “missed” my AA HKG-LAX leg. My new ticket numbers started with 160, so this was somehow Cathay ticket stock on non-oneworld China Southern. I didn’t even think that was possible.

I’ll surely have to call in once the AAdvantage desk opens Monday, but I’m wondering how the accruals will work:
-Accrued per the CX partner table in full Y and full J?
-Accrued per my originally booked AA-marketed full Y and full PEY?
-Not Accrued at all all as a China southern operated flight?

Hoping for the first option, but can see the second happening, or even (but hopefully not) the third!

Anyone been in this scenario before?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting situation.
And even if ORC is successful you a be able to retro credit to a Skyteam ffp

https://www.wheretocredit.com/china-southern-airlines/j
https://www.wheretocredit.com/china-southern-airlines/y (your flight may not have been Y fare booking class)
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
I had AA put me on lufthansa once and delta once and for both times i was given ORC and able to credit to skyteam for delta and star alliance for lufthansa.
sam2k2002 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I think You should be able to request ORC, you are not entitled to the J mileage accrual (your option 1) but option 2 is what you should ask for. And as mentioned if you have a ST account grab those miles too
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by sam2k2002
Anyone been in this scenario before?
It's more common than you might expect. Call AAdvantage Customer Service at 800-882-8880 (not AA, not the EXP line, call 882-8880), go through the voice prompts (let them run all the way) and say "speak to an AAdvantage Customer Service representative" (avoid getting routed back to AA as opposed to AAdvantage). You'll likely get someone friendly who will process your request for "original routing credit," which should be based on your original ticket. You are asking to get the credit you would have gotten if you had flown your original routing. Your China Southern flights have nothing to do with anything.
enpremiere and JDiver like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
You'll be able to double dip the miles in this case. Put your DL number into the Skyteam flights.
sam2k2002 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You get both AA + operating carrier miles. The only thing you don't get is J credit as credit is based on the fare you paid, not the fare basis in which you are ticketed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.