Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

OSO / IROPS to CUN: Where will the baggage go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum

Was traveling today PHX-DFW-CUN but IROPS from weather delayed our phx/dfw flight many hours and our DFW-CUN flight was cancelled. That was the last flight out tonight. The next available DFW-CUN is not for another couple of days. So we rebooked PHX-CUN direct tomorrow am. BUT they wouldn't take our bags off the PHX-DFW flight. Will our bags end up in Cancun tomorrow without us?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA's system will actually reroute your bags to your new flight. When the agent reissued your tickets for tomorrow, a new tag prints somewhere in baggage and your bags are located and rerouted.

You can confirm this at the counter or gate tomorrow.

This won't always happen on domestic flights, but for international, your bags travel with you.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
AA's system will actually reroute your bags to your new flight. When the agent reissued your tickets for tomorrow, a new tag prints somewhere in baggage and your bags are located and rerouted.

You can confirm this at the counter or gate tomorrow.

This won't always happen on domestic flights, but for international, your bags travel with you.
except we are leaving from PHX in the am and our bags will be sitting in DFW. So it will be physically impossible for our bags to travel with us. So....
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Your bags will get rerouted to the tagged destination. When they may appear there is a good question.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by northernlights1
except we are leaving from PHX in the am and our bags will be sitting in DFW. So it will be physically impossible for our bags to travel with us. So....
They will go on the next DFW-CUN flight, I believe. Per policy, they do not fly bags on earlier/different flights (for example if you were flying PHX-DFW-CUN with a long layover in DFW and there was another DFW-CUN flight before yours, your bag wouldn't go on it) but for IRROPs they will fly it to your destination.

The rule is in place (or has been) for security reasons. The risk is quite mitigated given it is pretty much impossible to plan IRROPs and where your bag is as a result.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
but for international, your bags travel with you.
This is not entirely correct. As Antarius points out:

Originally Posted by Antarius
They will go on the next DFW-CUN flight, I believe. Per policy, they do not fly bags on earlier/different flights (for example if you were
flying PHX-DFW-CUN with a long layover in DFW and there was another DFW-CUN flight before yours, your bag wouldn't go on it) but for IRROPs they will fly it to your destination.

The rule is in place (or has been) for security reasons. The risk is quite mitigated given it is pretty much impossible to plan IRROPs and where your bag is as a result.
The rule is - put in basic terms: You can't voluntarily separate from your checked bag on an international flight involving the US. But if the airline needs to separate you and your bag for operational reasons or due to IROPS it can.
JDiver, wrp96, enpremiere and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Finally talked to someone at American, very busy call center right now (seriously why did they move so move flights from a dependable hub such as PHX to a mess such as DFW during the summer thunderstorms? i digress). They said my bags WILL NOT move from DFW until I get to CUN and file a claim at the baggage desk to start the bags moving again toward CUN. Sound right?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

UPDATE:

We are now on the direct PHX-CUN (next morning) and as of check in this am our bags were at DFW (per ticketing agent) but app still had them checked in for flight in PHX from YESTERDAY. Now we are in the air and the website shows the bags have been loaded and are enroute to Cancun from DFW. In fact it looks like our bags will beat us to Cancun. Good job AA! (still slightly holding breath). Side note (we have gotten 6 different pieces of information from 6 different agents), I'd think this happens often enough they have a playbook and training for their employees??
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: CK or bust
UPDATE:
Side note (we have gotten 6 different pieces of information from 6 different agents)
The AA forum on FlyerTalk sounds the same with anecdotal experiences presented as facts and the other way around. After all, everyone is an expert except when they're not.

Now if FT folks like JonNYC, JDiver, or 3Cforme have any comments on it, you can probably have those etched in stone, framed above your fireplace, printed on t-shirts, or baked in fortune cookies.

Apart from the rough travel start, it sounds like a very enjoyable vacation!
wrp96, Ripper3785 and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE FINAL. So indeed my bags were waiting at the airport from the flight from DFW that got in right ahead of us. Almost on cue just sitting there waiting to get picked up. Not sure if this is the norm but hopefully someone searching for this issue will find this thread. Again kudos for AA for recovering out of a difficult situation. Ultimately there “system” worked well
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
UPDATE FINAL. So indeed my bags were waiting at the airport from the flight from DFW that got in right ahead of us. Almost on cue just sitting there waiting to get picked up. Not sure if this is the norm but hopefully someone searching for this issue will find this thread. Again kudos for AA for recovering out of a difficult situation. Ultimately there “system” worked well
cheers! Glad you were reunited with your bags.

thanks for the updates. These are helpful for others who search later for help. enjoy CUN!!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Side note (we have gotten 6 different pieces of information from 6 different agents), I'd think this happens often enough they have a playbook and training for their employees??
Agents will tell you almost anything. There was another thread a while back repeating the myth that you cannot stand by for an earlier flight when you have checked bags (which is also something an agent told me once). I recently had an agent tell me that I could stand by but not to because there was no way my bag would make it onto the earlier flight. So I declined the standby on the earlier flight. Guess where my bags went? On the earlier flight. I learned my lesson -- never believe what the agent tells you (I should have known from reading FT). A lot of factors are at play and it's all computerized, the agents are just making it up as they go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.