Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Nut Allergy suffers can NOT board early (draft policy leaked but not in place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nut Allergy suffers can NOT board early (draft policy leaked but not in place)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Why can't it be labeled, at least if it contains certain common allergens? (Though I find "may have been produced in a facility...." to be unhelpful). Most consumer packaged goods have labels. In a restaurant you CAN expect the server to either know or be able to ask the kitchen. Why are FA's/the airline exempt from what I would call common sense and courtesy?
This would be easy and useful. Little color coded stickers or something. The trace nuts issue is one thing (its a standard legal boilerplate statement. Just like Prop 65 in California, when EVERYTHING is known to cause cancer, its a worthless warning).

Still, the onus of not being served nuts is on the OP not the FAs. As a vegetarian, I ask specifically what is in the meal (at a high level, not whether it has broth that may be meat etc.) so I can decide which one. But again, thats my issue and therefore the burden of effort is mine.
ijgordon and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by fotographer
While I myself understand that those with nut allergies can face unwanted reactions to being around nuts,
I do ask, did we hear about this lets say 40 years ago?
Peanut allergies increased in the US when it became a fad for pregnant and lactating women to avoid peanuts. Without exposure to peanut proteins via maternal bloodstream or milk, the later exposure in childhood often results in an allergic reaction. So instead of protecting your child from developing an allergy you actually increase their chances.
fotographer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I always pack a snack of two for flights over five hours. I have some food sensitivities with dairy and getting sick on a flight, even if it’s just a mild digestive problem, is very unpleasant. The flight attendants are usually very accommodating about identifying whether the food contains dairy products. Only once have I been shut down from selecting one of the standard meals. I usually try to order a special meal but it doesn’t always work out.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I'm sorry, but the FAs can't even remember that MCE seats get free drinks (on a plane they're serving drinks on all day, after 3 months of practice)... and now we are expecting them to be able to avoid giving you food with nuts?

That *IS* nuts
Exactly. Some FAs can't seem to do the most simple tasks. Airline food is not good for you, period. Over the years I've seen seatmate after seatmate not take the meal deal telling me their doctor said airline food is a big no,no. Again if I had health issues I wouldn't be putting my health on the line by a FA that can't remember the seats with the blue coded seat numbers get alcoholic drinks for free.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by ashill
Note the update:
Well, it's been shared with customers now.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Danwriter
Well, it's been shared with customers now.
Yeah, but seriously, it is not needed, like those wheelchairs some people take before boarding that aren't needed when they get off the plane.
This seems to happen more on WN... I just don't get it. There is absolutely no evidence required before you are permitted to preboard if "you need a little extra time"
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Have to believe that if they adopt a pre-board format allergies policy AA needs to have GAs more strictly enforce who tags along. We already have issues with an entire part of nine wants to pre-board together because one person has a legitimate need. If pre- board eligible then one companion only.

If someone needs to pre-board to wipe down for a child’s nut allergies then no, both parents and the three other kids, aunts, uncles and grandparents don’t need to go also. Can you imagine pre-boarding into / out of MCO? LOL... CK will be the last to board!

Only one person needed to wipe down a seat, install an infant car seat, accompany a pax in a wheelchair. Stop the madness! The entire family doesn’t need to pre-board together anymore than the entire family must sit together. #OnePlusOne
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:42 am

The entire pre-board drill on all carriers (not just AA) has become absurd. What started out as an act of "courtesy" has become an avenue for abuse and scamming. As others have noted, entire extended families and friends are now following the "extra time" pax onto the plane with no effort at control by the GAs.
Silver Fox and fotographer like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
The entire pre-board drill on all carriers (not just AA) has become absurd. What started out as an act of "courtesy" has become an avenue for abuse and scamming. As others have noted, entire extended families and friends are now following the "extra time" pax onto the plane with no effort at control by the GAs.
I have seen this happen, they need extra time when boarding, but after landing they are just fine
As I have stated before, I see this quite a bit at BOM. it seems that almost all the passengers for the flight need extra time to board
unfortunately, the GA are too busy trying to get the plane boarded, so they just let it go.

Does it bother me, no, not really, I just sit back and watch the soap opera of boarding
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
As a Vegetarian I ALWAYS ask if an item is vegetarian. I can't imagine having an actual allergy and not 100% of the time inquiring.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:38 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Segments
Only one person needed to wipe down a seat, install an infant car seat, accompany a pax in a wheelchair. Stop the madness! The entire family doesn’t need to pre-board together anymore than the entire family must sit together. #OnePlusOne
Well, then they will claim they all have peanut allergies.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:39 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Sadly, the person "needing" extra time will say they need help with carryon's so no real way to stop this....
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
At the risk of getting off topic, the airlines have brought this on themselves by charging bag fees and turning overhead bin space into a tight commodity.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Well, then they will claim they all have peanut allergies.
Require a doctor note that allergy is severe enough to need wipe down, and that patient has been prescribed epipen. Not that severe? No need to pre board as allergy doesn’t reach the level of disability the airline needs to reasonably accommodate.

Put out the note in file along with the emotional support animal paperwork. New doctor note needed for medical clearance to fly without epipen or ESA. At the cost of epipens these days it’s cheaper to buy MCE than to fake a severe allergy.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like this idea - must have (unexpired) EpiPen to preboard due to allergies.

But by by the way, shouldn’t it just be the caretaker/parent that preboards? The whole idea is to clean the area *before* the allergic passenger gets to the seat, no???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.