Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Delayed Flight Causing Misconnect - AA Says Can't Re-Ticket On Other Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lots

Hey All -

I have a flight tonight SEA-LAX-SAN where SEA-LAX inbound is delayed which will cause a misconnect (although the connection is still showing ok. SEA-LAX is supposed to take off at 1815 but the inbound wont land until 1805 so that will not actually happen).

Just called EXP desk asking to be switched to AS nonstop and was told they cant use a different carrier because they delay was caused by ATC delaying the inbound. She said if it was mechanical or weather it wouldn't be a problem.

First Ive heard of that and sounds odd... anyone know the official rules? If that is true, will the situation change at all once the SEA-LAX flight departure time is updated and the misconnect becomes more obvious?

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Sounds like BS to me...I'd hang up and call again
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:08 pm

That execution of transporting connecting passengers between the terminals, especially the domestic(express flights) one, is terrible. Even a slight delay of the flights is enough to cause mis-connection. However, not sure if that's all BS, because weather and ATC delay usually do not allow rebooking to another carrier. However, IRROPs procedures did mention it is by the discretion of the agents whether rebooking can be done to endorse the ticket to another carrier. If connection shows ok at the screen, the agent for sure won't budge. Your best bet is to ask agents at SEA to see if there is something they can do.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
That execution of transporting connecting passengers between the terminals, especially the domestic(express flights) one, is terrible. Even a slight delay of the flights is enough to cause mis-connection. However, not sure if that's all BS, because weather and ATC delay usually do not allow rebooking to another carrier. However, IRROPs procedures did mention it is by the discretion of the agents whether rebooking can be done to endorse the ticket to another carrier. If connection shows ok at the screen, the agent for sure won't budge. Your best bet is to ask agents at SEA to see if there is something they can do.
Interesting to know that it is official, thanks for the info! I did talk to the GA and although she tried to convince me twice that 19 minutes (the new estimated arrival time of the inbound) was plenty of time to taxi to the gate, disembark, board, taxi, and take off for an E175 I kept telling her I was worried about my connection and she switched me to AS "if you really want". Seems more of an effort than it should have been but I will get home tonight!

FYI for anyone flying from SEA. Runway construction or whatever they're doing is supposed to last for 90 days starting this past week which has already caused me 60-90 minute delays three times. Add some extra time if travelling through or connecting after SEA.

What are the chances I can get ORC or is this going to be flagged as a voluntary change?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD
Interesting to know that it is official, thanks for the info! I did talk to the GA and although she tried to convince me twice that 19 minutes (the new estimated arrival time of the inbound) was plenty of time to taxi to the gate, disembark, board, taxi, and take off for an E175 I kept telling her I was worried about my connection and she switched me to AS "if you really want". Seems more of an effort than it should have been but I will get home tonight!

FYI for anyone flying from SEA. Runway construction or whatever they're doing is supposed to last for 90 days starting this past week which has already caused me 60-90 minute delays three times. Add some extra time if travelling through or connecting after SEA.

What are the chances I can get ORC or is this going to be flagged as a voluntary change?
It's possible the agent would mark it as voluntary so you are out of luck, but if you mention you would be mis-connected then usually it's involuntary. The flight receipt printed by the FA should tell you exactly what that would be.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
It's possible the agent would mark it as voluntary so you are out of luck, but if you mention you would be mis-connected then usually it's involuntary. The flight receipt printed by the FA should tell you exactly what that would be.
Thanks so much! You've been incredibly helpful and knowledgable. The receipt says INVOL so guessing I have a claim for ORC. They actually did turn the plane around in 35 minutes and if there's no delay in getting to the Eagle's Nest at LAX i would have made it (currently estimated to be about a 27 minute connection) but wasn't worth the risk. Ive had a few too many flights where I watch the LAX-SAN flight leave from the window while waiting for an open gate.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:06 pm

I assume you are referring to AA 6054. It's estimated to arrive the Eagle's Nest 52D at 9:06pm.
AA 6043 is also departing from the Eagle's Nest 52A at 9:45pm
You probably would have made it but good for you to avoid the stress and possible hassle of a misconnect.
Well done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.