Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLT - MAA question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
CLT - MAA question

Hello -
So needing to book CLT-MAA for next month. Exact dates aren't known yet. My question....
My goal is booking on AA so I can request a miles + fee upgrade ($300 + 25K miles). I understand this needs to be AA metal.
Problem is when looking at CLT-LHR on AA, and then LHR-MAA on BA, the ticketed as AA tickets price out @ $7500, while same ticket, ticketed as BA codeshared flight #s , is $3900 (roughly). I realize, I'd only be able to upgrade the CLT-LHR portion, too.

I know I can not upgrade an AA coded BA flight, as it's not "AA metal", but I am unsure about the ability to upgrade a BA coded AA metal flight, using Aadmantage Miles?

Is this possible? (I think I know the answer, but hoping I am wrong). Also any other options to upgrade using AA miles on One-world to MAA?
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Are you talking about coach to business? Those prices seem insane for coach, I plugged in random dates next month (even with the nonstops via LHR) and got $1100ish roundtrip: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...81*.USD.112481

edit - I realized you might be buying a one-way (you said "exact dates" so I thought roundtrip at first but you also just said CLT-MAA so perhaps it's a one-way and that's why it's so expensive). in any event, looks like this $3900 fare (which looks to be available for a one-way or for a roundtrip that doesn't have a Saturday night stay, for example) is a "B" fare on British Airways, so that would actually qualify as the sort of economy fare that you can upgrade with AA miles, to premium economy only, for 15k miles per segment. The catch is that booking the BA flights means that your AA-operated CLT-LHR leg(s) would not be upgradeable unless you got lucky at the airport, see, e.g., here: Are there any tricks? [to upgrading AA operated BA codeshare]

so -- book the BA flights and you can upgrade LHR-MAA, probably, to premium economy for 15k AA but not the AA flight; book the AA flights and you can upgrade CLT-LHR but not LHR-MAA.

personally I'd just buy a roundtrip in business for ~$4500 instead! (https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...31*.USD.459281)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.