Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

compensation for issue on AA codeshare operated by BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One

I recently had an issue with an inoperable seat on a paid F fare booked as an AA codeshare operated by BA. I contacted BA, who offered (imho) paltry compensation, but at least it was something...but it is in the form of a BA voucher, which honestly is worthless to me. What normally happens in these circumstances...am I just SOL or is there something that AA or BA will do for me that would be more useful than the voucher?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Contact AA and see what they offer. I was given 9000 avios for IFE that was inoperable for about 1hr.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have run head first into one of the many problems of codeshares, albeit a fairly minor one.

You are not due compensation, but rather some form of a customer service gesture. BA offers set amounts and "pays" in the form of its own vouchers or avios. No different than AA or most carriers.

Your only option here is to send a short note to AA asking whether AA might consider offering the equivalent AA voucher. You are a CK and AA might just do it to keep you happy. As a general proposition, the answer would be a solid "no" and you would be stuck with the BA voucher or nothing.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Often1
You have run head first into one of the many problems of codeshares, albeit a fairly minor one.

You are not due compensation, but rather some form of a customer service gesture. BA offers set amounts and "pays" in the form of its own vouchers or avios. No different than AA or most carriers.

Your only option here is to send a short note to AA asking whether AA might consider offering the equivalent AA voucher. You are a CK and AA might just do it to keep you happy. As a general proposition, the answer would be a solid "no" and you would be stuck with the BA voucher or nothing.
That's sort of what I thought. I will see what AA says, but I am not holding my breath. And yes, compensation may not be the right word, I realize there is no legal entitlement here.

I don't want to hijack my own thread with a different topic, but I find it pretty shocking that BA offered only $300 for an inoperable F seat. I mean, that is the one thing you are actually paying for (I know, CoC says it is to get you from A to B in the cabin you purchased, but to me there is an expectation that it will be done with substantially functional equipment).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:38 am

BA does often offer cash compensation. Have you asked for the amount as cash?
How was the seat inop? $300 is a low amount if it didn't recline at all?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Judging by the way BA operates these days, $300 is quite a bit. AA has no obligation towards you, but may choose a CS gesture given your status. I'm pretty confident any further poking of BA will result in being told to pound sand (but in a nice way.)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
all you can do is ask, and I would ask away on both fronts
But dont hold your breath, if you wait too long, it will probably get lost in the circular bin
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA has no responsibility for a inop seat on a BA operated flight. Push BA, it dontnbe surprised if they don’t respond well or try to push it off ontonAA.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA has no responsibility for a inop seat on a BA operated flight. Push BA, it dontnbe surprised if they don’t respond well or try to push it off ontonAA.
BA has already given the passenger compensation of $300 in voucher - it seems that the poster is trying to get compensation twice, once from BA and again from AA
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
That was definitely one of my questions -- who is responsible, the operator of the flight, or the person who sold it to me? It sounds like it's BA, and that I'm likely SOL.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA has already given the passenger compensation of $300 in voucher - it seems that the poster is trying to get compensation twice, once from BA and again from AA
Well, I know why you say that, but I wouldn't put it quite that way...if they had some sent over cash, an AA voucher, AA miles, etc. -- something of use to me -- I wouldn't even be considering approaching AA. But what they offered isn't helpful to me...it seems that compensation should come in the "currency" that I "paid" with (I know that isn't an entitlement, just what seems to me to be fair).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFX1764
BA does often offer cash compensation. Have you asked for the amount as cash?
How was the seat inop? $300 is a low amount if it didn't recline at all?
I have not, but I will do so.

The seat froze in a partially reclined position. The FAs tried resetting it, etc. but had no success. They did say they could move it upright, or they could move it to the flat position, but that those were the only options, and once I moved it from its current position those would be the only 2 options. I'm sure everyone has a (strong) opinion, but given the price of the ticket (and even the revenue assigned to this segment), I wasn't too impressed with the offer of compensation...it was not even 10% of just the cost of that segment.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no more chance of BA giving AA vouchers as there is of AA giving BA vouchers

When making the complaint with BA, what compensation did you ask for

Also, what exactly was non operational with the seat?

Excepcting both AA and BA to compensate for the same matter seems unreasonable
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no more chance of BA giving AA vouchers as there is of AA giving BA vouchers

When making the complaint with BA, what compensation did you ask for

Also, what exactly was non operational with the seat?

Excepcting both AA and BA to compensate for the same matter seems unreasonable
I agree about the likelihood of getting a voucher for another airline -- what I think "should" be done doesn't align with what I "expect", given the circumstances. The way this "should" work, IN MY OPINION, is that the selling carrier provides the passenger compensation since they sold the flight, and the 2 airlines either agree to eat all of the customer service compensations because they balance out over time (if they sell space on each others flights in approximate equal volume), or they deduct it from the money sent to the other airline.

I'm not sure what else to say about the seat than what I've already posted...if you have a specific question, fire away.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
AA has nothing to do with this, your recourse is with BA, who are not really interested in engaging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.