Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA142 JFK-LHR NO Arrivals Fast Track lane after 22:00

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat

AA has really improved their Int'l business class offering to Asia and most of Europe (777,787 destinations) and on the JFK-LHR route, they now leave BA in the dust

They have also reinstated the day flight - AA 142 - the only problem with this flight is that usually arrives after the Fast Lane in LHR closes and that creates problems..

The scheduled arrival time is 22:10 and the Fast Lane closes SHARPLY at 22:00 - so, if your flight is not at least 30 Early and parked at a close-in gate you are going to miss it - so, instead of flying through immigration, it took me 1:45M to clear -

if you miss it, be prepared for hell -you will be in the Immigration area with at least 1x A 380 and a few other flights - what makes the matter worse is that at 23:00 there are only 3 immigration officers on duty -

Keep this in mind when you are booking the flight and consider the earlier BA
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:59 am

Doesn't sound fun. Incidentally the length of queues at the UK border is getting some press coverage here at the moment as the summer holidays get underway.

Note if you are a regular visitor to the UK you may want to sign up for the registered traveller scheme which means you could use the EU/e-gate lines. More info here: Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't assume that the Fast Track would have been much better even it it was open. I arrived at Heathrow recently and the queue in fast track was 2 hours
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't assume that the Fast Track would have been much better even it it was open. I arrived at Heathrow recently and the queue in fast track was 2 hours
Interesting - I've been at LHR twice over the last couple weeks coming off AA redeye flights from JFK and I breezed through Fast Track in less than 5 minutes each time. The regular queue looked like it easily could've been over an hour wait given how many people were in line.
reeg2 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:58 pm

Just took 142 in Y and we were through in 10 minutes. Last few times the same so for me it has been quite OK..
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I find FastTrack at LHR in both T3 and T5 to be entirely unpredictable. It seems like whenever I use FT, the regular line moves more quickly. Then when I try the regular line, FT moves along nicely.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
If you are a frequent traveler to the UK maybe the best option is to get the UK Registered Traveler which allows you to use the automated machine as well as the EU/UK line.
econometrics likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
If you are a frequent traveler to the UK maybe the best option is to get the UK Registered Traveler which allows you to use the automated machine as well as the EU/UK line.
That would be so nice if I could actually get one for my foster son - but being under 18 and my having a UK passport and so not able to register myself ( and add him ) , it is rather evilly devised to make it impossible for my need
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I take 142 all the time and Fastrack is usually closed, but immigration has always been empty and I've breezed through.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There were no delays last Tuesday when I arrived on the 142

It appeared there were no queues for non EU passports and US passport holders were arriving at the baggage belt in good time and I heard no complaints about queue lengths or being delayed.

Of course there may be times when queues may be long - all it takes is for another flight to be delayed / arrive early so the queues do build up. No airport is immune from that.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I took AA90 (gets in just a bit later than the JFK flight) three weeks ago and was through immigration in just a few minutes. As the OP points out I was disappointed to find Fast Track was closed, but we breezed through anyway.

As a side note, for the first time I can recall ever in dozens of many international trips, I was asked for proof of onward travel. Luckily my wife had printed out our itinerary and had it handy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.