Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

767-300 / 763 [opinions and general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

767-300 / 763 [opinions and general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I just can't believe how many times AA had to actually make this plane a nice ride........there was a point after 9/11 (entertainment boxes installed only to have no in-seat IFE), then NGBC, and then again when they put the lie flat seats in. It's not all LUS to blame as LAA was the one who didn't do the proper refit when the lie flats went in. Heck.....even the 75L's got in-seat IFE in J with NGBC (now to be ripped out by LUS management).

Everything with AA these days is the worst of both airlines combined.
I agree LAA management dropped the ball in PTVs when installing NGBC, but they weren't responsible for the PTV-less seats when the lie flats were installed starting in 2014, after LUS management took over. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to not put PTVs on future 787 deliveries.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by superweak
I'm hardly a fan of the 763 in the back (will avoid as necessary) but sometimes I wonder how anyone managed to travel across the Atlantic circa 2005 without committing suicide.
I know. It's like the whining people were doing last decade when 757s (single aisle aircraft) started being flown TATL in large numbers. How on earth did passengers on a 707 or DC-8 survive the horror?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Austin787
I agree LAA management dropped the ball in PTVs when installing NGBC, but they weren't responsible for the PTV-less seats when the lie flats were installed starting in 2014, after LUS management took over. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to not put PTVs on future 787 deliveries.
PMAA management never had the intention of installing PTVs on the 763s. IIRC, the excuse they were giving was the situation of the electrical wiring on the aircraft. And the cost to upgrade it in order to install PTVs.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Marriott Ambassador
I just flew 9 hours MVD-MIA on the 763 in J. My only real complaint was the tablets for entertainment. It's cumbersome and makes it a bit harder to get up, with the wires everywhere and additional trey down. Half way through the flight I realized I could also use my own iPad with the plane's wifi. Oddly, the movie selection is substantially larger that way. The flat bed was plenty comfy. Yeah, the 763 is old, but I was glad to have it for the long haul and not have to make a connection.
ijgordon and econometrics like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Shhh!!!! Don't give them any ideas.
(The 767 is actually 2-3-2 in coach, which is even better -- only 15% middle seats, vs. 25% on the A330 and 33% on 757/777/787.)
Ahh yes, my mistake.

One caveat of the benefits of the layout with AA is that if you don't have status, AA gives you complete crap options for seats (without paying extra for 'preferred' seats). I took the AA 44/45 roundtrip JFK-CDG in a 763 last June and remember thinking that without status (or without coughing up quite a bit for at least 1 'preferred' aisle seat) we would have been stuck with 2 of three middle seats for the wife and I. Even when we booked several months early and nearly the entire plane was empty of seat assignments, the only two seats together without paying for or having access to the 'preferred' seats were in the middle 3, last 10 rows or so -- seems cruel when buying a non-BE ticket to give non-statused passengers so few seat options.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, AA is notoriously stingy with offering free (decent) seat assignments. Often it's only middle seats available. It gets them close, but not all the way, to BA, where you have to pay for *any* seat assignment (well, except first class) without status (and you need Platinum; Gold you still have to wait until T-7d).
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
If you have to fly in Y on this plane, 12A was pretty comfortable for me MIA-JFK recently.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
PMAA management never had the intention of installing PTVs on the 763s. IIRC, the excuse they were giving was the situation of the electrical wiring on the aircraft. And the cost to upgrade it in order to install PTVs.
It would be very interesting to understand the technical details of the wiring of AA 767-300ERs (delivered 1993-2003) and those 58 presently in service with Delta delivered 1990-2001. I suspect that AA's rationale was more 'We don't think coach customers are worth it.'

Every U.S. booking engine I can think of cites aircraft type. Book away if you can't deal with it. If that means moving away from AA to carrier XX, that's the market feedback AA needs.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:48 am

Does row 2 have a full size foot well since it's in the bulkhead or is it the same as other rows?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HughMann
Does row 2 have a full size foot well since it's in the bulkhead or is it the same as other rows?
It has a substantially larger footwell than the other rows and has therefore become my preferred row on this aircraft.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by econometrics
The 763 and PHL deserve one another. It's a very fitting marriage.
Plus, there's always the experience of arriving at PHL and deplaning via a mobile lounge at the remote stand. LIS-PHL is one of the prime candidates for this "enhancement".
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I was under the impression that the 767, when flying domestic, the tablets are not used for FC. Well, to my surprise, on my flight (SFO-MIA) yesterday, they handed them out soon they completed the drink service. Is this "normal" and should I expect it on my return. When I've had this aircraft subbed in on the SFO-PHL-SFO routes recently, no tablets were given out. Maybe certain flights only get them.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I was under the impression that the 767, when flying domestic, the tablets are not used for FC. Well, to my surprise, on my flight (SFO-MIA) yesterday, they handed them out soon they completed the drink service. Is this "normal" and should I expect it on my return. When I've had this aircraft subbed in on the SFO-PHL-SFO routes recently, no tablets were given out. Maybe certain flights only get them.
Yes MIA/SFO (and MIA/LAX when a 763) one gets the tablets in F. Other than certain transcons that's it for domestic (don't think the 763 is used anymore for HI).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
You know I was dreading this plane on my MIA-LIM-MIA flight but flew coach on way there and first on way back and did not see the big deal that everyone makes. AS for the amenities, I use my own tablet so I can ensure I watch things i want so that doesn't bother me. IO recall the coach seat being comfy and found no problem with being up front (although I was biased since this was my first time up front ever and I thought it was totally awesome! I think this is the same aircraft we are using to get to MIA-LAS in October and I am actually looking forward to it.
ijgordon, Zacnlinc and Austin787 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by miadukes
You know I was dreading this plane on my MIA-LIM-MIA flight but flew coach on way there and first on way back and did not see the big deal that everyone makes. AS for the amenities, I use my own tablet so I can ensure I watch things i want so that doesn't bother me. IO recall the coach seat being comfy and found no problem with being up front (although I was biased since this was my first time up front ever and I thought it was totally awesome! I think this is the same aircraft we are using to get to MIA-LAS in October and I am actually looking forward to it.
Although I've not been in Y (yet) on this bird, I did peak in Y and it looked ok. But I did notice the faces of a few people that walked on and into Y. Maybe they were on the list of 15+ people on the upgrade list.

When I booked about 10 days prior, F(J) was near full already. That's what prompted to just book F (J) for comfort sake and not chance it for the upgrade. My exit row seats were already taken so I wasn't going for middle anything as no aisles were open towards the front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.