Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Nut Allergy suffers can NOT board early (draft policy leaked but not in place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

https://thepointsguy.com/news/passen...on-aa-flights/

This is a nice gesture, but what would be great is if FA's knew what was in the meals and offer alternatives on the spot. Example on our April flight from DFW-NRT seated in PE, My girlfriend was asked, Chicken or pasta... She chose chicken. She was served chicken w pesto. She told the FA she had a nut allergy, handed back the meal and would need an alternative meal, the FA said "what am I supposed to do with this now, I can't serve it. And you'll have to wait until i'm done serving everyone else." Well, she never returned and my gf asked another FA for another meal we were told the flight was full and there was no alternative meals. Would she like the snack pack? My gf is very very non-confrontational and declined. (NOTE: we were flying D3 and did not make a fuss as we know we were guests and lucky to be on board and on our way to Tokyo - on time)

My point is this, while the early boarding is nice, it really doesn't solve the main problem of nuts and nut products being served on board. And if they are on board, please know which seats have the allergy. Delta does this without issue. We simply note the allergy on our reservation and the FA hands us a separate food item.

Flying to LHR for Christmas in PE (paying customer this time) and am glad we get to pre-order our meals to avoid a similar issue.

Why not be able to alert FA's of a nut allergy? 1) they can avoid giving you foods with nuts and 2) they know who might have an issue and have a conversation as to where they keep their Epi pen.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
And how does this get validated or enforced?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Rangerrk
https://thepointsguy.com/news/passen...on-aa-flights/

This is a nice gesture, but what would be great is if FA's knew what was in the meals and offer alternatives on the spot. Example on our April flight from DFW-NRT seated in PE, My girlfriend was asked, Chicken or pasta... She chose chicken. She was served chicken w pesto. She told the FA she had a nut allergy, handed back the meal and would need an alternative meal, the FA said "what am I supposed to do with this now, I can't serve it. And you'll have to wait until i'm done serving everyone else."

Why not be able to alert FA's of a nut allergy? 1) they can avoid giving you foods with nuts and 2) they know who might have an issue and have a conversation as to where they keep their Epi pen.
Why wouldn't your girlfriend ask whether the offered choices had nuts? Why wouldn't anyone with an allergy offer that information before choosing an item? Why wouldn't someone with such a severe allergy as to require the epi pen, etc., not take the precautions?

Things I will never understand.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

2 reasons, 1) its usually not a big deal even if something does have nuts. She didn't make a deal out of it and would have happily accepted the alternative. 2) she's not at fault. Simply returning it and asking for the other option should have been an easy fix.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:42 pm

2 reasons, 1) its usually not a big deal even if something does have nuts. She didn't make a deal out of it and would have happily accepted the alternative. 2) she's not at fault. Simply returning it and asking for the other option should have been an easy fix.
No it is not an easy fix. You cannot return food once it has been served to you---it has to be thrown away, as you were told.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
1) If it’s not a big deal even when something has nuts, why didn’t she eat what she ordered?

2) if someone has an allergy or other dietary restrictions, then they should ask for details when offered “chicken or pasta” explaining their concern. Yes, it’s a big deal to ask for replacement meal after service has begun. As you learned on a full flight there are not sufficient meals catered for everyone to have both meals and unfortunately on your flight the non- chicken meal was “sold out” by the time your GF raised a concern. If noted earlier the crew would have a chance to swap out choices even if she was the last person to order. This would have provided her with options beyond a snack box.

Those with severe allergies need to take personal responsibility and not presume the plane can pull over mid flight to re-stock meals when they decide to return what they ordered. If she had asked, been advised of the nuts, ordered the alternative and still been served the chicken pesto, then yes at that point I would agree she was not at fault.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
No it is not an easy fix. You cannot return food once it has been served to you---it has to be thrown away, as you were told.
It could have done a lap through the galley. That always seems to take care of any food contamination concerns when it's the FA at fault for handing over an incorrect meal.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Note the update:

UPDATE: An American Airlines spokesperson reached out to TPG at 5:30 pm ET regarding the leaked policy referenced below, saying, “A proposed draft policy, which would permit customers with nut allergies to pre-board flights to wipe down surfaces, was shared prematurely with American’s flight attendant workgroup earlier this week. There are no changes to our policy at this time and the draft policy was not shared with customers. As is always the case, before we make policy decisions, we consult with various workgroups throughout the company. That process is still ongoing.”

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 5, 2018 at 6:32 pm Reason: Add building for emphasis
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I sympathize with those who have this very serious allergy. I’m cincerned this policy would be ripe for abuse.
trooper and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
When flying Non-Rev (D3) she is lucky she even got a choice. Not trying to be snarky, that's just how it is unfortunately. I fly Non-Rev and have had only one meal choice left often times. (it's better than nothing). If you would have been on revenue tickets, the scenario may have been different.
wrp96, nancypants and enviroian like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MCI777
When flying Non-Rev (D3) she is lucky she even got a choice. Not trying to be snarky, that's just how it is unfortunately. I fly Non-Rev and have had only one meal choice left often times. (it's better than nothing). If you would have been on revenue tickets, the scenario may have been different.
Well, if you have a nut allergy severe enough to require an epipen, one meal choice which contains nuts is precisely the same as nothing in practice. But of course, when flying non-rev especially with a nut allergy, one should be prepared to make do with nothing (as it seems the traveler was).
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Just curious if the OP's friend with nut allergy is more diligent when ordering at a restaurant....such carelessness on the traveler's part begs me to ask if the "nut allergy' was more a dietary preference. A prudent person with food allergies would ask the right questions and not potentially subject the entire flight to a medical diversion.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Just curious if the OP's friend with nut allergy is more diligent when ordering at a restaurant....such carelessness on the traveler's part begs me to ask if the "nut allergy' was more a dietary preference. A prudent person with food allergies would ask the right questions and not potentially subject the entire flight to a medical diversion.
It's more noticeable in the food industry as people try and play a fad. IE gluten, allergen etc. I've seen it all to often, say they are allergic to something and moments later, catch them eating something off of another plate that contains the very same allergen they just had just requested to be removed from their plate.
AeRoSpaceman and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by sundrop
It's more noticeable in the food industry as people try and play a fad. IE gluten, allergen etc. I've seen it all to often, say they are allergic to something and moments later, catch them eating something off of another plate that contains the very same allergen they just had just requested to be removed from their plate.
Nothing against the folks that have a condition but all of a sudden it seems like everyone is gluten free or lactose intolerant. Should have bought stock in the Almond milk craze going on.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Why wouldn't your girlfriend ask whether the offered choices had nuts? Why wouldn't anyone with an allergy offer that information before choosing an item? Why wouldn't someone with such a severe allergy as to require the epi pen, etc., not take the precautions?

Things I will never understand.
totally agree and the OP posting that asking isn’t their problem is bull. Someone with life threatenng nut allergies either shouldn’t be flying in public sardine cans or should be EXTREMELY proactive about what they eat.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.