Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeye Overbooking Bump Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Redeye Overbooking Bump Compensation?

If you volunteer on a red-eye, will AA usually throw in a hotel?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
In my experience yes, plus meal vouchers ......It is all a negotiation at the point of accepting the bump.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:39 am

Don't assume anything...ask and confirm before accepting.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lobo411
Don't assume anything...ask and confirm before accepting.
I was aware of that but thanks. If I had been more careful how I worded my initial post, I would have said "If you ask for a hotel in addition, will they usually agree?"

I frequently fly LAS-PHL redeyes. Last time when I got to the gate they had upgraded me because they were short 3 seats (+5 in F but -8 in Y). But I'd usually rather have a voucher. I didn't know because I usually stay in the Amex lounge until 20 min before departure.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redtop43
I was aware of that but thanks. If I had been more careful how I worded my initial post, I would have said "If you ask for a hotel in addition, will they usually agree?"

I frequently fly LAS-PHL redeyes. Last time when I got to the gate they had upgraded me because they were short 3 seats (+5 in F but -8 in Y). But I'd usually rather have a voucher. I didn't know because I usually stay in the Amex lounge until 20 min before departure.
is that an option? Declining a upgraded class of travel for a voucher?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don’t think a voucher would be allowed as a substitute. The GA would simply upgrade another pax and put the OP back into Y.
LovePrunes and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I don’t think a voucher would be allowed as a substitute. The GA would simply upgrade another pax and put the OP back into Y.
that was my thoughts too.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

That's not what I was implying.

Had I gone to the gate or been aware of the oversold situation at check-in, I would have tried for a voucher.

When I arrived at the gate 20 min before departure, with boarding mostly completed, they were calling my name and gave me the upgraded boarding pass.

Since I'm retired, I usually don't have a burning need to get home quickly. If you gave me a free hotel, an amenity kit, and $50 for Ubers to get around, I'd be happy to stay for another day. They won't give me Ubers but they'll give me far more in a voucher. So it's a trivial decision for me to stay if the option arises. But if I had to pay for a hotel, particularly if it's a Friday night (Vegas hotels are much more expensive on weekends) I'd go home.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While AA generally provides for hotels and food between the original flight and the newly-scheduled flight (unless you have asked for something later than necessary), it is always the case that with VDB, nothing is certain until you have it in hand. If you are not clearly told that a hotel is included, just ask. The worst you get is a "no".

I doubt that it would have mattered had you been at the gate earlier. With F5 availability, AA would have upgraded 5 pax before paying VDB to anyone and having 3 people no show on an xLAS red eye is common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.