Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JFK-LHR AA777 or BOS-LHR BA777 (in economy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent

Coach class, need to get to London. This would be the morning flight - either the 10:40 AM flight from JFK on an AA 777 or the 7:15am flight from Boston on a BA 777. Normally the BA flight has the wider seats (9 across vs. 10). However, this will be a Saturday Morning flight late Sept. My suspicion is that the AA flight would be less crowded than the BA flight, meaning there might be more likelihood of having an empty seat available next to you. Of course this is all a gamble. So how would you play this? Guarantee the wider BA seat but with less chance of am empty seat next to you, or risk the narrower AA seat and hope you can find something with an empty seat?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
How early did you want to wake up on Saturday morning?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
There's no certainty around crowdedness or otherwise so just pick the one that meets your needs best
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
AA142 is still using the 45J non-PE 772s. 9-across in the front section of economy. And also in my experience less crowded than BA178. Sorry don't know about BA BOS/LHR crowdedness.

Also AA142 is late enough to be a lunch flight rather than breakfast. Which is a plus for me, at any rate.

Hopefully as a gold you'd get something reasonable in that section of the plane.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Most days from JFK there is an early BA flight and this later morning AA flight. I prefer the latter due to wifi on AA and the later arrival time, I go right to bed upon arrival and the next day wake up at 7 am with little/no jet lag.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by tjcxx
AA142 is still using the 45J non-PE 772s. 9-across in the front section of economy. And also in my experience less crowded than BA178. Sorry don't know about BA BOS/LHR crowdedness.

Also AA142 is late enough to be a lunch flight rather than breakfast. Which is a plus for me, at any rate.

Hopefully as a gold you'd get something reasonable in that section of the plane.
That might be the better option. I wonder if it would be worth it just purchasing two economy tickets. I check premium economy, I can get economy over and PE back for the same that I could just purchase toe economy tickets. Of course I wouldn't earn miles on those, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.