Search

Which lounge at LAX would you use?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
Which lounge at LAX would you use?

Hi-

Travelling SFO/LAX/EZE with about 3.5 hours in LAX on a J fare. AA flight 991 to EZE. My question is would you use the Flagship Lounge in terminal 4 or the Oneworld club in TBIT? I'm assuming flying International J on AA gets you Oneworld lounge access on the day of travel. It looks like the Oneworld lounge at TBIT is a combined BA. Qantas and Cathay. What reviews I can find say The Oneworld Lounge is good but not great and the Flagship lounge just got a makeover and might actually be better.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paul510
Hi-

Travelling SFO/LAX/EZE with about 3.5 hours in LAX on a J fare. AA flight 991 to EZE. My question is would you use the Flagship Lounge in terminal 4 or the Oneworld club in TBIT? I'm assuming flying International J on AA gets you Oneworld lounge access on the day of travel. It looks like the Oneworld lounge at TBIT is a combined BA. Qantas and Cathay. What reviews I can find say The Oneworld Lounge is good but not great and the Flagship lounge just got a makeover and might actually be better.

Thanks,
Paul
With 3.5 hours you could try both.

If it was a choice of the QF F lounge vs. Flagship Lounge there would be a pretty clear winner for me (QF). I haven't spent much time in the Oneworld business lounge, but with 3.5 hours I would probably spend some time in both - they're only a few mins walk apart (although you'll likely have to make it from the Eagle's Nest over to the main terminal complex if you're coming in from SFO).

Last edited by absoluy; Aug 21, 2018 at 4:27 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by absoluy
With 3.5 hours you could try both.

If it was a choice of the QF F lounge vs. Flagship Lounge there would be a pretty clear winner for me (Flagship). I haven't spent much time in the Oneworld business lounge, but with 3.5 hours I would probably spend some time in both - they're only a few mins walk apart (although you'll likely have to make it from the Eagle's Nest over to the main terminal complex if you're coming in from SFO).
wow surprising you would choose QF F over Flagship...to each their own. For me, the food is so much better in QF F. I was even going to suggest oneworld J over Flagship but that is a little more of a toss up. Although not a long walk, it’s also not exactly short. Probably 5-10 minutes depending on how fast your walk. You need to walk through the TBIT airside connector to transit between the oneworld lounges and the Flagship lounge. With 3.5 hours you have plenty of time to see both of you like.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
From my ranking

1. Qantas First Lounge -- sounds like you can't get in but its the best option
2. Flagship Lounge == better lighting, good food choices, good airport views
3. Oneworld Business Lounge == food is good but always seems a bit dark for me
rossmacd, JDiver, atbPy and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
From my ranking

1. Qantas First Lounge -- sounds like you can't get in but its the best option
2. Flagship Lounge == better lighting, good food choices, good airport views
3. Oneworld Business Lounge == food is good but always seems a bit dark for me
Summed it up perfectly.

QF F at LAX is a very good lounge if you look at all available lounges for OWE globally.
C17PSGR and 355F1 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I’m ExPlat, so my options usually are Qantas F, OneWorld J, Flagship. No need to go into Admirals Club or Alaska Lounge.

Qantas F has the best food, I think OneWorld J has the best buffet, and Flagship has the best showers. I haven’t been terribly impressed with Flagship’s buffet, but it’s still decent and the only times I’ve been there was after already eating in Qantas F, so lack of hunger probably was a factor.

If I had access, I’d try out Flagship Dining just for the novelty of it.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
If you get Flagship Dining Experience then thats a no brainer (flagship dining food >> QF F)

Otherwise QF F (if emerald), then Flagship (love its view over Gate 41/43, and food is actually not bad), then OW J
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lightbulbs

wow surprising you would choose QF F over Flagship...to each their own.
Oops! Typo. QF F was the clear winner in the QF F vs Flagship Lounge showdown. Fixed now!
allset2travel likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:36 am

Apart from the food, why do people prefer QF F? I think it's one of the most boring lounges I've experienced...
UAPremierGuy and econometrics like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JFX1764
Apart from the food, why do people prefer QF F? I think it's one of the most boring lounges I've experienced...
From my perspective it’s the most relaxed lounge at LAX - it’s rarely busy, has attentive staff (in both the dining area and wait staff roaming the other areas offering refills / snacks), great food, decent drinks if you’re looking for something basic, great drinks if you’re looking for cocktails, great coffee and tea and decent showers (generally without ever having to wait).

The major downside of the lounge to me is a lack of natural light or an external view - but if I’m only going to be there for an hour or two then I will be preoccupied by everything else. If I have a long layover then I would tend to leave the airport entirely then spend it in any lounge.
rossmacd, jhartvu and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Ive not done the Qantas F lounge at LAX; only the C lounge and I was mighty impressed by the C lounge....
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
All else being more or less equal, I'd prefer to be closer to my departure gate.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:56 am

Since you didn't mention anything about status, the QF lounge is offlimits anyway. I'd just hit up the Flagship lounge; it's most likely going to be more convenient, and should be less busy.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I spent time at both the QF F lounge and Flagship lounge a few weeks back before a flight to Melbourne. Personally, you could easily make a case for one being better than the other. Personally, I prefer the Flagship Lounge. The food is certainly better at the QF F lounge but I think the buffet is pretty serviceable and there are a lot of options. What does it for me though is the self serve drinks, the ability to load up on bottles of water for my flight, and the natural light. I just feel it is much more welcoming (oh and the showers are better). The QF lounge to me is a much more intimate experience. You have servers for everything, it's darker, and less people.

I started out in the Flagship lounge, had a couple of cocktails, sampled some of the food, and enjoyed the views. As I got closer to departure I headed over to the QF F lounge, had a light meal and then relaxed in the quieter and darker lounge. I found this to be a pretty good plan. I left the Flagship lounge right as it started getting busy. While the QF F lounge also got busy with the night flights departing there was still plenty of seating and it never sounded crowded.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by absoluy

From my perspective it’s the most relaxed lounge at LAX - it’s rarely busy, has attentive staff (in both the dining area and wait staff roaming the other areas offering refills / snacks), great food, decent drinks if you’re looking for something basic, great drinks if you’re looking for cocktails, great coffee and tea and decent showers (generally without ever having to wait).

The major downside of the lounge to me is a lack of natural light or an external view - but if I’m only going to be there for an hour or two then I will be preoccupied by everything else. If I have a long layover then I would tend to leave the airport entirely then spend it in any lounge.
There is natural light in the QF F lounge in the row of chairs that face the windows that look out at the duty free and large LED display. Sure,it’s only a sky light but it is natural light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.