Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite status: a pointless goal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think one of the most under-rated/invaluable benefits of status, that you generally can't buy, is priority in the phone queue especially during IRROPs. I mean, what's everyone's time worth? And related to that would be standby priority during IRROPs.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:34 pm

I got AA gold for the very first time in 10 years because of some international work travel this year and am 1300 miles short of getting plat status. If I am not able to get any work travel for the rest of this year is it worth trying to find a MR to get to plat by end of the year?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
^ yes, if...

If you also have made the EQD

and

If you will be flying much next year
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by cyberjet; Aug 29, 2018 at 1:26 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stivelio
I got AA gold for the very first time in 10 years because of some international work travel this year and am 1300 miles short of getting plat status. If I am not able to get any work travel for the rest of this year is it worth trying to find a MR to get to plat by end of the year?
Assuming you've made or will make EQD in those 1300 miles as well. Plat is worth it for the lounge access and fast track security (OW Sapphire) when you travel international. Slight bump in award miles too. (60% bonus) I'd do it if I were you and were that close.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think one of the most under-rated/invaluable benefits of status, that you generally can't buy, is priority in the phone queue especially during IRROPs. I mean, what's everyone's time worth? And related to that would be standby priority during IRROPs.

You actually can buy it: Admirals Club. I find them to be much better at dealing with IRROPS. Of course, you need to be at the airport to take advantage of it.
Zacnlinc and IflyonAA like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
i don't travel anywhere I don't want to be for elite status, but I have valued the benefits sufficiently over the last 25 years or so to take an extra trip in a couple of those years to somewhere I wanted to go in order to keep elite status. As those benefits have diminished, I have assigned less value to them, but I still find it worthwhile to have some status in a couple of alliances. The difference between an exit row seat and a seat with 30" pitch is for me substantial; I do not have time in my life to wait for a checked bag after every flight so I value early boarding; and while I am experiencing IRROPS handling far inferior to what it used to be, when a flight gets cancelled it's very helpful to have my phone call answered within a few minutes. And yes, I too, have had a few op ups on BA and have enjoyed using my diminished SWUs on AA. But everyone has different travel patterns and different priorities.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
Assuming you've made or will make EQD in those 1300 miles as well. Plat is worth it for the lounge access and fast track security (OW Sapphire) when you travel international. Slight bump in award miles too. (60% bonus) I'd do it if I were you and were that close.
I've already reached EQD for plat as well and have tsa precheck/global entry and don't really care much about lounge access. I also have a stash of 1M miles already and accumulate close to 140K miles via cc 2 player method every month. Do you think it's still worth going for it?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've already reached EQD for plat as well and have tsa precheck/global entry and don't really care much about lounge access. I also have a stash of 1M miles already and accumulate close to 140K miles via cc 2 player method every month. Do you think it's still worth going for it?
I absolutely do as long as you think you'll do a fair bit of travel next year. The jump from Gold to Platinum is pretty significant. Better upgrade priority, MCE seats at booking, lounge access internationally, bonus miles, better treatment and recognition and a lower boarding group number. You're so close that an easy MR will get you there.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I absolutely do as long as you think you'll do a fair bit of travel next year. The jump from Gold to Platinum is pretty significant. Better upgrade priority, MCE seats at booking, lounge access internationally, bonus miles, better treatment and recognition and a lower boarding group number. You're so close that an easy MR will get you there.
cool thank you. Any suggestions for any cheap domestic MR from dfw? I have never done MR before and so would appreciate any kindkof info on this
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
cool thank you. Any suggestions for any cheap domestic MR from dfw? I have never done MR before and so would appreciate any kindkof info on this
I agree that with your EQDs met, there is little reason not to make the jump. Plat is really the first level where appreciable benefits exist. Below plat, you can get most benefits with a credit card.

You can do a day trip to LAX: morning departure and evening return for $129 round trip on October 9. That sounds a like a fun day trip and its not a bad time of year to be in LA.

Better yet, September 26 for $101.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
You actually can buy it: Admirals Club. I find them to be much better at dealing with IRROPS. Of course, you need to be at the airport to take advantage of it.
Exactly.

The one thing that AA could do for me to make my status 'worth it' would be a handful of guaranteed at booking upgrades (even if just domestic). An upgrade once a year for me, the wife, and the kid on one leg is worth more than all the complementary "we'll put your name on upgrade lists that you'll never clear".
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Even though i have had some decent upgrade success as a Gold, Platinum is a much more useful tier. If you don't want to take an extra trip, look to see if buying a first class ticket on an upcoming trip is a more cost effective way to get the extra EQM.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I agree that with your EQDs met, there is little reason not to make the jump. Plat is really the first level where appreciable benefits exist. Below plat, you can get most benefits with a credit card.

You can do a day trip to LAX: morning departure and evening return for $129 round trip on October 9. That sounds a like a fun day trip and its not a bad time of year to be in LA.

Better yet, September 26 for $101.
So either of these options will get me the required 1300 EQM?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So either of these options will get me the required 1300 EQM?
Unless they are the hated basic economy fares...If so, we need to find something else. Or, if they are, often the lowest economy fare is about $25 more. So, maybe $150 or $160 round trip.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Unless they are the hated basic economy fares...If so, we need to find something else. Or, if they are, often the lowest economy fare is about $25 more. So, maybe $150 or $160 round trip.
Indeed, those prices are basic economy on Sep 26th.

The $50 more is likely worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.